Monday, September 13, 2010

Pasta Rotini with Eggplant Tomato Puree



I don't eat a lot of pasta.  But I LOVE roasting vegetables!

I also don't cook with a lot of eggplant but I picked some up at the farmers market and this sounded excellent!

The vegetables smelled SO GOOD roasting in the oven.  I swear, I should just roast vegetables every day to make my house smell good.  Luckily I chose a cooler day so the house didn't heat up to much.


This turned out so good!  I have a fairly small food processor so I was a bit afraid it wouldn't all fit but it did.  It didn't really take up too much room. 

I also chose to puree the pine nuts in the sauce rather than just sprinkle them on top. Either way works. 

The only thing I would do different would be to add a bit of onion. I just love onion and it just seemed like it needed to be there. 



My carb loving family asked insisted on some sort of bread with the meal.  I just don't get it as they are eating pasta, why do they need more bread!? 

I relented and make this 91,000 calorie cheesy garlic bread for them. I did eat a piece of course. I have no idea how many calories it actually was but with a huge piece of Italian bread, a stick of butter and a ton of parmesan cheese, it must have been a lot.  They didn't have any problem eating it all though. 

 




Rotini with Eggplant Tomato Puree

1 medium eggplant, mine was just under 1 lb., cut into 1 in. cubes
1 pt. cherry tomatoes
4 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
Pasta, I used Barilla Plus Rotini, 14.5 oz.
1/4 cup torn fresh mint leaves, I used less
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

In a large bowl, combine the eggplant, cherry tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
Spread the vegetables out in an even layer on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Roast in the oven at 400 until veggies are tender and eggplant is golden, about 35 minutes. 


While the veggies are roasting, place the pine nuts in a small baking dish.  Place in the oven on the rack below the vegetables.  Roast until golden, about 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and reserve. 

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions.  Pour pasta into a large bowl. Reserve about 1 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.

Transfer the roasted veggies to a food processor. Add the torn mint leaves.  Puree the vegetables, mint leaves and pine nuts. Transfer the pureed vegetables to the bowl of pasta and add the parmesan.  Stir to combine, adding the pasta cooking liquid 1/2 cup at a time until the pasta and sauce is saucy. 

Total calories = 2218 calories
6 servings = 370 calories per serving

Pasta Rotini with Eggplant Tomato Puree = 370 calorie dinner**

**Plus the slice of unknown calorie garlic bread

More pasta recipes you might like!

Turkey Primavera

Macaroni and Cheese

Cheese Ravioli with Onion Butter Sauce


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

39 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful! Do you think I can leave the pine nuts out all together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmmmmmmmmmm! I love eggplant! And I know if I made this my boys would never know. I am totally tagging this on delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm.... garlic bread. I don't eat bread, but garlic bread is the one bread based treat that still calls to me. Sometimes I am strong enough to abstain and others, well... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pasta and this sounds delicious! I like eggplant but don't cook with it all that much so this will be a perfect recipe to try.

    Stopping over from A Beautiful Mess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never roasted veges in the oven. What a great idea. I think mine usually come in the bag. lol Thanks for the inspiration. Sounds delish. And thanks for linkin up to tasty tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bread reminds me of Pioneer Woman's garlic bread - you don't count calories with that kinda bread - but nice to have every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roasted vegetables (which I love), pasta and bread too. I am in love. I will be there shortly to enjoy this meal with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love eggplant but of course hubs doesnt BUT maybe I sneak it in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love roasting veggies too! And I love eggplant but also haven't cooked with it much! I am excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for linking up with Hearth and Soul this week. I'm not a big pasta person, either, but I do so love roasted eggplant. I'd love to sink my teeth into some now. This is a great recipe idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Debs, I am so with you on the roasted vegetables! I usually do the winter ones, but totally love some eggplant nice and caramelized with the maters and onions! thanks for linking to the hearth n soul hop! :) Alex

    ReplyDelete
  12. All my favourite foods so I know I will enjoy this. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. With my love of pasta. And eggplant. and pine nuts. I am SO all over this. My family requires bread with pasta as well and I've never understood it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey girl!! I think eggplant is one of the VERY few veggies I just do not like, lol.

    Thanks so much for the comment on my blog earlier...I wasn't able to post the comments...I did an update on my blog to let everyone know why. And you asked how tall i am.....I'm 5'10, and my goal weight is 170 lbs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbi - well now I do do pasta and this sounds so stinkin' heavenly!! And I am with your family, pasta neeeeeeeeddddssss 91,000 calorie garlic cheesy bread!!! Thanks for sharing at Hearth and Soul!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sauce is an amazing idea. I have a similar recipe for roasted eggplant and pepper puree that'd be perfect using that method.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds great! I've been trying to incorporate eggplant into something but don't love the texture. I think this is the ticket! The bread sounds pretty darn good too....

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds DELICIOUS! I don't make pasta very often, either, but this recipe sounds so good. I love roasted veggies... especially tomato and zucchini :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are making me so hungry! Unfortunately it's 96 degrees here, so I won't be trying this out for a while. :( Remind me about it again around December....when it will be down to 80....ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Serve pasta with some bread .... I love it too.
    The pasta looks tempting with roasted veggies sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a lovely recipe for using eggplant - and luckily I have one on hand! I like how the veggies are roasted and then pureed. And your 91,000 calorie garlic bread (that made me smile!) looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love pasta. I cannot get enough of it. This looks really good, I love the roasted eggplant and tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. yea, i would insist you make that bread too!

    i love roated veggies on my pasta! great pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a phenomenal recipe. I am eating too well, because of you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mmmmm, delicious AND healthy. Nice work!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. YUM!! I love the roasting of the vegetables idea. I would of never thought of it. Another brilliant and delicious idea.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love roasted veggies, and I love pasta! What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  28. this looks gorgeous. and i love the idea of mint rather than the more obvious basil. thanks for sharing with ppn

    ReplyDelete
  29. yum! i am a pasta girl myself..i don't know why bread tastes so good with pasta..but it does! we have so many eggplants from our garden, i am so happy to have another great recipe to use them in. thank you for linking up another wonderful recipe to TNSC!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I too love roasted vegetables. That recipe looks so good and that bread, I just gained 5 pounds reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks delicious. Roasted vegetables are so awesome!!! There's just something about bread with pasta! Carbs and more carbs!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the sound of using the eggplant puree as a sauce...good way to get that eggplant in there (since nobody else in the family really digs it)!! Delicious and comforting...thanks for sharing it w/ the hearth'nsoul hop,Debbi! =)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I really love this roasted eggplant sauce! Roasted veggies have tons of flavor. Totally delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great recipe! Eggplants sounds great in it and love roasted veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am not sure which I want more, the rotini or the bread.....yep....the bread. The bread is naughty. The pasta is good.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sweet Genius!! The 91000 calorie bread is hilarious!

    Thanks for always linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday, it's great to have you each week!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sorry I am so late in commenting this week, but belated thanks for linking at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays! I could eat this everyday and be very satisfied!

    ReplyDelete
  38. hey debbie - thanks for the inspiration. made my own version of this the other night with some sausage added to the mix. came out great http://aslottedspoon.blogspot.com/2011/08/roasted-eggplant-and-tomato-pasta.html

    ReplyDelete