Thursday, August 5, 2010

Lemon Chicken






I can't believe it took me so long to post this!  I've been making ever since Stephanie posted it!

I made a double batch today.  It works well for us to have the leftovers for lunch.  Plus, I like to buy the 3 lbs. bag of frozen chicken tenders to just dump it. And you can just use the whole can of lemonade rather than half.

I make it different than she does. Her way is fine. Mine is easier. For me. Either way, it is phenomenally delicious!!  It's one of our favorites. 



She browns her chicken first. I dump frozen chicken tenders in the slow cooker.  I also like to let the tenders sit in there cooking without the sauce for an hour or so. That way you can remove the liquid and chicken snot before you dump the delicious sauce all over it.  That's what I do. It seems to work well and the sauce is the perfect consistency.

Hubs eats his with brown rice and there is plenty of sauce to go over the rice. I drizzle more sauce over my broccoli.  So good people, so good.  









Lemon Chicken
Adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking

3 lbs. chicken breast tenders (mine were frozen)
2 tsp. salt
1 (12 oz) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1/2 cup splenda (or brown sugar)
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. ketchup
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. cornstarch

Put chicken in slow cooker.  I often put my chicken in frozen and cook for an hour or so until some of the liquid has come out, then I spoon the liquid out   Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and pour over chicken. Cook until chicken is done and sauce has thickened slightly.  Serve over broccoli or brown rice.

Total calories = 2698 calories
8 huge servings = 337 calories per serving

1 1/2 servings Lemon Chicken + Broccoli = 555 calorie dinner

More recipes you might enjoy!

Slow Cooker Chow Mein

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken

Mongolian Beef and Broccoli in the Slow Cooker

Chicken Egg Fu Young
Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

34 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely incredible *drool*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never thought to use the frozen lemonade in a chicken dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the perfect chinese food copycat dish! Takeout at home. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH WOW! This so reminds me of the Chinese lemon chicken, but with minimal fuss! I love that you can use slow-cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY! This looks great and has made me very hungry. :) Just stopping by from New Friend Friday. Hello friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks delish
    its going into my recipe stash
    xoxo
    bB
    ps..new follower

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been looking for good slow cooker recipes, guess this one will top the list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks awesome Debbi, and how perfect for lunch too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That chicken looks SO good!! I love that it has lots of sauce on it - that is the only way I can eat chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chicken snot??? Hahaha! This recipe is so different from the lemon chicken that I posted a few days ago...I'm glad to see there are so many great ways to enjoy that flavor combo! - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum!! So happy to be here, I am always looking for healthy meals to serve my family.
    Emily
    www.familyandlifeinlasvegas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy Cow!! This looks delicious! I was a little reserved at the lemon part, but then I read the recipe. YUM!! Sounds like my type of food. Thanks for the crock pot tip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is making me hungry, and that's not good because it's almost midnight! =) I'm popping by for New Friend Fridays from Trendy Treehouse to say hi! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lemonade concentrate is such a great idea in this dish! The glaze looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks seriously wonderful! I always have a bag of chicken tenders in the freezer, they save me often. lol

    I would love for you to link this recipe up at my new Friday blog carnival. It's here:

    Family Food Fridays

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy cow that looks fantastic! And I got your comment about your weigh-in...do you have another blog that's for weight loss, or should I leave comments here about the challenge? Let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG, I laughed out loud at the chicken snot comment! My daughter would do the same thing!

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lemon Chicken....yum! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.
    I am a new follower from New Friend Friday, so glad to have found your blog and I look forward to more delicious recipes! Have a wonderful weekend!

    Eloise
    Mommy2TwoGirls
    http://mommy2twogirls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crock POt meal... that's what I am talking about! Excellent recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this looks so tasty and easy-MY KIND OF MEAL :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad I'm not the only one who skips the "complicated" steps in crockpot meals and just dumps everything in all at once, even when it is frozen.

    By "complicated" I mean "It takes too long when I'm throwing everything together in the 10 minutes I have before work."

    ReplyDelete
  22. Newest follower fomr NFF. Must remember not to let my husband see this site...he make expect me to actually start cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow this sounds great! I am always looking for new chicken ideas...and the fact that it's a crockpot recipe is a bonus! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks soooooooo good. I'm always in the market for new chicken recipes. Thanks so much for sharing it.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great shortcut dinner - made even more awesome with broccoli! Once in a while chicken tenders go on for a great price, so I will be sure to stock up!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum! I like the taste of lemony foods, so I'm sure I would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVE lemon chicken! Thank you for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the lemon chicken in the slow cooker. The pizza rollups from Tuesday look tasty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. mmmm...lemony delicious glaze...NOM!

    ReplyDelete
  30. They look delicious! Love lemon flavor and must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I was sooo close to making this for a guest today but grilled chicken instead b/c I didn't know how long this should cook. How long do you leave it in the crockpot?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yep, I'm going to have to try this one. It looks delicious! Thanks for stopping by our blog on Friday and linking up- we love having you participate!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks good! And sounds so interesting with the lemonade as an ingredient!

    Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete