Monday, September 20, 2010

Italian Sausage Pasta with Zucchini & Broccoli Alfredo Sauce






This started out as one recipe and quickly was morphed into something completely different. It started out as an alfredo sauce with grated zucchini in it.


I LOVE alfredo sauce but hardly ever make it as it is usually pretty high calorie with pasta.


My meat eating brother said he thought it needed meat.  I disagreed.  However, I aim to please, so I caved.  I wasn't in the mood to add chicken. I then remembered a sausage link buried way back in the freezer that needed to be found.  So here I was all of a sudden adding MORE calories!

I soon decided that it needed more veggies.  Enter broccoli. 



It turned out really good.  Not like I had planned originally but still very good.  I don't eat pasta a lot and I love a good white sauce. This was super simple and didn't require a roux or anything.  Just a brick of melted cream cheese and a bunch of veggies. My kind of meal.

Don't forget to enter my Sunglass Warehouse giveaway!!

This is linked with:
Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Bellini Valli from More Than Burnt Toast and Ruth from Once Upon a Feast
Tuesday at the Table from All the Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday from Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Tasty Tuesdays from A Beautiful Mess
Tempt My Tummy at Blessed with Grace
Delicious Dishes from It's a Blog Party






Pasta with Zucchini Alfredo Sauce

1 (12 oz) pkg. egg noodles, I used whole wheat noodles
1/2 lbs. Italian sausage link, cut up
4 cloves garlic
1 medium onion
4 cups shredded zucchini and/or summer squash (I had a combo)
2 cups chopped broccoli
1 cup milk, 1%
8 oz. cream cheese, reduced fat
1 tsp. dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook noodles until done. 

Cook Italian sausage and onion in a pan for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook for about 2 minutes.  Mix in zucchini and broccoli and cook for about 8 - 10 minutes until some of the moisture has evaporated. 

Turn heat way down, pour the milk into the skillet.  Stir in cream cheese until melted. Mix in basil.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve over cooked pasta. 

Total calories = 2683 calories
6 servings = 447 calories per serving

Italian Sausage Pasta with Zucchini & Broccoli Alfredo Sauce = 447 calorie dinner


More pasta recipes you might like!

Macaroni and Cheese

Cheesy Butternut Squash Baked Ziti

Turkey Primavera

Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

27 comments:

  1. Sneaky way to get my kids to eat squash!! I will definitely try this one as they love alfredo sauce and I totally agree with you on the caleries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the use of cream cheese to make a white sauce. Super idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya gotta love alfredo! With or without the sausage this is a winner, I'd probably spoil the low calorie thing with a ton of Parmesan cheese but that's because I seem to put cheese on everything. There's nothing like publishing recipes to point out your weaknesses, for me....CHEESE...

    Great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm. I love pasta and I really like the premise of your blog being healthy and low cal. I just found your blog from eat at home cooks. I just started blogging too, if you are interested in checking my blog out its notjustdecorating.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that sometimes the best dishes are the ones that end up different than they started out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum I love broccoli and this is a slick way of adding it in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I have some sausages around that need using up I put them in a pasta or rice dish (like a paella or risotto, as I can make more of it and eat less sausage (and less fat), plus have extra for another meal :)

    It look tasty, I will have to remember it for when our zucchini's have grown :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe sounds delicious! I love all the healthy ingredients =)This looks really yummy. I got to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does look totally delicious and worth the calories. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have 3 patty pan squash sitting on my counter right now - just begging to be added to white sauce! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just stopping by from Tasty Tuesday. Your pasta dish looks great. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice pasta with broccoli..yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great way to squeeze in some veggies! Not sure I could ever make a veggie meal for my husband - he loves meat in everything!

    Hope you had a great weekend Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delish and chock full of good for you veggies. Nice work. Love when things work out...

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anything with alfredo has to be delish. What a great way to disguise veges for the kiddos. Thanks for sharing and linking to tasty tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We all need to splurge every once in a while. This looks like it would be worth a cheat here or there. :o) Looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbie, This is just my style. I am bookmarking it. I hope to get all the ingredients on my next trip to the store. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh, Debbi, that looks awesome! I'd eat it with or without the pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OOOH!! Looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Dorcas
    http://4sweetangels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. They make whole wheat egg noodles?! I need those STAT.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really love this recipe. Thanks or sharing and linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Pasta is a winner at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how you morphed it into something totally different from what you intended! It really looks totally delicious. So rich and creamy - love the cream cheese in it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds so tasty... I'm going to try it out with Turkey sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like your quick Alfredo technique with the cream cheese. A good reason to always have some on hand. And, you kept balancing out the additions with veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a great recipe because you were able to come up with something different from the usual alfredo recipe. What makes it even more interesting is that there's a veggie and meat combination, making it a flavorful and a healthy dish at the same time. This is a must-try! :)

    Alex Staff

    ReplyDelete