Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Saucy Veggie Meatloaf



I don't always need a bun when eating a hamburger.  I do only because, it's just how you eat a burger.  People tend to look at me weird if I eat a burger without a bun. I get comments like "Oh, low carbing it today, huh".  Well, for the most part, I just prefer burgers that way. 

I think that's why I like meatloaf so much. It's similar to burgers but doesn't require a bun nor does anyone look at you funny for eating it. 



I got this recipe from Robyn from Penny Pinching Provisions. She says she likes to puree the vegetables and hide them in there. Well, no need to puree here so I just sauteed a whole bunch of veggies and stuck them in there. Everybody loved it!



I do think that we are more of a BBQ fan so we like the Barbecue sauce type of topping better but if you're a ketchup fan, this is good.  I think I would put a bit more spice in it next time too, just to take it up a notch!  It was good though!



I've made meatloaf with oatmeal before and it really is the best.  It makes the meatloaf hold together better and it's healthier!!

This was part of my ground turkey freezer cooking day. This recipe makes 2 meatloafs.  You can put these into regular loaf pans or 8 x 8's.  I actually like the 8 x 8 size better, it tends to cook better. 

This is linked up with Tasty Traditions over at Coupon Cookin'.  Also over at Cooking Thursday over at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.  Also the carnival over at Make It From Scratch. And Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries.  Because I LOVE meatloaf!  









Saucy Veggie Meatloaf
Adapted from Penny Pinching Provisions

3 lbs. ground turkey
1/4 cup ketchup + 2 tbsp.
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. pepper
1 cup onion
1 cup zucchini
1 cup red pepper
1/2 cup carrot
2 1/2 cup oats
1 1/4 cup milk, 1%

Topping for one meatloaf (double if cooking both loaves at once)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. spicy brown mustard or mustard


Chop all veggies very finely. Saute for about 7 - 8 minutes. Cool slightly.  Mix ground turkey, ketchup, spices, egg, oats and milk together. Add veggie mixure and mix until evenly distributed.  Separate into 2 loaf pans or 2 - 8 x 8 pans.  Bake one at 350 for about 1 hour.  Add topping, bake for another 15 minutes.  If you are freezing one of them, cover with aluminum foil, label and put in freezer. I like to put the directions on a note card and put the topping ingredients to make after it's pulled out of the freezer.  6 servings per meatloaf. 

Total calories for both meatloafs = 3598 calories
12 servings = 300 calories per serving.

Saucy Veggie Meatloaf + small baked potato with sour cream + green beans = 500 calorie dinner

More meatloaf recipes you might enjoy!

Barbecue Meatloaf

Quinoa Meatloaf Muffins

Spinach and Lentil Meatloaf


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

21 comments:

  1. I will definitely be trying this one. I usually sneak veges in the meat loaf. I have put zucchini in as well as carrots and green peppers before. I also eat my hamburgers without a bun. You have to when you are trying to watch your weight! I would rather have a hamburger without the bun than not have one at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delish. I also use ground turkey for my meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. So many veggies!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice n healthy meatloaf with ground turkey..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you tried the meatloaf! It's definitely a staple around here. I wish I could get away with just chopping up veggies to put in...the hubs would refuse to eat it if I did it that way.
    What a good idea to make two and freeze one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I want to try this! Great way to hide all those veggies to make it a little healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks delish! Will add it to my recipe box.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great.... I love putting veggies in turkey meatloaf, it keeps it so moist!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm sounds yummy I also make a Southwest Turkey meatloaf that is to die for! We only do ground turnkey in the household too! So much better for you! Thanks for posting this, will try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the fresh veggies in here. great color. I will admit that I am not a fan of ketchup on or in my meatloaf... only when its on my fries so if i make this i will omit the red stuff. but im just weird that way. LOL
    It looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I love meatloaf...and even better with sauce...look so colorful and very inviting...yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the sound of this also your spinach and lentil meatloaf. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love meatloaf! I've never tried using oats, but I think I will. Ben loves the meatballs I make with oats--I bet if I did a bbq style sauce with oats to hold it together he'd lovei t!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not a fan of meatloaf, but my husband is - except no vegetables allowed! I tried to sneak them in once - didn't go over so well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this with all the veggies! We have the same taste - I like my meatloaf pretty spicy too and with barbecue.

    ReplyDelete
  16. we love meatloaf as well. We use oatmeal but prefer catsup over barbq sause. The one thing that I really liked about your meatloaf is the amount of veggies you used thanks for sharing your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great mix of veggies you used in this! I also love the oats in here. It's pretty much a complete meal in this healthy loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All those veggies look yummy! I've never tried adding very much to my meatloaf... I'm sure it adds a ton of nutrition! =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just found your blog. I have been trying to lose weight and cook healthier. I look forward to trying some of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very delicious!! I love all the veggies in it!!

    ReplyDelete