Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ice Cream In A Baggie - Kids Project



I'm always looking for fun, easy projects to do with the kids. This one was so fun, we've done it several times.

I made ice cream in a tin can in science when I was a kid and loved it so I knew the kids would love this too! 



My 11 year old got all 5 bags of ice ready. Then every one got a turn pouring the ice cream ingredients into their baggie.


Oh, we totally added chocolate.  It wasn't in the original recipe but we HAD to have chocolate. I'd say we added about a tablespoon or 2 of chocolate.  The kids had their hands on it so some bags got more chocolate than others!



Now for the fun part!  Shaking the bag!  They basically just tossed the bag around and around.  The littler ones had a slightly harder time shaking it and it didn't get quite as thick.  It was so funny, the little ones didn't believe me that the "chocolate milk" would turn into ice cream!



Boy were they surprised!  They all loved it!  Of course.



I tried to explain how it worked but they were too busy eating it to care!



It was so fun and we'll be doing it again for sure!!

This is linked up with Sweet Thursday over at Simply Sweet Home. Also Works For Me Wednesday over at We are THAT Family.   This is an AWESOME after school project that we will for sure be doing as a treat!




Homemade Ice Cream in a Baggie
Adapted from Always Look Up

1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/8 tsp. vanilla
6 tbsp. rock salt
2 sandwich sized ziplock baggie
1 gallon sized ziplock baggie
Ice cubes

Fill the gallon sized bag 1/2 full of ice and add the rock salt.  Put milk, vanilla and sugar into 1 small bag. Seal. Put that bag into the other sandwich bag.  Seal. I do this so it won't rip open with the ice. Shake vigorously until the mixture is ice cream, which takes about 5 - 10 minutes depending how much it is shaken. Wipe off the top of the ice cream bag, then open it carefully.  Pour into a bowl and enjoy. 

More kids projects!





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

12 comments:

  1. That's a super fun idea of making ice cream~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I made ice cream like this and in a can with residents at the nursing home I worked at. They were so surprised at the results.....yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh!! I am so doing this with my girls, how fun! They are going to love it, thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to do this all the time with my kids. We also used to roll the ice cream around in a coffee can. Thanks for reminding me.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there,

    I'm your newest follower from the New Friend Fridays Blog Hop.

    I would love it if you came by for a visit sometime.

    Thanks so much,

    Marie

    The Things We Find Inside

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have done this several times with my classes throughout the years. I always have them bring mittens or socks for their hands. Love this ice cream! Just make sure the baggie doesn't open at all. Salty ice cream is not that great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha this is so much fun! Why haven't I thought to ever make ice cream the old fashioned way???

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a fun an easy thing to do with the kids!

    Following from Spotlight Saturday!

    Colleen
    www.shibleysmiles.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how fun! I bet that was an awesome experience for the kids. :) That seems like something that would be a great activity/treat for kids at the end of the school year in class. Make Your Own Ice Cream Day hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea Debbi! Wish my kids were little again to do this!

    Hope you had a great weekend!

    Biz

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so fun... and yummy! I have been meaning to do this one with my girls for a while, but I always get sidetracked LOL

    ReplyDelete