Monday, August 16, 2010

Southwest Turkey Burgers




Have I mentioned my love for chips?? 

They are my favorite in the whole wide world, I'm not picky, pretty much any kind will do.

So I when I saw that these burgers had the chips on the inside, I was tickled pink and just loved the idea.  Did I really just say "tickled pink"?  What does that mean?

So the recipe called for tortilla chips crushed and put in the burgers.  What could possibly be better than that?!







Because of my love of chips and my ability to consume more chips in one meal than you can imagine, I am forced NOT, repeat NOT to bring big bag of chips into the house.  They just aren't allowed. 

So when we go on vacation, I will often buy one of those Costco sized variety packs of individual chips.  I CAN be trusted with those.  Usually.  

My kids however, do not eat the Fritos in these variety packs so I am often left with several bags of Fritos in my cupboard.  I happen to love Fritos but can't rationalize the 320 calories of delicious salt filled chips in a normal day. So there they sit.  

Until this recipe came around!

What better use for a bag of Fritos than to crush it up in little bits and throw it into hamburgers!  Boy was THAT fun! 



These seriously tasted awesome. With the Fritos, the cheese, the onion, oh my!!  I'm drooling at just the thought!  These were on the higher side of the calorie range for a burger so I did have only one. I had another without a bun the next day for lunch.  Delicious!! 

I made these for my freezer cooking day with ground turkey the other day.








Southwest Burgers
Adapted from Purple Chocolat Home

1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
1/3 cup salsa
1 bag Fritos, 2 oz. crushed
3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/3 cup green onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic
1/2 tsp. salt

Topping:
6 tbsp. sour cream
6 tbsp. salsa

6 - 100 calorie Arnold Selects sandwich thins

Mix everything together and then form into 6 burger patties.  Cook until done. Serve with sour cream/salsa topping.  

Total calories = 2543 calories with sandwich thin and topping
6 servings = 424 calories per burger

1 Southwest Burger + watermelon =   524 calorie dinner

More burger recipes you may enjoy!

Turkey Taco Burgers

Green Chile Pepper & Cream Cheese Burgers

Grilled Cheese Onion Burgers

Pizza Burgers


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

29 comments:

  1. YUM! I would have never thought to add chips to the burger mix! Sounds delicious! :) THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the chips didn't get soggy or anything? :O
    They look great! I love Fritos (don't tell anyone though ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, these look amazing. Sounds like something I would eat after one of my runs, so I dont feel guilty. They are turkey after all. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not normally a fan of ground turkey, but I think the crushed up corn chips and salsa might give it enough flavor that I might just like it. I know this is not near as healthy, buy I want to try it with ground beef.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mouth is watering!! Your turkey burgers look delicious. :) Visiting from Jen's Tasty Tuesday party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fritos in a burger?!?! What's not to love! I really like sandwich thins, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wait...320 calories for that little handful of fritos...oh no! what a great idea for the burgers...salty and crunchy...yummmmmm!!!
    thanks for linking up to TNSC...i love your recipes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love chips too and I love throwing chips into my burgers. Fun recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL Debbi on the real food comment. You could use organic white corn chips or make your own, its not that difficult if you really wanted it to be real food :) Thanks for posting on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbi...I've always added chips to my sammies, burgers, hotdogs, sloppy joes, etc!! I add them as an extra layer on top and just smoosh 'em down with the top bun/bread, LOL!!! So, of course I love the sound of these...plus the SW flavors- YUM! Thanks for sharing with Two for Tuesdays this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tickled pink... well, I suppose it means something tickles you until your face flushes?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand about the chips - around here an open bag is an empty bag! This looks so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me at Fritos! What a great idea for some extra flavor to otherwise plain ground turkey - yum! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are Fritos REAL food or not. I suppose this is debatable but in my book they definitely are. I could quite easily live off the stuff. Thanks for a nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohh yum! You always have such creative ideas. I love the sound of this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy smokes! These look absolutely scrumptious! Saving... :D

    Have a great day!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is ONE helluva keeper! sounds incredible!!!

    i might just randomly stick doritos in my ground beef now! you so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chips? In the burger? What a great idea! I'll have to try this someday soon! Minus the cheese for me though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I add chips to my burgers also - and when I buy these variety packs the fritos are always left too - what's up with that? Fritos are yummy! I love that you found a way not to waste them! thanks for linking this to Two for Tues.!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my...it's like a Frito chili pie in burger format! Sounds excellent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great way to use up the end of a bag of chips! Thanks for linking up with T4T.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great looking burgers and who would have thought of adding chips. Clever!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whoa I love the idea of adding chips INTO the burger. What a great texture!

    ReplyDelete
  24. They sound amazing. I have to follow the amount if fat in my food, any chance at getting the fat count on recipes

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my goodness graciou! Chips in the burger? My diet hates you, but me? I love you! These sound so good! I'm so glad I paid a visit to Fudge Ripple today and decided to take part in her Tuesday Supper Club! Yum! Consider me your newest follower! Best, Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  26. I printed your recipe, and actually read it through. Turns out that both I and my diet love you! I think I might have died and gone to heaven ~ it's a healthy recipe? Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I almost didn't read this post since I have too many but I had to when you mentioned there were chips in the mix! I love Fritos so much but wouldn't you know they're like the highest calorie chips?! BTW, I think tickled pink comes from when someone's tickling you and you're laughing so hard you turn pink. Usually we don't like being tickled to that point but it does mean something that pleases you. I like the phrase. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, I am impressed, congratulations great work here too.
    These burgers really look amazing ♥

    ReplyDelete