Wednesday, August 4, 2010

German Chocolate Amish Friendship Bread with Coconut Pecan Frosting





Did you know German Chocolate Cake has nothing to do with Germany?  It was the dudes name who used the sweetened chocolate or something.

It doesn't matter to me. I just know that it is my favorite cake!  It's always been my favorite! 




So when I saw Tiffanee's recipe for Coconut Pecan Frosting, I knew this would be my next cake.  Until now, I've only eaten this frosting out of a can.  Personally, I think it's awesome out of the can.

But this.  This is amazing. I seriously could just hide in the corner and eat this with a spoon.

Okay, I admit, I did take a spoonful. (or three) 







German Chocolate Amish Friendship Bread

About one cup starter
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
2 small boxes chocolate pudding
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips


Spray 2 - 8 x 8 pans with cooking spray and dust with sugar.  Mix the rest of the ingredients and divide between the two pans. Bake for 1 hour at 350. 

Coconut Pecan Frosting
From One Crazy Cookie


1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tsp. vanilla
7 oz. shredded coconut
1 1/2 (7 oz) cups pecans, (I chopped half and kept half whole)


Place milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks and vanilla in a sauce pan.  On medium heat, stir until butter is melted.  Add coconuts and nuts. Turn the temp up to medium high and stir constantly, for about 12 minutes or until thick and light golden brown.  Cool and then frost the cake!  Or hide in the corner and eat with a spoon!


Total calories = 5322 calories for the frosting only
18 servings = 296 calories per serving (of frosting, not with the cake)

I didn't figure out the exact calories for the cake.  I estimated before and it is ABOUT 300 calories for an 18th. I make this in 2 - 8 x 8 pans and we cut it into 9 pieces which are pretty big and estimate that each piece is about 300 calories. 

Week 1 - Cinnamon Bread
Week 2 - Almond Joy
Week 3 - White Chocolate Almond Craisin
Week 4 - Pistachio Pineapple Coconut
Week 5 - Butterscotch Chocolate
Week 6 - Lemon Raspberry or Blueberry
Week 7 - Banana Cream
Week 8 - Oreo





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

13 comments:

  1. I could use some chocolate right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing. Thanks for visiting! Please join me today for Tasty Traditions. On the plate: Squash Fritters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks like heaven. I love German chocolate cake but I never knew that it was named after someone. I really need to get my hands on the starter dough. You keep coming up with delicious ways to use it. I would participate in your BSI post but we start our journey on Monday and all I have left of my kitchen is one pot, one pan, a spoon and spatula. Not to mention... no food. HaHa I hope you get a good turn out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pass the spoon this way please! I think this is one of my favorites so far. Scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh, that's my favorite too!!! And you made it even better with the pecans!?!? I'm dying.


    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbi that looks amazing!

    I would have to make it and take it to a party or something, because it could get out of hand in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so yummy! I love German Chocolate Cake. I am still on my hunt for someone in the area with a starter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to turn your friendship bread into a German chocolate version! And isn't it funny that we both posted German Chocolate cake at the same time? Us food bloggers can be eerily in synch sometimes. With all these Amish Friendship bread posts, you're going to finally convince me to start making it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coconut Pecan frosting is my favorite! ANd I love everything you do with the AMish friendship bread!

    ReplyDelete
  10. German Chocolate Cake is my mom's absolute favorite kind of cake. She would love this bread! I'm printing the recipe for her now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hand over a clean spoon! Oh, I might even take the dirty one. I love the frosting. Who needs the cake on this one. Yum. It looks so delicious in the pictures, but I know it even tasted better. I don't blame you for taking a few spoonfuls, besides on those chef competition shows they get in trouble all the time for not tasting and checking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOOH!! You had me with the picture. You out did yourself on this one for it is amazing!! Thanks for the link up. It is a good recipe. You are so sweet!! Send me some amish starter!!

    ReplyDelete