Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Santa Fe Spaghetti Squash Casserole


 


I had never cooked with spaghetti squash.  I've seen a ton of awesome recipes for it which inspired me to buy one. 

It sat on my counter for a week. I still wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it.  It was huge, I knew it would serve for 2 meals.

Then I found this tasty little vegetarian dish that seemed right up my alley. Black beans? Green chiles? Corn? How many things have I made with these ingredients!

Well, never before with squash!! I totally wondered what the consistency would be like.




I LOVED scraping out of the shell when it was cooked!  It was so cute!  It DID look like spaghetti!

But how would it taste?

It no longer resembled spaghetti once it was in the casserole.  But it did taste delicious.  It was moist and it held everything else together nicely.  

The only thing I would possibly do different would be to spice it up a bit more.  It was very good but I thought it could use a pinch of cayenne or some red pepper flakes or something.  

I ended up using the leftovers for Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese which was wonderful!!  Yes, I know I posted that weeks ago but this recipe just got pushed back time and time again. Sorry, it happens! 






Santa Fe Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Adapted from Vegan Kitchen

1 spaghetti squash, about 2 lbs.
Cooking spray
1 cup onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can chopped green chiles, 4 oz.
3/4 cup fresh or frozen corn
1 packed cup chopped fresh spinach
1 tbsp. chili powder

1/4 cup cilantro
2 tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. salt

Crust:
1/2 cup corn meal (I used about 2 tbsp. more than this as it was the end of the container)
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. hot water
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. honey

Cut the spaghetti squash in half and place it in a microwave safe casserole dish, cut sides up.  Add a splash of water and cover. Microwave until the squash is tender, 10 - 12 minutes.  Let the squash cool a bit, then scrape the squash into a bowl. 

Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and saute the onion, garlic and pepper until tender.  Add the black beans, chilies, corn, spinach and chili powder, stir and allow to heat through.  Remove from heat and add the squash, lime juice and salt.  Stir to combine.  Pour the mixture into an 8 x 8 casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray. 

In a small bowl, mix together the crust ingredients.  Spread batter smoothly over the top of the mixture and sprinkle with a bit of chili powder if you want.  Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, until the crust is firm and beginning to brown around the edges.  My topping was a bit wet so it took awhile to get it done and the moisture from the mixture kept it moist too but it turned out fine. 

Total calories = 1131 calories
4 servings = 283 calories per serving

More recipes you might enjoy!

Italian Stuffed Zucchini Boats

Chilaquiles Casserole

Pineapple Black Bean Enchiladas

Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

28 comments:

  1. This looks really good. So many times I try to get a small squash and just prepare it simple with some butter or olive oil and fresh herbs! I can't wait to see the next recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my ideal comfort food!
    I don't think I ever prepared spaghetti squash before. I really enjoy the addition of the black beans here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to trying this soon! Every year when the winter squash are plentiful at our farmer's market I say I'm going to cook some spaghetti squash, but I always end up buying loads of butternut and acorn - this year I'm definetly going to get to spaghetti squash too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbi, this is another great looking dish! I made and then posted your Taco Corn Bread Casserole today. It is delicious and thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea - I usually just toss it with some marinara, but this would be so much more flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is the best thing I've ever seen done with spaghetti squash!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great way to use spaghetti squash. This is a yummy vegan dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love spaghetti squash! It is fun scraping it out and seeing it turn into spaghetti. This looks crazy good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never even tried spaghetti squash until a couple years ago - now I love it! And since no one else in my family will even look at it, let alone try it, I usually spice up my dishes pretty good!

    Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea, I've always just put tomato sauce over spag squash! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great idea! my husband is gonna LOVE this! i'm going to throw it in the crockpot. it's like a tamale casserole, only healthier. just need to sprinkle a bit of cheese. we try to use spag. squash with my beef spag sauce once in awhile although i have to admit, i miss real noodles too much and never really enjoy it. but putting it with a food that i'm not expecting to be noodley may help resolve that issue and i can eat it more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm SO excited to see this! I'm sure you can't imagine why! lol. I hit my 15 pound loss today! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love squash and finding new recipes for it.. since I usually just sauté it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a great vegetarian dinner! I ama big fan of spaghetti squash... sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always wanted to try spaghetti squash. I think I will give it a try with this recipe. Thanks for sharing, this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love spaghetti squash but always forget to use it in recipes like this! It's such a great way to lighten up heavy dishes. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! A great twist on squash casserole. I'll have to try it and see what the fam thinks about it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the idea of the crust on this - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks amazing! We love spaghetti squash, but we usually just eat it plain as a side dish! I need to add one to my shopping list and make this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum, this looks delicious! I've cooked with spaghetti squash a few times, but it's always Italian flavors. I like the idea of making it into a southwest dish! Thanks for sharing with Friday Firsts!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes yes yes! THIS is what I will do with my spaghetti squash this week. THANK YOU! Now I am set!

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a fabulous idea! i always just serve it by itself with a bit of olive oil and parmesan cheese....but this looks like such a great way to turn a side dish into a meal. i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Debbie, this is a great recipe! I usually eat spaghetti squash like real spaghetti with sauce and everything. It is really good and delicious. Angie

    ReplyDelete
  24. SUch a yummy dish. Thanks for linking this to My Meatless Mondays.. You add your good taste in food to our humble blog.

    Doesn't that sound patronizing? Sorry. I meant it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've only served spaghetti squash in place of pasta. What an interesting dish! Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. ok, i just made this but without the spinach and using red enchilada sauce instead of chopped green chili. omg! soooooooo good! the 1/2c. corn meal topping wasn't quite enough to cover in the dish i put it in so i'd make more next time because i need the bready part to calm the spiciness of the sauce. definately will be making this again and again! we think it'd be great with crushed tortilla chips mixed in. thanks for the great idea. the house smells amazing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love spaghetti squash! This looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have used spaghetti squash in a cheesy casserole before and it worked great. I like the Santa Fe idea.

    ReplyDelete