Saturday, August 14, 2010

Coconut Macaroons



We used to go Fuddruckers a lot.  Back when I ate without actually THINKING about how much I was actually eating.  Oh, the huge hamburgers with all the awesome toppings!! And we'd get the family sized onion rings.  My favorite!

My mouth is so watering at the memory!

Then there was dessert.  Of course, there HAD to be dessert, right? My husband and I would always get the coconut macaroons. The kids would get their chocolate chip cookie or something.  The macaroons were phenomenal.  I didn't even think about calories or the fact that I had already ate way too much and was full. 

The macaroons were WORTH getting even fuller. 

Well the day's of Fuddruckers is over.  Nothing against them, it's just not how I choose to eat these days. 

I do miss the macaroons though. 

Until I saw this awesome recipe for them.  It had never even dawned me to google a recipe to make them. 

I brought these along to the inlaws house for a small gathering.  They were a complete hit. In fact, when it was time to leave, I was forced persuaded not to take them back home and to leave the extras there.  Delicious as they were, I did choose to leave them there as I would have demolished them when I got home which would NOT have been good! 

I thought about coating the bottoms with chocolate or drizzling them with chocolate but I made them at the last minute and it was time to go. I'm glad I didn't because they didn't need it at all. It certainly would have been good, (dude, it's chocolate) but they didn't need it.

I will for sure make these again.  Only when I have to bring them somewhere as I know I would not be trusted alone with them!!





Coconut Macaroons
Recipe from Cookie Sleuth

5 cups coconut (I used a whole 14 oz. bag and about 1/4 of a bag)
2/3 cup flour
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 egg white
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350.  Measure and mix coconut and flour in a large mixing bowl.  Add in condensed milk, egg white, salt and vanilla.  Mix thoroughly.  Drop about 1/8 cup scoopfuls on to a cookie sheet.  Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from cookie sheet immediately and cool on a wire rack.  Yields 24 cookies.

Total calories = 4333 calories
24 cookies = 181 calories per macaroon

Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

22 comments:

  1. YUM! Love coconut macaroons! These look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your great submission! I love coconut macaroons too but have NEVER made them!!! I can't believe it! Thanks for sharing this simple, classic recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these look so good! I am going to make some for some older women I am visiting this month! I am on a huge diet and CANNOT be trusted not to eat every one! (that 4333 calories just had me laughing right out loud!) I could so see myself eating the whole batch. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can I have one of those? and an onion ring? lol

    ever make the hungry girls recipe for onion rings with ground up fiber one cereal? they are tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh macaroons. Super delicious! These look so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to Fuddruckers, which might be a good thing. ;)

    Thanks for sharing the recipe, they look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried to make macaroons and they were inedible! I will have to use your recipe next time. These look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who would have thought that macaroons could be relatively healthy as far as a dessert?? These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love macaroons. I tend to get the bottom of macaroons too dark. I'll try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious...and are so much better for you than I expected! Definitely a worthwhile splurge on dessert :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. One word: YUM! I am visiting your blog for the first time, and I am loving reading your older posts. Thank you for the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. THese sound so good, but I find anything with sweetened condensed milk trouble! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love anything COCONUT......Cannot sleep so reading blogs.....Hope you have a great week....Winners are on A BABY CHANGES EVERYTHING. Prayer request on this blog....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love macaroons too, and especially since they are so easy to make and relatively guiltless!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love love love coconut macaroons! I usually associate them with passover, but this recipe looks like something I would enjoy any day of the year! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! those look amazing.
    i am a big fan of macaroons as well and they looks pretty easy to prepare. i imagine bringing tray to my family's house will cause the same reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE coconut and macaroons. Yummmm.... These look awesome. Unfortunately I have already eaten my calories for the day so I am sitting here drooling :(

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. I always look forward to what you have to say!

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never tried to make my own macaroons but I've been seeing them posted all over blog land recently - looks like they are becoming quite popular. I'll have to give them a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved every bit of those 4333 calories! :) I'm so glad you and your family liked them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband's favorite cookie - with or without the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never made one of these -- they look great and I can see why they are a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love coconut! I just found out last night while I was baking with some coconut, that my 2 year old does too! hehehe. These would be fun to make with her :) Yummy recipe Debbi!

    ReplyDelete