Sunday, August 22, 2010

Freezer Cooking Day - Ground Turkey






So what do you do with 20 lbs. of ground turkey?  You have a freezer cooking day!! 

I don't know about you but I don't have time to make all these meals every single night.  So especially with my meat, I buy in bulk, when on sale, and spend a couple of hours prepping it. It makes the following several week so much easier.

Tricia from Once A Month Mom contacted me about a friend in the Twin Cities who was looking to do a local news report about freezer cooking. I jumped at the chance!  Shannon from Channel 12 came on out and talked with me about both of our blogs and the freezer cooking concept. Check out my post about my TV experience!!

Now, if you haven't checked out Once A Month Mom, you really should. She plans out a whole months worth of meals for you, breakfast, lunch and dinner. She tells you exactly what you need, how to label it and everything.  Then you pick your day (preferably with a friend) and cook the day away and then sit back the rest of the month and eat!  I have not tackled that yet, as of now, I just freezer cook in batches, but one of these days I'm totally going to do a whole months worth!    




First I make a plan. How much meat will I have and what will I do with it?  Today, I gathered up all the collected ground turkey recipes that I have been meaning to make.  I jotted down some notes on what I wanted to make, what ingredients I would need and how many pans I would need. 

Then I got down to work. 

I made 4 meatloafs, 2 sets of burgers, meatballs, sloppy joes and taco meat enough for tacos and 2 casseroles.  Plus, I had a couple bags that I separated into 1 lbs. chunks to be used for chili, wraps, spaghetti sauce, whatever.  That's a lot of food. 

This is what I made
Saucy Veggie Meatloaf - 3 lbs. = 2 loaves
Sicilian Meatloaf - 3 lbs. = 2 loaves
Tomato Basil Burgers - 1 1/2 lbs. = 6 burgers
Southwest Burgers - 1 1/2 lbs. = 6 burgers
BBQ Cola Meatballs - 1 1/2 lbs. = 40 meatballs
Taco Meat = 4 lbs. = Split into 3 containers for:
       Taco Twist Bake
       Tacos - 2 meals
Hearty Sloppy Joes - 3 lbs. = 2 meals
2 baggies with 1 lbs. each for chili and Asian Turkey Wraps
1/2 lb. for spaghetti sauce (the kids don't like a lot of meat in their sauce so this works perfect.)

I haven't made all the recipes yet, I'll post them as I go.    

This is my submission to Works For Me Wednesday over at We Are THAT Family!  Freezer cooking TOTALLY works for me!     

This is also linked with Things I Love Thursday over at Diaper Diaries!  I LOVE freezer cooking!!

20 comments:

  1. Holy cow that's a lot of turkey...sounded funnier in my head. I love freezing meals. It's such a nice feeling knowing that even if we are busy or sick, I can still give my family home cooked allergen free meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting, congrats! I love freezing leftovers and eating them the week after, then I don't feel like I'm eating leftovers but a new meal! :)

    That sure is a LOT of turkey, do you have 2 freezers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow debbie...that is a very productive day. you can come over for dessert if i can come for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant idea but sadly I have not much freezer space here. When we move permanently and the other freezer arrives I can make up for lost time:-) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you must have a big freezer! But how lovely to have all those meals ready to go :-) Look forward to seeing your TV debut - it sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome idea. I'm totally going to do this. Thanks!!! Can't wait to see you on TV! Will you post it?

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first time on your blog and I just wanted to say hi! What a great idea with buying in bulk and preparing it all for the week, genuis!! Looking forward to following you and learning some great tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to hear about your TV appearance, wow! There is something so comforting about having food on hand in the freezer...I'll look forward to these recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. TWENTY POUNDS! I am so impressed. You have so many great turkey ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a deep freeze that can literally hold four people in, and I don't take advantage of it. Can't wait to hear about the TV show!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Minced turkey meat is not something we can find daily in the supermarkets....but if I had 20 pounds...I would possibly make some meat sauce, burger buns, meatloaf, sloppy joe, what else? ha! The meat floss!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to do this with all the ground turkey we eat at our house too! Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that I am going back to work after the summer off, and am starting back at school ... I need to do some freezer cooking! How do you package the food so that it doesn't get freezer burnt? Does it get a bit frosty? Is that okay for the food?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ground turkey is one awesome product. so good for you and so many options for what to make!!!

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to do this. Our freezer is so small though and since it's just the two of us, one time of cooking gives us 2-3 meals and I only have two feet of space!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that is a lot of meat! I wish I had a freezer large enough. Congrats on your TV appearance, that is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You totally rock girl! I can't wait to see you on TV! That is so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that sounds like a really great idea! I could use ideas like that to fill up my freezer for those days when I am not home in time, or my daughter needs to start dinner-Thanx!

    check my blog out!

    http://debinontariosramblings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea! I love Jenni-O ground turkey...sometimes they even have the coupons on the package! If you can catch that with the 50% of store deals great price! woo hoo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent read. I like your style...have a good one!/Nice blog! Keep it up!

    Freezers

    ReplyDelete