Monday, August 9, 2010

Hearty Sloppy Joes



I love sloppy joes.  I pretty much like anything that I can just throw in a pan and call it dinner.  No worry about flipping it correctly, or making it pretty with a garnish. Nope.  Just chuck it in a pan, stir it up and it's done. That's what I love. 

The fact that it tastes delicious certainly helps too!

I got this recipe from The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch. Isn't that a cute name?  She put coleslaw on her sloppy joes which looks awesome and I was going to do that but right as I was going to make the coleslaw, I realized my cabbage had been in the frig one day too long. So out went the coleslaw.

I put extra veggies in mine too.  She put tomato sauce in hers.  I put diced tomatoes and some tomato paste. It seemed to works well.  The only thing that I was disappointed with was the color, they were light so they didn't LOOK as good as I was hoping. 

But, this was not about appearances, was it? It was about a quick throw together meal.  This came out delicious and we all loved it.

This was part of my ground turkey freezer cooking day. This makes 2 meals. 







Hearty Sloppy Joes
Adapted from The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch

3 lbs. ground turkey
2 tsp. each salt and pepper
1 cup carrots, finely diced
1 cup celery, finely diced
1 cup zucchini, finely diced
1 cup red pepper, finely diced (about 1 medium)
2 cups onion, finely diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 - 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
3 tbsp. tomato paste
2/3 cup ketchup
3 tbsp. dijon mustard
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup brown sugar, not packed
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

In a large pan, cook ground turkey.  When ground turkey is about half way done, add the veggie and saute along with the ground turkey.  Cook until ground turkey is done.  Drain if necessary. Season with salt and pepper as they cook.  Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes.  Serve with buns or 100 calorie Arnold Select sandwich thins. 

Divide into 2 containers for 2 meals.  Freeze one for another quick and easy meal.  When ready to eat, thaw completely and either warm on stovetop, slow cooker or in microwave.   6 huge servings per container. 

Total calories = 3062 calories for whole batch
12 servings = 255 calories without bun per serving**

**I didn't measure exactly how many sloppy joes we got out of each portion.  I estimate about 6 servings but that is way more than just 6 sloppy joes. I know I had 2 of them with my portion. It depends on what kind of bun and how much you put on it. 

More sloppy joes recipes you may enjoy!

Barbecue Turkey Joes

Sloppy Buffalo Joes

Pioneer Woman Sloppy Joes



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

33 comments:

  1. Debbi, this does look delicious...lots of yummy ingredients go into this. Love your photo too! Where I grew up, we would call these "barbecues." I don't know if this was a regional thing or a family thing! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good one!!!
    I am actually contemplating what to do with a huge bag of turkey chopped meat chillin in my freezer...this is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sloppy joes - I make them often, I have never seen a recipe with balsamic vinegar in it - I can't wait to try this! thanks for linking to two for tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if I could eat that without wearing it? :) Looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, I am laughing because I too put up a recipe for sloppy joe's this week on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! You know what they say about great minds! Thanks for linking up! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks so great...and easy and healthy...all the things i look for in a meal! sloppy joe is my hubsters favorite and i try and make it with some of the various game he wrestles home...to be honest..it is really good with moose. thanks for linking up to Tuesday Night Supper Club!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I think I'm going to make this sometime this week. At least some version of it, depending on what's available in the fridge. :)

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a good one!
    Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sloppy joes! This sounds like a great recipe and I think it's great that you served them on sandwhich thins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hubs loves sloppy joes... I can't eat them but love the smell of them cooking.

    I am a new follower, hope you stop by my blog and follow me back

    I am following you from Tuesday Recipe Blog Hop, My Journey With Candida
    My entry this week is Make Your Own Nut Butters
    http://myjourneywithcandida.blogspot.com/2010/03/make-your-own-nut-butter.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that you have made this with turkey - and the seasonings you have used sound lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GREAT recipe, Debbi! I *heart* sloppy joes! Mmm, is there anything better????

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sloppy Joes may not seem very impressive...but they've always been a favorite in my house...from when we were kids to my kids now. I love your version....I need to use ground turkey in my next batch, it sounds great! Thanks Debbi, for sharing this with Two for Tuesdays this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delicious. This is my kind of recipe, quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love.... love... love sloppy joes. Great recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh yummy! I love sloppy joes, but they are usually so heavy and greasy. These sound light and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great recipe. These look really good and you've made them significantly more healthy. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! We love sloppy joes and I make mine with turkey all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic! I love the addition of zucchini. It's summer here, and I've got a garden full of summer squash. Thank you for sharing with Two for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't had a sloppy joe in so long! I have a mad craving now...delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that you snuck in some zucchini in these! Maybe my husband won't notice! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sloppy joes were probably my favorite dinner as a kid! I need to make your version, it sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  23. love all the veggies! mine is similar!

    http://thebigredpot.blogspot.com/2010/02/homemade-sloppy-joes.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mine are very similar to these. I love using veges in them and the kids don't notice if you grate them fine enough. It is one of the best ways ever to sneak a vegetable or two into their diets. I can't wait to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds good! I bet my hubby wouldn't be able to taste the turkey under all those wonderful ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love making sloppy joes with ground turkey and lots of veggies, too. It's such a great meal to sneak the healthy stuff into without anyone even knowing! Yours look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great looking sloppy joes, and what a budget pleaser! I'm like you - I like to be able to just throw things in a pan, bit of stirring and dinner is done - I'm not much into anything that needs several side dishes to make the meal!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  28. Homemade sloppy joes, now that's REAL FOOD! Thanks so much for linking this to Two for Tuesdays :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's been a loooong time since I had a good sloppy joe and yours looks FANTASTIC! Thanks for linking with T4T.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've never used ground turkey in cooking, only ground beef. Is the flavor and texture very different? My kids are super picky (3 1/2yo and 5 yo boys). Also, I'd love to add veggies, but my 3 1/2yo wouldn't eat it. Could I make a puree with the veggies instead? Would that work?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Leanne - YES - pureeing veggies is a GREAT way to give your kids veggies. My little ones wouldn't eat this either.

    ReplyDelete