Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese Recipe



I bought my first spaghetti squash!!  It was huge! I used it for 2 meals. First I made a Santa Fe Squash Casserole. Super nummy, I'll post the recipe next week.  Then I used what was leftover for this Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese. 

I got this recipe from Biz from Biggest Diabetic Loser.  This chick knows all about how to make stuff low cal!  Seriously check out her blog if you haven't already.  Hopefully she'll forgive me for adding onions to this! 





My only complaint was that it turned out a bit runny.  I used more cheese than she did but I also had more squash so maybe that did it. I put in more milk, I cut it down in the recipe below so hopefully it won't be so runny next time.  Maybe I could cook it a bit more too, who knows.

It was delicious!  Seriously good. I will so make this again!!

This is linked up with Works For Me Wednesday over at We are THAT Family.  I LOVE mac and cheese but try to stay away from Pasta so this totally WORKS FOR ME!

Also linked up with Real Food Wednesdays from Kelly the Kitchen Kop. Also What's On Your Plate? from Good Cheap Eats. And What's for Dinner? from Hon, What's For Dinner?  And No Whine Wednesday from Food on the Table.  This is also linked with Vegetarian Foodie Fridays at Breastfeeding Mom's Unite!

This is also my submission to Ultimate Recipe Swap over at Life As Mom!  She is featuring fresh produce this week and I bought my squash at the farmers market!!  Also My Meatless Monday over at My Sweet and Savory.  Also Just Another Meatless Monday from Hon, What's for Dinner Mom? 


 


Spaghetti Squash Mac n Cheese
Adapted from The Biggest Diabetic Loser


1/2 spaghetti squash, mine weighed 12 oz. after being cooked
1/4 cup onion
2 jalapeno peppers
1 cup milk, 1%
1 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
5 oz. cheddar cheese
3 tbsp. bread crumbs


Cut squash in half, put in casserole dish with a bit of water and microwave, covered, until done. About 7 - 10 minutes. Cool, scrap squash into a bowl.


Saute onion and jalapeno for about 5 minutes.  Set aside.


Melt butter in pan, add flour and stir for 2 minutes.  Slowly pour milk into flour/butter mixture.  Add cheese and stir until cheese melts.  Add onion jalapeno mixture and stir.  Remove from heat.  Stir in spaghetti squash and put into a casserole dish.  Sprinkle with bread crumbs.  Bake at 375 for 20 - 25 minutes until browned on top and nice and bubbly. 

Total calories = 985 calories
4 servings = 246 calories per serving




7 BBQ Cola Meatballs + Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese = 582 calorie dinner

Check out the recipe of the BBQ Cola Meatballs at Our Krazy Kitchen!  They have a ton of awesome recipes and I'll be posting there about once a week!! 

More recipes you might enjoy.

Summer Squash Casserole

Cheesy Butternut Squash Baked Ziti

Butternut Squash and Apple Bake


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

20 comments:

  1. I made Biz's recipe too- but I used more squash & less milk. It came out firmer. I loved it and could not stop eating it. lol YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My garden is just full of squash, butternut and pumpkin, you have some amazing recipes, I will be back. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be trying this as we really enjoy spaghetti squash! This sounds really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to cook Spaghetti squash all the time...hubby doesn't enjoy it, but I really like it. I haven't made it in years...your post made me want some again. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love spaghetti squash, but we don't use it as a pasta replacement. We usually eat it plain. I think my hubs would really like it this way though! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowser, these look like some great recipes. Glad to find your blog. It is a little too hot right now to fire up the oven but maybe later. I love recipes that are low in fat and calories. So these really look good. Thanks for visiting our blog. Eight kitties. WE need to meet them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will look away at the addition of onions, but glad you liked it.

    Sometimes like zucchini, squash can be a bit runny - maybe squeeze it in paper towels to remove the extra moisture??

    Have a great day Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I'm iffy about squash but I never tried spaghetti squash with anything other than just salt and pepper so I'd like to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I came across your blog yesterday and LOVE it! You have some amazing recipes that I can't wait to make and this is one of them. Can't wait for the Sante Fe recipe for next week either! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting. I found you from "real food Wednesday" and using 1% milk is not real food friendly. We believe in full fat, not low-fat, low-cal! Just FYI. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea. I am a huge spag squash fan and I make it all the time, though I've never thought of this. Brilliant!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your recipes look delicious, especially this one. I love spaghetti squash, and I definitely want to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds fantastic, we don't eat a lot of pasta either. I like the idea of jalapenos in there. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a big Biz fan too. Gotta try this! I haven't found a recipe that makes spaghetti squash edible for me yet. I'm determined to like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yum! We just got two huge spaghetti squashes in our CSA share, so I'm psyched to have this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This dish would please everyone! My mother loves spaghetti squash, I'll send this along to her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. there seems to be an abundance of spaghetti squash in the blog world... i might have to swallow my pride and buy one to give it another try...my first experience with squash was ugly LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - I'm up for trying this for sure. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks delicious. It is amazing what you can do with vegetables, with a bit of ingenuity. I am so glad you shared this with our link to My Meatless Mondays.

    I saw your new badge and it is already on my two blogs. I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. squash is naturally kind of runny so it may not be you but rather the nature of the beast?
    Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday, see you next week!

    ReplyDelete