Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Pizza Roll Up Burritos




So have you every had those frozen pizza rolls?  I've bought them. We eat them occasionally.  They are extremely greasy, fatty and like a million calories for 4 of them.  Not filling at all either.

These remind me of those but are like 10,000 times better!  I love how they get crispy in the oven, with out all the fat. They are also super easy to handle without all the mess.




These were also very filling!  I was completely satisfied with 1 of these bad boys and a side of watermelon.  

I thought about making these more like enchiladas and pour a bit of pizza sauce over and a bit of cheese but decided these were much neater. It certainly would have made a pretty presentation that way though!  

This is my submission to this weeks BSI Blogger Secret Ingredient
  

This is linked with:
Works For Me Wednesday over at We Are THAT Family.  No Whine Wednesday at Food On The Table 
Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop 
What's on the Menu? at Dining with Debbie. 




Pizza Roll Up Burritos
Adapted from Penny-Pinching Provisions

2 lbs. ground turkey, 93%
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 oz. pepperoni (about 50 slices), cut in half
1 (15 oz) can pizza sauce
1 tsp. dried oregano
10 slices mozzerella string cheese
10 - 100 calorie whole wheat tortillas

Cook turkey in pan until it's almost done.  Toss in onion and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes or until ground turkey is no longer pink.  Add pepperoni slices, oregano and pizza sauce and simmer for a couple of minutes to warm.  Add about 1/2 cup pizza mix on tortilla.  Place 1 piece of string cheese along the middle on top and roll. Place seam side down in 9 x 13 pan.  I was able to put 9 in the pan, we just stuck the 10th one on a tortilla the next day for lunch.  Bake in oven at 350 for about 15 - 20 minutes until cheese is melted. 

Total calories = 3743 calories
10 servings = 374 calories per burrito

1 Pizza Roll Up Burrito + 2 cups watermelon = 474 calorie dinner

Here's some more meals you might enjoy!

Turkey Broccoli Slaw Teriyaki Wraps
Pineapple Black Bean Enchiladas
Pepper Jack Turkey Quesadillas with Cranberry Salsa

Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

39 comments:

  1. OOhh my grandkiddies will absolutely love these! Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son would love these!!! He loves anything with pepperoni and called pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brillant!! These look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked these! They are a staple here at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! These look super easy and really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great! Love the idea of using a string cheese stick in the middle. Going to try this tonight and add all the misc veggies I've got sitting in the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't even do those frozen ones because of the calories, fat grams and sodium. These look really yummy. I'd rather save my fat for a delish dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! Thanks for linking up today. I really like that you include the calorie count.

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://comfycook.wordpress.com/2010/08/01/giveaway-girards-premium-salad-dressings/

    Guess who won? Send me your address and Congratulations. I am very happy you are one of the winners. Enjoy these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should have sent that last comment through Comfy Cook.

    Love this recipe. It is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great! Sounds like you were a good girl with just one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am drooling again...geeez!!! This is a must for trying.

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy cow, I can't wait to make these!

    Thanks for the recipe/inspiration!! There are so many varieties you could make of this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just bookmarked this recipe. I am def. going to try it. Thanks for the idea of using turkey. Why don;t I ever think of that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the string cheese middle :) Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbi, those turned out really good! I kinda like how naked and clean they look without the sauce too :D

    I have a BSI recipe - hope to get to it tomorrow night, but Saturday at the latest - its a take on a Turkish dish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. such a smart idea and i am sure yours are much more satisfying to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like this idea and would like to try it with less meat and more veggies, like green peppers and mushrooms. I'm looking forward to cooking again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG I am so making these! They look delish! And I love those little zillion calorie pizza rolls and miss them dearly!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are such a great idea, I never thought to turn pizza into a burrito! They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These sound so good - and I bet they freeze well too for easy dinner another night!

    ReplyDelete
  23. mmmmm, those look yummy! Perfect for a Friday night

    ReplyDelete
  24. Debbi, anything pizza works in my house!

    Would love it if you would consider sharing this blog or another post at Monday Mania. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Debbi-wanted to let you know that I am trying these pizza burritos tonight!!! wish me luck!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a dumb question...but if I doubled the recipe, I would bake them all and THEN freeze the extras, correct??

    They look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like the idea of using flour tortillas and making burritos for at home lunches. I make pizza rolls for the kids for school lunches. I use egg roll wrappers, a few more veggies and less cheese. I wrap, bake and freeze several dozen at a time. To keep them warm for school lunch, I warm them, wrap them in foil and put them in their thermos. No complaints on them being cold. Keep on keepin' on~~

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Debbie - I know these are from a few weeks ago but we made them for The Kids Cook Monday this week. They were great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just found your blog. I started WW last week and made my first weekly menu plan this week. We made these Monday and I love them! Thanks for all the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a neat idea. Would love for you to link this one or any of your other MOST POPULAR posts in our Star Recipes Collection (recently started but growing daily)! I really want to try the apple baked oatmeal... my son and I love oatmeal and that sounds like an awesome different way to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats for being recipe of the week! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. nice recipes and blog, will visit again for more info, btw u may enjoy info on parenting at:http://perspectiveofdeepti.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  33. What size tortilla shells are used in this recipe - lg or small?

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is awesome, Looks healthy crust and the Pizza Roll simply too good.. I love Pizza Roll. I and want to taste it.

    ReplyDelete