Friday, August 13, 2010

Chocolate Covered Cherry Amish Bread Cake

 The Chocolate Covered Cherry Amish Bread/Cake. 

Did you notice the COLOR of the cake???  Yup. Green.  Strange.

It is Devil's Food Chocolate Pudding mix with a couple tablespoons of maraschino cherry juice instead of vanilla.  Who would have thought that it would turn GREEN!! 

My brother said that the picture looked like meatloaf.

Despite the unappetizing color of the cake, it was really quite good.  The chocolate cherry flavor was excellent and the glaze on top rocked!  I'm not so sure I would serve it at a party or for company though. 

Unless it was Halloween!  :-) 

Week 1 - Cinnamon Bread
Week 2 - Almond Joy
Week 7 - Banana Cream
Week 8 - Oreo

Chocolate Covered Cherry Amish Bread Cake

About one cup of starter
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. cherry juice
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
2 small boxes of Devil's Food Chocolate Pudding
1 jar of maraschino cherries, drained with juice reserved
1 cup chocolate chips

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. cocoa
2 tbsp. cherry juice
Milk to make smooth

Spray 2 - 8 x 8 pans or 1- 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.  Mix ingredients together and pour into pan or pans.  Bake at 325 for about 1 hour and 5 minutes. Cool. Mix glaze together and spread evenly over cake. Cool and enjoy!

**My favorite way to bake any of the amish breads or cakes is in 2 - 8 x 8 pans. I feel they cook the best.  I used a 9 x 13 today as my pans were being used for other things today. 


  1. You really need to stop it with the Amish bread recipes....I have vacation weight to lose. ;)

  2. I am so excited to be the winner of these muffins! I cannot wait to get my hands on them! MMmmmm! I'm bad with assorted packs...I'll want to try one of each that very first day! LOL! I'll be clearing out some room in the basement freezer for them! Figure I'll have to walk downstairs in order to eat one! LOL! Less tempting!

    I still haven't gotten around to trying these Amish Friendship breads. When I do, I can't wait to try your different variations!

    Funny, the pic does kind of look like meatloaf!

  3. Yum...chocolate and cherries...great combo!
    I will definitely be making this recipe soon.

  4. That looks amazing! I also for a quick minute thought it was meatloaf. Thanks for sharing- this is something I think I will be needing to try!

  5. omg it TOTALLY looks green... but it looks very very moist! I have some starter in my freezer... its my weakness so i leave it in the freezer for special occassions