Monday, September 27, 2010

Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich with Pesto Hummus






Have you ever been to Panera?  Heard of it? 

I don't know if they are nation wide or not.  It is basically a coffee bagel shop.  The bread place is what we call it.  We meet there with friends several Saturdays a month. Usually we just get their bagels.  They seriously have some awesome bagels and pastries.

This time, my friend ordered the Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich.  She shared it with me. It was amazing.  We found out it was a pesto hummus.  I thought,

"I can recreate this!"  So I set out to make my copy cat version of Panera's sandwich.



The bread was really sweet, we decided it must be a tomato basil bread.

So at home, I googled tomato basil bread and pesto hummus.  I found several recipes, I altered them to my tastes and voila!  My sandwich was created!





This was amazing.  Seriously amazing. Like I could eat it every day for a month kind of amazing. 

The bread wasn't as fluffy and sweet as Panera but it was still very flavorful and delicious.  There was feta on the sandwich and I did NOT put it on my sandwich but adds a nice tang to it.

The pesto hummus would taste good on my shoe.  Wow.  It was SO GOOD.  I didn't miss the meat at all. Nope, not a bit.

Go make this. You won't be disappointed.

This is linked with:
Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey, What's For Dinner
This is also my submission to Souper Sundays over at Kahakai Kitchen.
This is also linked with Works for Me Wednesday at We are THAT Family. MUCH cheaper than going to Panera and hopefully more healthy!  Works for me!





Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich with Pesto Hummus
Inspired from Panera sandwich

Pesto Hummus:
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 tbsp. lemon juice
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 tbsp. tahini
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Pepper, to taste
1/2 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted and cooled
2 tbsp. water (more or less as desired for consistency)

In a food processor, combine all the ingredients.  Add water slowly until desired consistency is reached. 

Sandwich:
Spread tomato basil bread with Pesto Hummus on both sides. Top with lettuce, red onions, tomatoes and cucumbers. Add feta (optional, I didn't use this but it was on the original sandwich)  Enjoy!

Calories for pesto hummus = 1100

I don't have an exact calorie count for this but it's very healthy !!


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

37 comments:

  1. This has my name written all over it! I love that sandwich at Panera and this is exactly like something I would love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a Panera just down the street, but I never go...I will make the pesto hummus...It sounds great...and to answer your question white wine worcestershire is on the same isle as the regular worcestershire...but sometime it is labeled worcestershire for chicken or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOOVE it, Debbi! Panera is rockin'...personally, it's the asiago cheese bagels all the way ;) This looks fabulous, thanks for sharing it w/ the hearth and soul hop this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Panera is great! This is my favorite sandwich there. :) Of course I love their pastries, too. The cinnamon crunch bagel is my favorite. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking sandwich!

    We have Panera, my kids made me recreate the Chipotle Chicken Panini!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Panera, so this will be great for the budget, Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, Once in a blue moon my girls beg me to lunch at Panera, which I think is a great place because my daughters will eat the broccoli cheddar soup! I also adore their tomato basil bread and I love trying copy cat recipes such as this. Pesto hummus does sound amazing. Thanks so much for sharing on the hearth and soul hop this week! :) Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had this sandwich there once and it is really good. I never thought to recreate it at home. I will have to try this recipe, all I need to find is tahini. That could be a problem out here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE hummus and should make it more, this recipe looks great, love the basil. This is definitely my kind of sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my FAVORITE sandwich at Panera. I am not usually the type to order the same item when eating out...but I can never get myself to order anything else when at Panera. I am going to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm drooling, and it's not just getting older that's doing it. That is some seriously good food there. I'll be doing this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Panera! I have never ordered this sandwich (I love the salad with apples) but looks so good. Will make it for sure. One thing I always get at Panera is a chai tea latte....soooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I make hummus on a regular basis, mmmmmmmm it is so delicious. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. You inspire me with your copycats and creations. You are one brave baker and the results are fabulous looking. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbi! I would so try this! This looks amaaazing. :) I've actually only been to Panera once, when I was in like, 2nd grade, and I was super picky. All I wanted was PB&J on white bread and they *gasp* served it on whole wheat. Completely ruined the experience. ;) I really should go there again haha.
    I love the pesto hummus!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debbi,
    I also love Panera - can you believe I have never gotten a bagel? Or this sandwich - I love everything in it and your pesto hummus - a definite to try! Thanks for linking this to the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome sandwich Debbi! Love that pesto hummus!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love any kind of vegetable sandwich, yours looks amazing! Your hummus pesto would be good anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum! I have a ton of basil in my garden and was sick of making plain pesto. This is definitely what I'm doing with the rest! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never been but my daughter raves about it. Thanks for sharing the awesome sandwich.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your blog, all your recipes sound great! I have had Panera's version of this and yours looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Before I was diagnosed as a celiac, I would have given you my first born for a loaf of Panera's asiago bread :) Thanks for linking up with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Panera! There is one not even 3 minutes from my house - and I visit it a lot! This is one sandwich I have never had. But I can tell you if you like this you should try some of the others - and the soup is really, really good too. I love that you recreated this! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This sandwich at Panera is one of my faves!! I'd love to recreate it at home... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Panera, pesto, and hummus--so I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We don't have Panera here in New Zealand, but I'm loving the sound of that pesto hummus.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  27. We have a Panera, but I admit that I have never been. This sounds delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds delish. Right up my alley. And I might just have all the ingredients. YUMMY!! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for linkin up to tasty tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Guess where I got lunch today....and guess what I ordered?!! And it was yummy!!

    I was at the hair salon today getting a cut and color (yeah). One of the owners came with her lunch from Panera. I told my stylist of your blog entry about this sandwich....we asked the gal what she got....and it was the Mediterranean Veggie sandwich! I went right to Panera and got me one too along with a chai.

    Now I need to make it for myself....

    ReplyDelete
  30. We have a Panera and me and J's sister love meeting up for lunch there too. I usually go for the 1/2 1/2 deal where you can get a cup of soup and a half of a sandwich or a small salad. I haven't been in awhile though and have never tried this sandwich there!

    I love that you recreated it at home, I always think I'll do that but get too lazy and get it at the place. hehe

    Thank you for sharing this with Friday Firsts!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I will make this pesto hommous and put it on my shoe. It better taste as good as you say it will. (just kidding, but that totally made me laugh.) Thanks for linking up to Vegetarian Foodie Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your sandwich looks really delicious--I love that pesto hummus--Yum!
    Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for linking this to MMM. The more I look at this sandwich, the more I want it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This sounds positively delicious!=)

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow yum! great colors! thank you for participating in the Copycat Club

    ReplyDelete
  36. This actually looks better than the panera sandwich! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I made this for my lunch--I love it! I forgot to put the lettuce (duh) but there is plenty of everything left and I plan to have it for dinner too. I purchased a tiny palm-sized white eggplant at the farmer's market last Saturday and had no idea what I was going to do with it, so I roasted it in some garlic oil with a tiny bit of oregano and used it on the sandwich--it went together very well! I also put a teeny tiny sprinkling of feta. Thanks for sharing--it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete