Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Honey Mustard Chicken with Pretzel Crust



 We LOVE pretzels around here, they are pretty much a staple in the house.  We've covered them with chocolate, covered them in almond bark, dipped them in cheese, I've even seen them go into a sandwich.

Oh yea.

We love our pretzels here. 

But, I've never coated chicken with it. I've heard of it before, but finally decided to do it. 


So the kids were elated when I handed them a baggie full of pretzels and told them to smash them.  Quite the fun, let me tell you! 

These were very good, they didn't stay crispy but they tasted good and weren't overly soggy or at least not annoyingly soggy. We enjoyed them.

Next time, I want to make nuggets for the kids. I know they will like them much better in nugget form. Who wouldn't?



The honey mustard sauce was awesome too.  I wasn't sure they would need it but it added a very nice flavor and I'm glad I made it. 

I also made risotto for the first time!! You can check out the risotto recipe on Our Krazy Kitchen!!!

This is linked with No Whine Wednesday from Food on the Table.  Also linked with What's On Your Plate? over at Good Cheap Eats. And What's on the Menu? over at Dining with Debbie. Also linked with Tasty Traditions over at Coupon Cookin'.  Also linked with Cooking Thursday over at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.

This is also linked with $5 dinner challenge from $5 dinners!  It's more thank $5 but if you shop at the farmers market for veggies or plant your own it's pretty cheap! I get the chicken on sale and use coupons for the pretzels.





Honey Mustard Chicken with Pretzel Crust
Adapted from Allrecipes & Slim Shoppin'

1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. mustard
1 tbsp. spicy mustard
1 tbsp. honey
1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken breast (I had 6 - 4 oz. breasts)
4 cups salted pretzels (4 oz)

Honey mustard sauce:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp. mustard
2 tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. salt

In a bowl, mix together the red wine vinegar, the 2 tbsp. mustard, spicy mustard and honey. 

Place the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap (I use gallon size freezer bags) and pound until they are thinner and equal size.  Coat the chicken with the mustard mixture. 

Place the pretzels into a resealable plastic zipper bag and smash the pretzels until finely ground. (the kids might like to do this).  Place the coated chicken breasts, one at a time into the bag, seal and shake the bag to thoroughly coat each chicken breast with the pretzel.  Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with cooking spray. 

Bake the chicken at 400 for about 25 minutes or until done.  Flip about 1/2 way through to brown both sides.

Mix together mayo, 1 tbsp. mustard, 2 tbsp. honey and salt in bowl.  Drizzle the honey mustard sauce over the chicken to serve.

Total calories = 1801 calories with sauce
6 servings = 300 calories per chicken breast with sauce

Honey Mustard Chicken with Pretzel Crust + Summer squash, zucchini and Pea Risotto = 532 calorie dinner

More recipes you might like!

Smokey Caramelized Balsamic Chicken

Chicken Francais

Raspberry Glazed Rosemary Chicken


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

15 comments:

  1. MMMMMM..... that looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks really tasty, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really yummy must give it a try. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mustard pretzels are my favorite so this has to be good!! Yum. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love crushed pretzels on my chicken! and espec with spicy honey mustard! nommers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sound good. I never thought of using pretzels for a crust before but that is a really good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great! Love that honey mustard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie, I love these crisp looking chicken! What a brilliant idea of using pretzel to coat the chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good idea! Great job on your TV spot. You're a STAR!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish, I could remember where I saw gluten free pretzels. I will have to search the stores and see if I just dreamed it. I could make this, if I find them. You are gooooooooood!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love pretzels, too! they are definitely my go to snack for a road trip... I try not to keep them in the house, because I end up eating them all, but for this, I would break that rule!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great dish and very crispy for sure.
    So delicious ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never tried crushed pretzels on my chicken! love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodness that sounds so good...I wouldn't think of using Pretzels for the crust...YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow yummy and looks kid friendly, can't wait to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete