Thursday, September 9, 2010

Taco Seasoned Meat - Freezer Cooking


As part of my ground turkey freezer cooking day. I made taco meat. I made enough for 2 casseroles and 2 meals of tacos or taco salads.


I've posted recipes for both the Taco Twist Bake and Taco Cornbread Casserole.  They were both delicious!  We also made tacos and taco salads with the rest of the taco meat.






When you make 4 lbs.of taco meat at one time, it goes super fast and makes the other meals go very quickly as well. 






Taco Seasoned Meat

4 lbs. ground turkey, 93%
2 cups salsa
1 can refried beans

Taco Seasoning:
3 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper

Mix all the spices together.  Set aside. Brown ground turkey until done.  Add salsa and refried beans. You can add more salsa if needed for the right consistency.  Add spices and simmer for about 15 minutes.  Separate into 3 containers.  About 3 cups a piece. 

Total calories = 3162 calories
3 portions = 1054 per portion

I use these for 3 meals:

Taco Twist Bake

Taco Corn Bread Casserole

Tacos
 
Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

22 comments:

  1. Dang I want that taco cornbread casserole. Thanks for reminding me! The seasoning sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I am all about the "do ahead" type dinners. It makes my life so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! YUM! salivating over it. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to try the wrap! Looks mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea. You have the best solutions for getting a healthy meal on the table with little time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy taco..liked the filling..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds tasty! I have to admit, I usually use a packet of taco seasoning (eek... I'm afraid to even look at what unknown ingredients/preservatives are in there!). I will definitely have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always use taco seasoning. maybe I should stop. Sometimes I just use salsa in the meat. I love me some taco SOUP.

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMM. You are so smart for making those freezer meals. I started doing that a month ago and am so glad i did... about a week ago an unexpected finance came up and i couldnt get my normal amt of groceries. my freezer meals are keeping my grocery bill SUPER low... and my cooking effortless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a great idea, and I always forget to do it! Thanks for the reminder, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, we are your newest followers! We hope you will come visit us at www.justmarriedwithcoupons.com, Have a great day =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love taco's but I never thought of cooking up more that I can use later! That's such a great idea! I love the different things you made from it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM! Sounds delicious and what a wonderful idea. I love that you make homemade taco seasoning. I am going to be trying this out and many of your recipes that go with it!! Thanks for another great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy does this look good! What time is dinner? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Visiting from The Girl Creative Blog Hop. Love the Taco Corn Bread Casserole. It looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds wonderful...all of it! I bought a bunch of Perdue frozen ground turkey at a discount store for 99 cents a pound. I better get busy preparing some taco meat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! These all look awesome. I think you have me convinced to start freezer cooking too. I never thought about doing it until I started hanging out here. It seems like such a time saver for those days when it's just too busy to cook, not to mention the cost savings. Thanks for linking up today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love having cooked, seasoned meat in the freezer all ready to go into a meal on a busy night. This sounds like a great, versatile recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love having my ground meat base in the freezer! I don't usually season mine, but I add my peppers, onions, etc. to the meat when it's cooking. Then I cool and freeze into meal sized portions. I leave out the seasoning that way, I can decide at dinner time what recipe I'll be using the ground meat for. I pretty much use the same base for meat sauce, tacos, hamburger macaroni, shepherd's pie, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks so good :) I will definitely try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea!! Love the homemade taco seasoning you used.

    ReplyDelete