Thursday, September 23, 2010

Buffalo Chicken Pizza


I admit. I have never made homemade pizza dough. I've made it from a pizza kit or a mix but I've never done it completely from scratch. 

Then Biz from My Bizzy Kitchen showed me the error of my ways. 

She also eats a lot of hot sauce so what better way to break in a new crust by whipping out the Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce!



This was good.  First I smothered the bottom with ranch dressing.  The a layer of hot sauce.  Then some green onions.  (it needed more onion, sorry Biz)



Then I added chicken that had been cooked in the same hot sauce and shredded, a pile of cheese and more onions. (it still needed more onions)




What a pretty pizza! Okay, so who knows what the shape is!  It still tasted good!!  (did I mention that it needed more onions though?)



It was delicious but still needed a tweak more flavor so I smothered it with more hot sauce. This was some rockin' pizza! 

This is linked with:





Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Crust from My Bizzy Kitchen

Crust:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 packet of yeast or 2 1/4 tsp. yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 cup warm water

Mix the warm water and yeast and let sit for a couple of minutes.  Add the flour and salt and mix. Add more flour until it isn't gooey sticky and is easy to spread or roll.  Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and spread your crust on it.  Prebake for about 5 - 7 minutes at 400.  Add toppings.  Cook for about 8 - 10 minutes. I take it off the baking sheet for a few minutes at the end to crisp up the crust. 

Buffalo Chicken Pizza

1/2 cup ranch dressing, light
1/4 cup Franks Buffalo Wing sauce
4 - 5 green onions
1/2 lb. cooked chicken (this is approximate, I can't remember exactly how much I used.)
1/4 cup Franks Buffalo Wing sauce (for cooking chicken)
1 1/2 cups mozzerella cheese

Cook chicken in hot sauce until done.  Shred and set aside.  (use as much hot sauce as you want with this, I think I used about 1/4 cup, not sure)

Make crust.  Cook for about 5 minutes at 400.  Take out of oven and spread with ranch dressing.  Then spread wing sauce over the ranch.  Cut some onions on top.  Then add shredded chicken and cheese.  Then add more onions. You can't have too many onions.  :-)  Cook for about 8 - 10 minutes at 400.  I took it off the tray for about 3 - 4 minutes after.  The cooking time will vary depending on your oven. I don't time things well. 

I made this a couple of weeks ago.  I no longer remember where I wrote down my exact measurements.  I am pretty sure about most everything but the chicken, I don't remember exactly how much I put on the pizza. I made like a pound but used the extra for salads throughout the week. 

I do remember that the whole pizza came to right about 2000 calories so 1/4 pizza, which is pretty big, was 500 calories.  This with some fruit was a nice meal. 



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

39 comments:

  1. Looks amazing and so surprised that is only 500 calories. I love making pizza when I have time to make the crust from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate buffalo chicken pizza at least once a week while in college but haven't made it myself yet. I HAVE made a buffalo chicken calzone that was awesome. Need to try this pizza, though. I'm so proud of you for making your own dough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything with Franks Buffalo Wing sauce is rockin! This looks so good, it isn't fair that I don't have a hot one right here. You make such yummy things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who says pizza has to be round? I applaud you for making your own dough...It really makes a difference. I bet this tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - yum!! Thanks for the great idea! We'll have to try it this week. :)
    Stopping by from NFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often make oblong pizza in my baking tray but I like the sound of this recipe. Will give this a try. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious! Stopping by from New Friend Fridays from The Trendy Treehouse. Now following your blog. Looking forward to connecting with you!

    Carrie A Groff
    http://livingahealthybeachlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog. I look forward to getting lots of good healthy recipes - so far I'm already taking notes!

    Stopped by from New Friend Friday - new follower!

    diane from survivordiane@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dont worry my crust always looks funky and weird shaped too! Its the taste that counts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. FYI: your blog is the only one that makes me drool.

    This looks great and is definately on the must try list.

    JEnnifer

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious. I haven't made this in a while. The time has come :-). Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the rustic look of your crust! My family would love this pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Taste is all that matters and Debbi this looks delicious. Franks is my soft spot, I grew up on the stuff, probably since it originated by where I am from. I think it goes great on everything... just not dessert. I am glad to hear that you finally made homemade pizza dough. I love homemade dough.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gonna have to try this, looks so yummy, and I love anything buffalo flavored...I'm with you, when all else fails and you need more of something...bring on the hot sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so good, you make me hungry again although I had my dinner...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome job! I started making Biz's pizza crust like a year and a half ago and haven't turned back since. I've swapped it to whole wheat dough recently and it turns out just as good! I've never made the buffalo chicken one, though. And mine are always random, odd shapes! hehe I just roll it out, or tug it and pull it to the thinness I want and plop it on a baking sheet w/ some corn meal. Sometimes it's oval, sometimes square, sometimes looks like a heart. Who cares it still tastes good, right?! :)
    Thanks for sharing w/ Friday Firsts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have my sister Biz's pizza crust so many times, yet have EVER been able to roll it out in a circle!! I don't know how pizzaria's do that?! Love the combo and unlike my twin I LOVE onions!! I'm totally going to steal this from you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pizza can be any shape that you desire :-) That pizza does rock with the wing sauce. I think you are showing me the errors of my ways too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cool! This makes me HUNGRY! Thanks for sharing such a gorgeous recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your pizza looks excellent! My kids would flip over it! I will be making it! We usually buy the dough at the pizza place, but one of these days I should try it again myself! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks GOOD...a new take on the Buffalo Wing dip. No chips needed...
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Jane (artfully graced)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Debbie. This looks so good. I keep talking about making pizza at home and this might just be the big ticket recipe to get the job done. I love this recipe and want to thank you for this post and also for joining my Friday Potluck party. I also agree with Velva that pizza can be any size or shape. Looking forward to more recipes from you!!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  23. My husband really loves Frank's hot sauce so I am sure he would love this pizza too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never made my own crust either, Debbi. The bakery dept in my grocery has it in bags. I really like the whole wheat flour in this...and the finished pizza looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds delicious, regardless of the shape! Still tastes great going down :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am definitely going to make this with my Mommas pizza dough recipe! The HOTTER the better! Thank YOU! Visiting from Saving Money.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum that looks good, you can cook for me anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pizza doesn't have to be a shape - it's pizza! It's what it tastes like that counts and this one sounds good!! Pizza is one of my favorite ways to use up leftovers - the combos are endless especially if you think beyond the box (you know the box I mean, the basic chain pizza box)!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great looking pizza! I want the apple chicken salad wrap from Wednesday for lunch next week.

    ReplyDelete
  30. MMM this looks so easy and soo good! Do you think instead of wheat flour I can use soy flour?

    ReplyDelete
  31. We love buffalo! This looks delicious!

    Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This sounds so delicious! I left you a little something special on my blog :)

    http://lambaround.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. That looks so tasty, found you from Lamb!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This looks so delicious. Glad I clicked over from the Chili Cook off at Miz Helen's country cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love pizza. . great combo! pair it with beer mmm YUM

    ReplyDelete