Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cheesy Chimichangas


Cheese!  Cheese! Cheese! 

I don't often indulge in cheese. Even though I do so love it.  I usually feel that you need a LOT of cheese in order for it to really taste good.  I don't usually indulge in that many calories, I usually choose to flavor my food in other ways.

However, one does have to have cheese sometimes, right?? 



I tasted this before adding the cheese and after and it was delicious with the cheese.  It still has a lot of flavor and the cheese brings it out even more! 



These were plenty flavorful on their own but I used some of my tomatillo green salsa to put on it.  This made it even better!  Seriously, this was a fantastic meal!  Loved the leftovers the next day too!   






Cheesy Chimichangas
Adapted from Food Snob

1 lb. ground turkey
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
11/2 tbsp. cumin
1 can green chiles, 4 oz.
2 tsp. oregano
1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
1 can tomato sauce, 15 oz. (I only used about 3/4 of it)
1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, 6 oz.
10 - 100 calorie whole wheat tortillas

Cook the ground turkey and the onions together.  When the ground turkey is done, add spices, chiles and tomatoes. Let simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.  Turn off heat and add cheese and stir until melted. 

Put 1/2 cup of turkey mixture onto tortilla and roll and place seam side down in a pan. Spray tops with cooking spray and bake in oven for about 25 minutes at 400 degrees. 

Total calories = 2569 calories
10 servings = 257 calories per chimichanga

2 Cheesy Chimichangas = 514 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

22 comments:

  1. Yum!! This looks really good. I don't know how you could not add cheese to something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, another ground turkey meal! Another way to use my $.99 turkey =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same, I don't eat cheese that often which is why it is such a treat when I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing. I'm sure my husband would LOVE these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any tricks for getting your family to eat whole wheat tortillas? I'm the only one who will!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My one big weekness is cheese!! This sounds just the sort of recipe I would like. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure does look tasty! I think I would definitely want to add the cheese - I love cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will most definitely have to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty sure I have cheese at least twice a day! Looks delicious Debbi!

    And to answer your questions about my chili, I grind the veggies because I don't like a chunky chili - no reason you can't just chop them up and throw them in the pool. :D

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. debbi! those look better than mine!
    Love it. And IM lovin your tweaks!
    YUMMY looking! I have several in the freezer... might need to go get one for dinner tonight! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything with cheese in it and I'm all for it! Thanks for this super easy delish sounding recipe! Hubs loves chimichangas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM! I could sub beans for the turkey, :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Chimichangas! Thanks for the healthy alternative. I think mixed in all that cheese, my hubby may not notice the difference in the meat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cheese did it! It looks great! I've never made chimichangas but love them so will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love cheese, too! I always think of that Dominos commercial "LOOK AT THE CHEESE." Maybe I watch too much TV.

    Anyway, these sound great!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh I wish I had those here for dinner right now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks wonderful. Bad for my hips, but wonderful :-). I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. You SO speak my language! These look excellent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look incredibly delicious! Definitely something my family will be trying!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  20. This recipe was a big hit at my house! I love your blog. I've tried 2 recipes so far and they were delicious. I have 3 more already picked out to try and I'm sure many more to come. I like how you incorporate pictures into the recipe blog. I rarely try a recipe without a picture. I'm weird! :)
    I'm a daily follower and can't wait to see new recipes as you post them.

    ReplyDelete