Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sun Dried Tomato, Basil, Feta Cheese Burgers





I have only recently became a fan of feta.  I think I had it once a LONG TIME ago and didn't have a good experience and just decided I didn't like feta.  Plus, it sorta reminds me of dried up cottage cheese and I do not like cottage cheese.  Except for in lasagna.

Then I went to a friends house for a party and fell in love with an unknown garlicky dip.  I ate way too much before asking her what kind of dip it was.  She said it was feta.

"But I don't like feta cheese!"

Clearly something about this dip made me completely rethink the whole feta thing. Not to mention the 10,000 recipes that I see on the Internet with people raving about feta cheese. 

So it was time for me to try it again.




I saw these burgers from Tricia from Once A Month Mom.  I LOVE sun dried tomatoes, I LOVE basil, but feta?  What would they be like with this cheese that I claimed for so long not to like? 

I decided to go for it.  I trust her recipes and millions of other people love feta and that dip!  Oh, that dip was awesome!  So feta it was. 

Oh my oh my!  These little babies were good!  They were so simple to make and just packed with flavor!!  I had to control myself and only eat one.  Luckily there was one left that I enjoyed for lunch the next day.

I made these along with several other recipes on my ground turkey freezer cooking day last week.








Sun Dried Tomato, Basil, Feta Burgers
Adapted from Once A Month Mom

1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
4 oz. feta cheese crumbles
7 oz. jar of sun dried tomatoes, oil packed, drained

In a large bowl, mix everything together.  Divide into 6 burgers.  Cook on pan or grill until done.  Serve on buns, I used 100 calorie Arnold Select sandwich thins. 

Total calories = 1471 calories
6 servings = 245 calories per patty

1 Sun Dried Tomato, Basil, Feta Burger with a sandwich thin + coleslaw = 545 calorie dinner

More burger recipes you might enjoy!

Garlic Ranch Turkey Burgers

Spicy Turkey Burgers

Turkey Black Bean Burgers


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

14 comments:

  1. I love burgers with lots of goodies like this one. I've been crazy for feta for as long as I can remember! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. Looks delicious. :)

    Btw, can my website became your favorite blog? :)
    Here's the address: http://www.kitvy.com

    Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pressed my mouse faster than my brain. Hehehe....
    Sorry can not edit post.
    I want to say:
    Thank you for visiting my website/blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These burgers look DELICIOUS! I love feta. I can't wait to make these. :)

    And thanks for your support! It's much appreciated.

    -Annie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like one tasty burger! I love stuffing turkey burgers...gives them so much more flavor and moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a gorgeous burger. It's so nice to have alternative ways to prepare them. I really like this recipe. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried Feta. Now I think I must!

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic burger! All the flavors I absolutely love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great combo of flavors in the burgers! Looks like the perfect meal paired with the slaw!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go YOU for going outside of your box and trying these feta burgers! You are an inspiration to me with your yummy sounding recipes. I am trying to get back on my healthy eating bandwagon but I'm struggling. Blogs like yours help me along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. gosh i think feta can make anything better! love how you used it-delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look super good. I love all things tomato and the feta just makes me want to lick the screen. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel like you made this especially for me! I absolutely love feta cheese, sundried tomatoes, and anything with ground turkey. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grassfed burgers rule at our house, so I am always glad to have another recipe to mix it up a bit! Thanks for sharing at Monday Mania!

    ReplyDelete