Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Homemade Tomatillo Green Salsa



I've never made anything with tomatillos before.  Though they've intrigued me!   I've seen them at the store and they look so cute. I just didn't know what to do with them. 

Until Jenn from Slim Shoppin' made an awesome looking green salsa.  She raved so much about it that I just had to make it!


I didn't have a poblano pepper, I KNEW I forgot something!  So I just used a red pepper. So, it's not so green anymore. Oh well.  I think this is the kind of recipe that you can pretty much just stick anything in and it will be awesome!  (well, maybe not peanut butter)




I used this salsa on MANY things!!  I made some cheesy chimichangas and drizzled a bunch on them. 



I also made an egg quesadilla several mornings with egg beaters and the green salsa!  Super low calorie, filling and incredibly tasty! 



I also used it on a Chipotle Bean Burger salad!  I LOVE these bean burgers and buy them in bulk at Costco. 

Finally, it was used on a chicken salad made with leftover chicken from a buffalo wing pizza.  So basically, you can put this stuff on pretty much anything! 

It was SO quick & easy to make.  I will totally make this again!  The only thing I would do different is add some cilantro. 

The only bad part was after I had the blender out and cleaned. The kids asked demanded milk shakes for dessert!  Not so good on the calories but hey, the blender was already out, right? And no, we didn't use the salsa with the milk shakes!   


This is linked with:
No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table
What's For Dinner? at Hon, What's For Dinner
Works For Me Wednesday at We Are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
What's on Your Plate?  at Good Cheap Eats
Hearth & Soul from Girlichef
Wholesome Whole Foods at Healthy Food Lover
Vegetarian Foodie Fridays at Breastfeeding Moms Unite
My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory
Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey, What's For Dinner Mom?



Green Tomatillo Salsa Recipe
Adapted from Slim Shoppin'

About 10 tomatillos, paper removed
1 onion, chopped
1 poblano pepper (I used red), rough chopped
4 -5 cloves of garlic, peeled (I so went heavy on this, I love garlic)
Juice of 1/2 lime
Few drops of hot sauce (to taste)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Cilantro (optional) I didn't but would next time

Chuck everything in a pan with olive oil and cook for about 10 minutes until it starts to cook and tomatillos get a bit of color. Charring it a bit is fine too.  Dump it in a blender or food processor and blend away.  Enjoy!

22 comments:

  1. YUM! I want the egg quesadillas for sure! Your house must have smelled wonderful, I've never cooked the veggies first like that for salsa but I will now. Oh, and the garlic....4 - 5 cloves sounds just right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! They are always making this on food network shows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I love tomatillo salsa, but I've never made it before. This looks so delicious, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great recipe. These look filled with flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The salsa looks amazing. Ill give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could really go for some of that right now, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the shot of the tomatillos all charred... so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so tasty! I love tomatillo salsa and breakfast tacos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if you could use regular green tomatoes? I'm not sure all mine will turn before they start to rot on the vine and I am so blessed with tomatoes they are coming out....well everywhere. I'm thinking I'll give it a try and then tell you about it, if you'd like.
    Thanks for sharing. Take care and have a blessed afternoon. Hope it's not as cold and rainy down there as it is up here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! I just made some salsa. But didn't like it. This recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you got to try tomatillos! I love how versatile salsa is - you were creative in how you used it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will have to try this. I love to eat salsa on so many things!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hellow!

    I love your site, It is a pleasure to visit.

    I have added your site to my site.

    Please link my site to your site.

    Thank you!

    http://diethealthyouth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This look so good, I have been making our salsa here lately. This is one to try, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Salsa verde is definitely one of my must-haves! Yours is making my mouth water this morning! Love that last pic :P""""""""""""" Thanks for sharing it with the hearth and soul hop this week, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debbie - I love how simple this is for a great salsa! I love how versatile it is too (well no in shakes but just about everything else!)
    thanks for linking to the hearth and soul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbi! This is one of my all-time favorites. I swear that I could put it on just about everything. Thanks for linking this recipe with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never used tomatillos before but you make them appealing so I should try it.

    I am getting braver as I try more foods. You are a big help in spurring me on.

    Thanks for linking to MMM.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so much heart green tomatillo salsa but have never made it before. Not many tomatillos where I live. I will have to go searching! Thanks for linking it up at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love homemade salsa! it's the best :) Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday, see you next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing this at Wholesome Whole Foods at HealthFoodLover!

    ReplyDelete