Sunday, August 29, 2010

Chicken Tagine in the Slow Cooker


.


Have I mentioned I love my slow cooker? Well, here it is again. I love my slow cooker.  This meal was awesome and it was in the crockpot by 9 am and dinner was done. The couscous just takes like 10 minutes. 

This was chock full of hearty veggies and it smelled so good while cooking!!

I don't know too much about this kind of cooking, I thought it was an indian dish but it turns out it is a Moroccan recipe. Amazing what you can learn from Wikipedia!  What did people do before google?

This is linked with Just Something I Whipped Up over at The Girl Creative!






Chicken Tagine Recipe


1 tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. boneless chicken, thighs or breasts (I used breasts)
1 eggplant, cut into 1 in. cubes
2 large onions, chopped
4 large carrots, chopped in chunks
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite sized chunks
1/2 cup craisins
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
2 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp. tomato paste
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 1/2 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper


Heat olive oil in a pan, place the chicken pieces and eggplant in the pan and cook until chicken is browned but not cooked all the way through.  Place browned chicken and eggplant in the crockpot.  Layer the onion, carrots, sweet potatoes, craisins and apricots over the chicken.  Whisk together the remaining ingredients, pour the broth into the crock pot.  Cook on higt for 5 hours or low for 8 hours.  Serve with couscous if desired.

Total calories = 1355 calories
6 servings = 226 calories per serving

Chicken Tagine + 1 cup of couscous = 402 calorie dinner


More slow cooker recipes you might enjoy!


Chow Mein in the slow cooker


Sweet & Sour Pot Roast


Orange Chipotle Boneless Ribs in the Slow Cooker



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

16 comments:

  1. Boy do I love a chicken tagine & this one looks delicious as well as being healthy. WIN-WIN!Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My crock pot is lonely. This might be just the thing to make it happy again. What a great recipe,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Our oven is broke in the new house so I have been making slow cooker recipes for dinner, which is new for me. I usually only use is for soups and stews. I will have to give this a try. Oh and I am a huge fan of wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm stealing this and getting it ready tonight to pop into the slow cooker tomorrow morning. This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i havent played with my crock pot in a long while... but maybe its time to dust it off! Love this! im having morroccan burgers for lunch today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the slow cooker too, this looks like a great one.

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I told you my crockpot is lonely. Not any more. Right now, it is cooking up a Moroccan Vegetable Tagine. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbi,

    I left an award for you on my blog.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, this sounds great!! I love a good crockpot recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbi, thank you so much! I love your healthy slow-cooker recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just had some Morrocan Chicken Tajine too on our anniversary. I love the medley of flavors and spices with it... Good job Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a must try recipe!! Thank you for sharing!! I'm happy to be your newest follower of your delightful blog and would love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! I would also like to invite you to link up to my party every Friday @ Fabulous Friday Finds! Hope to see you there!!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love my crock pot also!! This looks amazing. Your couscous looks good also. Mine never looks that great. You need to share you secrets because this looks like such a delicious meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Debbie,
    I am so glad that you link up to our Fabulous Friday party so that I found you and keep coming back for more goodness. Made your Turkey broccoli slaw wraps tonight and was very impressed. DH loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this looks wonderful! I love the combination of savory and sweet and am fond of both Indian and Moroccan flavors, so I think this will be a winner.

    ReplyDelete