Saturday, October 9, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Streusel Amish Friendship Bread Cake

This is my favorite one yet.  Yup. I've made a bunch of these Amish cakes, and this one is my favorite. 

I seriously ate WAY too much of it.  Thank goodness I'm not keeping count of the calories on these things!  It doesn't count then, right?

I wasn't the best at measuring the cinnamon on this. Just add to your taste.  I also don't remember if I used one apple or 2.  Just eyeball what looks good.  That's one thing I've enjoyed about these amish creations.  The measurements don't have to be precise.  I suppose it would be wise to have the correct amount of baking soda and flour and stuff but the "additions", I've basically just "winged it".  They've turned out pretty well.  :-)

I use 2 - 8 x 8 pans and I've found that the breads and cakes cook better that way but you are welcome to use a 9 x 13 pan, a bundt pan or regular loaf pans. 

Check out the site of Friendship Bread Kitchen for starter and tons of recipes!

Week 1 - Cinnamon Bread
Week 2 - Almond Joy
Week 7 - Banana Cream
Week 8 - Oreo
Week 13 - Strawberry Cheesecake
Here's all of my Amish Creations! 

This is linked with:
Sundays at One Food Club from Cocina Diary
Not Baaaad Sundays with Lamb Around
Let's Break Bread Together at Wit, Wok and Wisdom

Apple Cinnamon Streusel Amish Cake Recipe

About 1 cup starter
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1 - 2 apples, diced
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
1 large box vanilla pudding

1 stick of butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (not sure how much I used)
1 cup chopped pecans

Mix butter, flour, sugar and cinnamon until crumbly. Add pecans and mix.

Spray 2 - 8 x 8 pans with cooking spray. Mix starter and everything else together until combined. Pour half the batter on the bottom of the 2 pans. Sprinkle half of the streusel topping over the cake. Top with remaining cake.  Then sprinkle another layer of streusel topping on the top. Bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees. 


  1. What a great cake to make this time of year - I have so many apples and this would be a great way to use them! I like that there is vanilla pudding in this - I love moist cakes!

  2. I love Apple Streusel so I know that I am going to enjoy this recipe. Diane

  3. what a beautiful apple cinnamon streusel! I love anything with apples and yours look... oh my!

  4. Yum! I just went apple picking yesterday and yesterday was also my 10th day. I think that I will give this recipe a try.

  5. I had one of those starters years ago, but this list of goodies makes me want one again, thanks Debbi! That cake looks delicious.

  6. Another tempting variation, Debbi...I always leave here craving some after I lay eyes on it!

  7. Delicious! Great recipe to use up a couple apples from apple picking!

  8. That looks delicious. Not familiar with starters. Can you store it in the fridge if you have no one to give some to.

  9. Amish friendship bread is wonderful stuff and I love this twist on it! Enjoy it.

  10. Haha - somehow that posted before I could finish saying that this recipe looks delicious.

  11. Oh wow!! Another delicious creation and perfect for this fall season. You are so good!!

  12. had me at "Amish"! LOL We live not too far from an Amish market and cannot stay away from their bakery stand. This looks mouth-watering and I know we'll be trying it soon!

  13. YUM! Looks fabulous!! Thanks for sharing! :)

  14. This sounds so good, apple and cinnamon, better than chocolate and peanut butter!!

  15. Your Apple Cinnamon cake looks absolutely delicious Debbie!Thanks for your recipes and for linking up!:)


  16. Hi dear,
    I have an award waiting for you at my place!Please do come over and accept it:)Thanks so much!