Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tangy Sweet Plum Spiced Chicken or Pork





BSI Pork!!  Post your pork recipe over at Slim Shoppin' this week!  I was going to make this will all chicken but the BSI came up and pork was on sale this week so it all worked out good! 

I actually made this with pork and chicken.  I was cooking for us and then was planning to take food to a friend so I make 2 pans of the stuff.  I had 2 1/2 lbs. of chicken tenders and then a little under 2 lbs. of boneless pork chops that I cut into tenders.  Both were excellent and we ended up eating WAY too much of it!  I took a bunch to a friend and I still have a little bit in the frig for tomorrows lunch!


This was SO good! I'm glad I chose this to deliver to my friend and their family.  It was delicious and super easy to make. 

While I liked the variety of the pork, I am a chicken fan. I tend to overcook pork causing it to dry out.  So the pork was a bit dry but still certainly tasty.  I think putting it BACK in the sauce to cook some more made it dry.  It might have been better just to serve immediately.  I'm used to chicken that I can leave on the stove for awhile until I'm ready to tackle it.  The pork didn't like to be ignored and dried up on me. Oh well.

The original recipe calls for Chinese 5 Spiced Powder. I somehow don't have that anymore so I just used cinnamon and cloves and pepper.  That seemed to be the main things in it and it turned out good. I liked the cinnamon taste with it. It contrasted nicely with the plum. 

I also made a really big batch so I increased the proportions quite a bit, go ahead and link to Noble Pig and get the original recipe if you'd like.  Mine is basically the same but I added some sugar, it just needed a bit. 

This is linked with:



Tangy Sweet Plum Spiced Chicken or Pork
Adapted from Noble Pig

2 1/2 lbs. chicken tenders (or pork) (I used a bag of frozen tenders)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. salt (I'm sure I used more)
Lots of pepper
3 - 4 green onions
1 cup chicken broth
1 jar plum sauce
3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. sugar

Coat chicken with spices. Heat pan with cooking spray and cook chicken getting a nice sear on all the sides.  When done, remove and stick on a plate and cover. 

Cut green onions and cook in the same pan that you just cooked the chicken, put a splash of the chicken broth in there to scrape up the browned bits while you cook the onion for a few minutes.  Put the rest of the chicken broth in the pan along with the plum sauce, balsamic vinegar and sugar and heat until boiling. Add the chicken or pork into the sauce and cook until it's coated and slightly thickened and syrupy.  (is that a word?)  Serve over broccoli and/or rice.  Garnish with more green onions if desired.  This made it really pretty when I delivered it to my friend! 


I just made this a few nights ago and it's been super busy so I haven't calculated the calories but I will this weekend and get it in here! I just wanted to post this now as I don't make pork often and I wanted to submit to the BSI this week!! 


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

20 comments:

  1. That looks amazing Debbi! I don't think I have ever bought plum sauce but I shall look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm sweet and tangy sounds just awesome to me! That's one of my favorite flavor combos in Chinese food. I might have eaten both pans of this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the flavors of your dish! Big fan of plum sauce! Sweet and tangy chicken looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbi, that looks splendid! I love plum sauce, though I've never cooked with it, and really love the Chinese Five-Spice Powder. We may have this for dinner tonight! And, thanks again for joining Friday Potluck! I love seeing what you bring each week.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sauce on these sounds absolutely Debbie! I have 5 spice powder just hanging around - I think I only used it once. These would be a great way to use it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie this looks wonderful and I made masses of plum sauce this year! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, yum! That looks and sounds incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great BSI recipe Debbi! I actually was looking for five spice at my grocery store and could not find it at all - but now that I think of it, I was in the spice aisle - maybe I should have been in the Asian aisle?

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't know BSI is still going on...sweet plum...that just makes me salivate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got yourself some tasty looking meals going on there! Thanks for your comments on my blog....if you ever want to knit...come join us :-) I participate in Meatless Monday every week and it looks like you have a lot of meatless dishes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found your blog through links! Love your blog!
    If you ever need new recipes or want to be featured..than please come become a follower to see daily updates and email us if you would like us to feature you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds really good! I would prefer it with chicken as I'm really not much of a pork lover, with the exception of bacon. :) Thank you for adapting the spices so everyday cooks that don't have Chinese 5 spice powder can make it easily!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this looks extra yummy!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always do the same thing with pork. This looks tasty though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks soooo great! Thanks for sharing :)

    Great blog! Happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Debbie - That looks amazing, even if it was a little dry. I seem to do that to pork too 'cause I'm afraid of under cooking it. Love your measurement for pepper, it's sort of my standard as well. Thanks for sharing again this week at Family Food Fridays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds wonderful! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete