Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cilantro Rice



We're not big rice eaters.  So when I do make it, it better be good. 

I love, love, love cilantro so when I saw this recipe on Tiffanee's blog, I knew I wanted to try it. 

This was good, very good.  I liked the flavors and it went perfect with this Aztec Chicken with Pico de Gallo that I posted on Our Krazy Kitchen.

Only one problem.. 


...I can't make rice!!

Seriously, I either overcook it, burn it, or don't cook it long enough.  This time I didn't cook it long enough or something but it was crunchy.  I THINK I added the right amount of water but who knows. 

Seriously, this always, always happens with rice.

If we ate rice more often, I'd buy a rice cooker.  I'm sure I'd find a way to screw that up too though!!

It was still fine and it DID taste awesome, despite the inefficient cook!

Don't forget to enter my Sunglass Warehouse Giveaway!!

This is linked with:






Cilantro Rice
Adapted from One Crazy Cookie

3 cups water or chicken stock
3 cups rice, rinse and drain several times
3 bouillon cubes (if not using chicken stock)
1 1/2 tbsp. minced garlic
1 can green chiles (small can)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 cup onion, diced

Boil water or stock.  Add rice and the rest of the ingredients. Stir, simmer for about 30 minutes covered.

Total calories = 2170 calories
8 servings = 271 calories

Aztec Chicken with Pico de Gallo + Cilantro Rice = 456 calorie dinner

This makes a lot of rice! I am not for sure how many servings, but I'd estimate about 8 big servings. 


More to enjoy!!!

Lemon Quinoa with Broccoli

Italian Zucchini with Tomatoes

Carrots with Maple Balsamic Browned Butter



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

19 comments:

  1. Hi Debbi, this works.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgMKbHCuesM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish my husband would learn to like cilantro - I only started to like it in the past year or so but now I love it! Maybe he wouldn't notice if I sneak it in?!

    Cilantro rice sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so funny! Rice is actually a lot harder than it seems.

    I love cilantro! need to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is my no-fail way to make rice. 1 part rice to 2 parts water (ie. 1cup rice, 2cups water).

    Bring water to a boil, add rice. Cover pot with lid and turn burner down to simmer or lowest setting for 15 minutes.

    After 15 mins is up, turn off heat and let pot sit on burner for another 5 mins. Then serve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cilantro sounds really yummy in rice. I always make my rice in the microwave and it is 100% every time. Meadows08 has the next best answer for me though I would cook it for about 10 mins and then leave it longer after. Easy to heat up after in the micro if necessary. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't cook it either & funny how we both have rice posts today! But, buying a steamer helped me tremendously! Looks great : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, I love cilantro. This looks like something I will have to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never have trouble with white rice but I do tend to overcook brown. I almost ruined the rice again last night! My hubby and youngest daughter do not like rice so if I make it, it's for me and anyone eating with us. I like cilantro....will have to try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. White rice is verboten around her and brown rice CAN be tricky to get right. But ever since Cooks Illustrated published its oven rice, I've been using my own variation, Oven-Baked Brown Rice. Maybe the oven will work better for you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. i always sucked when i made rice until i learned the trick to measuring. I steam my rice now which is really effortless but make sure to use equal parts water and rice. Boil your water, add the rice, boil for 5 minutes. Cover and reduce heat to the lowest setting and let cook uninterupted for 15 minutes. Fold rice, cover and then let cook more on lowest setting for 10 more minutes. Your rice should be fluffy and yummy. hope that helps

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cilantro rice, it always reminds me of Chipotle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know people have alot of different ways to make rice, but mine always turns out great.

    I take 2 cups water/stock add 1 cup rice, bring both up to a boil (uncovered) and then reduce to the lowest setting on your burner, put a top on, set the timer for 15 minutes and it should be perfect (not crunchy!) I love adding the cilantro, I've never made that before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have trouble making rice on the stove top too! I do have a rice cooker and it is fool proof. However it is so old that it doesn't have a brown rice setting so I use Alton Browns perfect oven rice recipe and it never fails me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoy cilantro rice. This looks like a great recipe. Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad you liked it. Sorry about the issue!! I need to look and make sure I got the water correct. I could not cook rice until I got a rice cooker (unless it was minute rice.). Thanks for the link up. You are so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a dish that my family would really enjoy. I especially like the low calories.
    It's been awhile since I made white rice. I believe it's 1 cup rice 2 cups water, bring to boil,add cover and simmer for 15 mins.
    We eat brown rice these days and that takes more water and longer cooking time.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. So I made this. Yum! Served it along side some soup. Linking back to you. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been really working on a low-fat, low-calorie diet this past month. It seems to be working:) Thanks for posting this to What's On the Menu Wednesday. It looks delicious; I can't wait to give it a try. Hope to see you back this week.

    ReplyDelete