Thursday, September 2, 2010

Salsa Bacon Baked Beans





Yes, more baked beans. I told you I really do love baked beans! 

I also love salsa. So when I saw this with salsa or picante, I knew I had to try it.  It was awesome.

We use a medium salsa which isn't too spicy.  I didn't think that this was spicy at all. 

I also used an applewood smoked bacon that just rocked this recipe!! 




I think I have 3 baked beans recipes on this blog now. I couldn't tell you which was the best. Seriously.  They all are awesome. In my opinion at least.  :-)

Salsa Bacon Baked Beans
Inspired from The Finer Things in Life


6 slices of bacon, diced
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cans baked beans
2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 can butter beans, drained and rinsed (I used one butter and one great northern)
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup sugar or sugar substitute
1/4 cup molasses
2 tbsp. mustard
1 tsp. salt
1 cup picante sauce (I used medium salsa)


Slow cooker method: Fry bacon and onion in skillet until bacon is crispy.  Add all the beans to the crockpot.  Add bacon and onion.  Mix ketchup, BBQ sauce, splenda, mustard, molasses, salt and salsa.  Add to bean mixture. Stir and cook on low for 4 - 5 hours in crock pot.


Baked method: Fry bacon in a large stock pot until bacon is crispy.  Add all the beans to bacon and onion.  Mix ketchup, barbeque sauce, sugar, mustard, molasses, salt and salsa.  Blend, then add to bean mixture.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour.  If you want runnier beans, keep the lid on for 40 minutes of baking time, otherwise for thicker beans, bake uncovered.


Total calories = 3510
10 cups = 351 calories per cup

More recipes with beans!!'

Sweet Slow Cooker Baked Beans

Lemon Garlic Hummus

Chili Con Carne


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

34 comments:

  1. I keep saying it, I love beans, just love em':@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made any this summer and this recipe, with the salsa, is calling my name! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great recipe and beans are such a good protein. Kick it up with salsa and you've got a fabulous party dish. I'm going to try it soon. Thanks so much...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm! MMmm! Mmmmm!

    We love baked beans! And I love using an assortment of beans too!

    I can't wait to try these! I have one container of baked beans in the freezer so it's time to make another batch! I'm going to try this recipe!

    Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love baked beans too!Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds fabulous - into my recipe file it goes!

    Happy FF.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  7. No getting around it, beans need bacon! Actually, most anything is better with bacon! Great recipe and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I deleted that because I spelled your name wrong...shame on me....one more try
    This looks really great and inexpensive, exactly what I needed right now.
    Thanks DebbI....:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this recipe. One more for the file!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made a similar recipe, without the salsa. Now I will have to try it again with salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, yum!! I never would have thought of this combo, but I'm going to try it..for sure!! Thank you oh so much for linking up this sweet creation at the FABULOUS FRIDAY FINDS party today!! I hope your weekend is wonderful!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't eat the bacon but this looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun twist on traditional baked beans. Sounds like a delicious recipe... you can never have too many beans :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You had me at bacon! I love baked beans too, for some reason I only think to make them in the summer, but they are pure comfort food.

    Happy Friday Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look DELCIOUS!! I love the addition of the salsa and the mixture of beans. Not to mention the applewood smoked bacon YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delish and comforting! I like to wrap them up in a tortilla and wash down with a glass of cold drink!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How interesting! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beans and bacon just belong together and I bet the smoked bacon made this out of the world! Perfect to take to a cookout this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You can never have too many bean recipes! I stocked up on dried beans yesterday, I can only imagine what they thought at the checkout! lol

    Thanks for linking these up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What about FAT? Seems to be a lot of FAT, not to mention SODIUM in this?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Debbi-thanks for the kind words on my blog tonight. I was kind of concerned posting it that people were not going to relate( as I am not sure I could if I hadnt been through all that) and think I was some negative cranky person. hehe. Your comment was sweet. thanks again.

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll have some beans please...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These baked beans look and sound delicious! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Since I have to take baked beans to an island picnic Sunday I am going to try your recipe. I like the slightly different twist.

    ReplyDelete
  26. One can never have too many recipes for baked beans. There are just so many flavor variations! This is another good one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello I am a new follower from SS. I would love a follow back at
    http://megankayden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks great! I am your newest follower from Spotlight Saturday! I'd love it if you could visit/follow me back at:

    www.momsbalancingact.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. My husband will go wild over these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Is this the one you ate 24/7 until they were gone? If so, I must try them!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These look delicious. Bookmarking this one. Can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for participating in the BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I loved baked beans. I've never had them with salsa though! These look tasty!

    Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  33. So I finally made this (or at least this minus whatever I didn't have). It turned out fantastic, this is a great recipe, easily adaptable and the kids loved it.

    ReplyDelete