Thursday, September 2, 2010

Twinkie Weiner Sandwich





**Warning! Extremely Unhealthy Meal Ahead!**

Have you ever heard of Weird Al? Of course you have. 

Well, my kids have been obsessed with Weird Al lately.  I have no idea how it started.  But they LOVE his songs and videos.  He is pretty family friendly so I'm okay with that.

The first song they were obsessed with was Albuquerque. It was all they could sing. It's like 11 minutes long and they had most of it memorized!  No joke. 

Then we googled him and found that he had a TV show years ago so we ordered it from Netflix and the kids LOVED it. We have since bought it. It's goofy, it's silly and it sorta has a lesson at the end. It obviously didn't do too well as there is only one season. 

After we googled Weird Al, I saw that he was going to be at the Minnesota State Fair and tickets were JUST going on sale.  So, we got tickets to see him at the State Fair.  Today. Well, yesterday as I meant to post this last night. September 1. This is officially Weird Al day in my house.

The concert was wonderful.  Goofy, silly, everything you could love about Weird Al.     

We also got his movie UHF, which of course, they all loved. Again, it's the silly, goofy, humor that they love.  I grew up loving those kind of movies so it only makes sense that they would love them.  If you loved Top Secret or The Princess Bride, you will know what I am talking about. 

So - in the movie UHF, Al eats a Twinkie Weiner Sandwich.  Shortly after the movie, my kids asked demanded that we have to try them!  Against my better judgement, I agreed. 

It worked out well as our friends were over for dinner that night so there were 8 kids and 8 twinkies so everyone got to try one.  There were mixed reactions. Some thought they were awesome (just because Weird Al ate them), some thought they were "weird" and some just didn't like them. A couple dipped it into milk, just like Al did. 

I took a bite, I had to since I was blogging about it of course.  It was basically just like a very sweet hot dog.  Not horrible but not disgusting or anything.  Just.  Weird.


Twinkie Weiner Sandwich
Adapted from Weird Al Movie UHF

1 Twinkie
1 Hot dog
1 tbsp. Easy Cheese
Milk for dipping

Total calories = 370 calories*

*Warning? Uh, yes, I know there is nothing low calorie or healthy about this. 


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

20 comments:

  1. You are a braver woman than I. There's no way I could get through one bite of that concoction. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! I was listening to Bob & Tom (morning radio show) and they all tried this one day...even the healthy-eater...and they all said it was really good! I've always wondered.... love that you made it =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little boy loves Weird Al too. His current favorite song is Lasagna.

    So...how was that sandwich? Please tell me YOU didn't try it too...OR dip it in milk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet it wasn't too bad with the salty and sweet combo... but it's still not something I'm going to try LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This may be one recipe of yours I don't copy, Debbie! Very funny post. BTW, have you heard Weird Al's version of the Michael Jackson song "Beat It?" It also has a video, and Al's version is "Eat It", with a big BIG fat guy (him padded) singing it. Quite hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like the combination of saltiness and sweetness.
    You are an adventurous foodie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos, I couldn't do it. Just reading what is in it and the fact that you dunk it into milk would be a no go for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love UHF!
    I probably would try this too...after all, I did try the "doughnut burger" at the IN State Fair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so funny Debbi! I love your warning, so much so I had to check it out even though you couldn't get that thing near my mouth! Sounds like lots of fun though and such an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's hilarious, I probably would have liked that when I was a kid too! Can't say I'd like it now though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Debbie, this may be the first of your posted recipes that I am not willing to try. :) Those two things just don't go together. But with that said, my kids would probably love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been in the bathroom where Weird Al recorded "My Bologna"....I'm kind of famous. If your kids want my autograph I'll totally understand. For a small signing fee of course. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love Weird Al here too, but have never even heard of the show or the movie. I can't believe you made this--next you'll be putting a bacon cheeseburger between two Krispy Kreme doughnuts-LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to admit that looks a little gross, but I'd also be curious to try it...

    BTW, I got the book in the mail yesterday! Thanks! My husband was quick to open it up and start reading all the soups he wanted to make so he's excited!

    ReplyDelete
  15. uhhhhh... 370 calories isnt THAT bad! i guess just one would be ok ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boys just love Weird Al don't they? My sons can sing several of them! I'm going to follow...found you on Spotlight Saturday.
    ~Lily
    www.neverfadingwood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOLOLOL!! I use to LOVEE Weird AL growing up! I think my favorite was Omish Paradise! Those twinkies hot dogs look.. well you guys were very brave to try! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is the wildest combination I have seen in a long time!!! I was a Weird Al fan as a teenager. His videos were some of the most entertaining.

    ReplyDelete