Thursday, August 12, 2010

Peach & Pecan Slaw




So I bought some peaches but wasn't sure what to do with them.  I would have LOVED to make a gorgeous, delicious peach dessert. I've been seeing tons of them lately.  I saw a blueberry peach cobbler recently that just completely made my mouth water!  I don't even remember who made it, sorry!

Back to reality though, I can't be making delicious desserts like that, we're trying to focus on healthy and low calorie, right? 

I also had 1/2 huge bag of coleslaw mix.  So we went with Peach Slaw.  This was super tasty.  I LOVED the dressing!  This was a super delicious salad!



I did make some changes from the recipe.  I cut the amount of peppers.  I think that the one red pepper was perfect. 

I also cut the oil. A lot. I think it called for 1/2 cup? I had planned to put in 1/4 cup but only ended up using 2 tbsp.  Seriously, it didn't need that much.  I thought the pureed peaches made for a super tasty dressing. 

I also cut back on the celery seed. I was scared to put in 2 tbsp.  I didn't want it to over power the salad.  The celery taste was good but I would much rather just have regular celery than celery seed so next time, I'll skip the celery seed and just chop up a stalk of celery.

One more thing I have a problem with. The pecans.  Pecans are delicious. They rock.  They are awesome in this salad. However, they also take up almost 1/2 the calories.  If you are looking to add some protein in your diet, then by all means, add the pecans.  But if you want an awesomely, delicious peachy salad that is low calorie, I suggest skipping the pecans.  I will most likely leave them out next time.  






This is linked with:
 Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Vegetarian Foodie Fridays at Breastfeeding Mom's Unite
 Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Fabulous Friday at Saving Money and Living Life
Wholesome Whole Foods at Healthy Food Lover
Family Food Fridays at Get Healthy Cheap.
 My Meatless Mondays at My Sweet and Savory
Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey What's For Dinner Mom? 
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Cabbage at Life as Mom

Also linked with Eat At Homes Ingredient Spotlight: Nuts

Peach and Pecan Slaw
Adapted from Dee Dee's Delights


1 cup pecan pieces
10 oz. coleslaw mix
5 fresh peaches, pitted and sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 tbsp. celery seed


Dressing:
1 cup fresh peaches, pitted and chopped
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup lemon juice
Salt and pepper


Toast the pecans in a pan over medium heat until toasted, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly not to burn.


In a large bowl, mix the pecans, cabbage, peaches, pepper, onions and celery seed. Cover and chill for 45 minutes in the refrigerator. 


In a blender or food processor, blend the 1/2 cup chopped peaches until smooth.  Transfer to a bowl, mix with oil, honey, lemon juice, salt and pepper.  Chill until slaw is ready to be served, then toss with slaw to coat. 


Total calories = 1574 calories
10 servings = 157 calories per serving


Korean Bulgogi Steak + Grilled Corn with Chipotle Lime Butter + Peach & Pecan Slaw = 521 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

30 comments:

  1. What a fun summer recipe! I love the idea of peaches in slaw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to use peaches AND coleslaw!!! I totally agree with you about the peaches! I LOVE peach pie but I can't make it all the time so this is a great alternative for peaches. THank you for sharing!

    -CK

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious! Not sure I'd have the strength of will to leave out the pecans, although I agree, it would taste lovely with or without them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Visiting via New Friend Friday, I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbi! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Your food looks AMAZING! I need some low calorie recipes (I'm trying to lose baby weight). I am going to add myself as a follower RIGHT NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...there is no place for me to add myself as a follower. Let me know if you ever add it to your side bar! Your blog is FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! I like coleslaw, but not the heavy mayo kind. This sounds like the perfect light and summery solution!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds delicious! I love coleslaw and this sounds great with the pecans. Don't think I've ever had that combo and must give it a try! Thanks for the recipe, Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really good! I agree with the celery salt thing, 2 Tbsp sounded like a lot.

    Thanks for linking up today with such a yummy recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gross, 1/2 a cup of oil?? Glad you reduced that one, who needs that much oil in a slaw. I love your idea of using the peaches, that sounds great!

    Have a great weekend Debi!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how interesting! Sounds delicious and perfect for a light summer side.

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhatsfordinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oil is one of the first things I cut on some recipes too!

    Looks delicious!!

    Happy Friday Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love the big pic of it in the big bowl. almost makes me want to taste a big spoonful! MMMM

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the sound of this! And since I have about 15 peaches in my kitchen this is going on the menu for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Any idea something I could sub in for the pecans? My boyfriend is allergic and while I don't want to kill him, I don't want to lose the crunch factor. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks Yummy. Can't wait to try it especially since I have my own peach tree. Hope you have a great week end.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a great way to use your peaches! I've been all by myself so I have been very lazy about making anything complicated. I've been eating my peaches with my oatmeal or just slice & eat! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds yummy and I definitely want that corn too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so glad I found this! I've been working on a mayo free coleslaw, and fruit simply hadn't occurred to me. Thanks for a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh boy that looks so so so good! Thanks for the great coleslaw idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a terrific idea for a slaw. I would never thought of adding fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The idea of peaches is a fantastic idea. I am a big peach fan. You do come up with such creative ideas, all to better the recipe.

    Thanks for linking this to My Meatless Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never seen slaw quite like this! Looks very interesting!

    Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  24. We just made the dressing for supper and ate it on some lettuce - it was delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic Recipe and great picture presentation;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a unique cole slaw. You easily, could keep me fed, for years. I love the combinations, you share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very creative pairing of ingredients. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds really unique and delicious! You're right, that's a lot of pecans!

    ReplyDelete