Monday, August 23, 2010

Look! I'm On TV!


Okay, so yesterday I posted about my big ground turkey freezer cooking day.  Tricia from Once a Month Mom has a reporter friend in the Twin Cities who was looking to do a local segment on Money Saving Tips. She contacted me about doing a bit on freezer cooking! 


What?!  Me!?  ON TV!  Are you kidding!?  I was scared to death.  I am also NOT a good speaker.  I freeze and it just doesn't work very well. 


Nevertheless, I agreed.  After all, it isn't like it's national TV, it's just a local station! 


So Shannon came out and filmed me cooking my ground turkey freezer day and did a quick interview.

Now, I asked her previously, how she would be doing it so I could be prepared.  She told me that she would interview me for about 15 minutes and then film me cooking and mixing things together.  She asked that I have a lot of it prepped sorta like a cooking show.  Then she gave me some typical questions she might ask.  I'm thinking, okay, no problem.


Here's the problem.  When she got here she said she was going to interview me WHILE I was cooking.


WHAT??!!!


I had like 7 or so recipes going on all at once!  How was I supposed to put all that together while trying to put an intelligent sentence together about freezer cooking! Remember I mentioned that I am NOT a natural speaker! Well, believe me, this was confirmed.

So here I am making meatloaf, Shannon's asking me a simple question like

"What IS freezer cooking"

And I'm like "Uhhhh, you know, like putting stuff in your freezer, uh, how much ketchup goes in here?"

I totally couldn't put together a sentence while trying to figure out what ingredients to put in what bowl.


Now, I did have a lot prepped.  BOY, am I glad I had a lot prepped but I was still looking at recipes and measuring stuff while she was talking to me.  It got to the point that I just needed to start chucking things into bowls and just make it up as I went along and try to completely FAKE my way through it.  I had MOST everything premeasured and ready to go but again, without consulting the recipe, things didn't go perfect!


I was putting together my sicilian meatloaf recipe from Once a Month Mom and it was a layered meatloaf and I was making 2 of them.  I mixed the turkey ingredients together, put one layer down, then ham, then cheese and then the other layer on. All while answering questions!  I ended up not saving enough for the top layer and I forgot to add the tomato sauce!!  But I had to keep going!!  So I covered it and put it away like it was done but as soon as they left, I took them back out and re made them. Luckily the middle layer of ham and cheese came off good so I just put the meat back in the bowl, added the tomato sauce and did them again.  Whew!  Recipe saved. 

When you see the video, you'll see all these wrapped pans and a white measuring cup with tomato juice in it in the background! 


All in all, it was a lot of fun and the best part of course was that my freezer was stocked full of ground turkey meals!! I haven't made them all yet but the ones that I have are quite good! 

Here is the link for the TV clip. Yes, my butt is beyond huge and I have stopped eating for an entire month.

http://twelve.tv/news/newsitem.aspx?newsid=1229&newsitemid=13478



I love freezer cooking but I usually only do it with meat.  I also love to buy a bunch of chicken when it is on sale and portion it out. I also will make a whole turkey and put the leftovers shredded into baggies, weighed and measured for salads or casseroles. 

Check out my Freezer Cooking Day post to see all the awesome recipes that I made.  I still have a few to post on the blog yet!

This is linked with Dinner at Christina's Friday Firsts!  It is my first time on TV!

34 comments:

  1. You make it all sound so funny! I am sure that is how I would act on The Next Food Network Star. People tell me all the time I should try that and there is NO WAY! I wouldn't be able to think straight. Good for you, that is soooo impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie you did a great job, nobody would know there was any problems if you don't tell them. I am sure I would just become speechless and cease up solid. Videos don't ususally work with my connection but that one actaully did. Im impressed. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww you're so cute! I agree with the above comments, you looked like you had everything under control in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so exciting! I think you did a fantastic job! I think I have to start freezer cooking! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rocked it! There is NO WAY that I could have done that. You seem so calm and sure of yourself. Congrats on your TV gig! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your recap was hilarious! Even though you were flustered, it's such an honor to be picked to do that! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You looked really confident- Congratulations and well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will definitly check out the video when I get home, I can't wait. I always get such good ideas from you debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the video........you were excellent! Good job:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! I still can't imagine buying 20lbs of turkey and preparing it all in one day. You're a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are so awesome! You dont give yourself enough credit. I would totally make a jackass out of myself!

    love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did awesome! You should consider doing cooking video's! I Love your recipes and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is wonderful, you did great!! Congrats on being a celebrity!! :) Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woot - great job Debbi! I think you did really good - I would have stepped all over my words :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha..You're too sweet! Love your post :-)
    Congratulations to you!
    Thanks for visiting my space and for your kind words Debbi.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a terrific post, i enjoyed it immensely! I am not the only one who cant talk and cook at the same time-YAY!!
    jbdownie5@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbie, you did great! That must have been exciting! That is an awesome idea to make so many meals ahead of time. Maybe someday I'll get that organized!! LOL! =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Debbi, that is just too cool! If you messed up at all, then they did a great job of just including the parts where you were a total pro. You seemed very confident and relaxed. I loved the segment--great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great clip - congrats! You really did a great job =D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yaaay Debbi! You are famous! I think you did great and you didnt seem nervous at all!!! Great job! I bet your number of followers went up!!

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful opportunity to step out of your comfort zone! You should be proud of yourself. I have been interested in freezer cooking and I am going to read your posts and watch your video.

    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. TV is TV whether local or national, there is still someone with a huge camera in your face. I wish I had the computer fully set up so I could hear the interview. I am sure all the stars on TV fake their recipe sometimes. :o) It looked good

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cool!! My friend is famous!! You are awesome and did an incredible job and looked beautiful doing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW!!! You did an awesome job teaching everyone just how to save a bit and cook healthy. Oh am I so proud to have you here in my state. I can say I know her. It's so cool.
    Thank you for sharing such awesome ideas and recipes.
    Take care and God Bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic.. You looked fine... :) I wish id get my meals all done like that.. You rock...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Debbie, this is just fantastic! I wish you all the best!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  27. You were great! And it sure looked like you knew what you were doing! And you didn't seem nervous at all - I would of been shaking in my shoes. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You don't come across as unprepared! Congrats on your TV debut!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Debbi, I just watched the video... how cool!! You sounded great and didn't look frazzled at all.... congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ahhh!!! This is so so awesome! You did fantastic! I was interviewed this past Christmas by a reporter from the Chicago Tribune w/ a voice recorder and I ended up turning beet red and telling him sorry I couldn't finish b/c I was so nervous! You look totally natural and calm!

    Wow, that was so cool - I feel like I know somebody famous now. hehe Thanks for sharing w/ Friday Firsts and awesome tips. I didn't know about once a month mom, but will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How exciting! I think you did great!

    ReplyDelete