Monday, August 2, 2010

Cherry Tassies



Aren't these adorable?? 

We had so much fun making these.  The dough was super simple. I don't have a big food processor so I put the hard peppermint candies in a baggie, in another baggie and let my kids smash then to smitherines on the driveway with a hammer!

Then they took turns rolling the dough into the sugar and putting them into the mini muffin pan.  Then of course was the fight over who got to put the maraschino cherries in the dough.  Serious fun. 

I took these to a BBQ and they were a hit.  They looked gorgeous and everyone was surprised by the taste of the mint.




Several people remarked that these would make nice Christmas cookies. 

The original recipe calls for these with the stems on.  I only had enough cherries with stems for about half of them.  I don't really think the stems are essential.  I got this recipe from Noble Pig and she has amazing photographs. I'm guessing she used a bit more dough for each tassy as she got 48 and I got 60. Plus, if you look at her pictures, her dough goes over the cherry a bit. It depends on the size of the cherrys too.  None of this matters.  They were delicious and I would totally make them again!!








Cherry Tassies
Adapted from Noble Pig

1 1/4 cups butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar, divided
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. peppermint extract
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup finely crushed striped peppermint candies (about 18 - 20) You can use a food processor. Or a hammer.
Maraschino cherries with stems, drained
Regular sugar for sprinkling

Generously coat a mini muffin pan with cooking spray.  Set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter on medium for about 30 seconds.  Gradually, beat in 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, baking powder and salt.  Beat in peppermint extract, vanilla and egg. Beat in as much of the flour as you can. Using a spoon, stir in any remaining flour and candies. 

Place remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar in a bowl.  Shape into 1 in. balls, roll in powdered sugar.  Press each ball into bottom and up sides of prepared muffin cups.  Place cherry, stem side up, in each cup.  Bake about 12 - 14 minutes at 350 or until pastry is browned.  Sprinkle lightly with sugar as soon as they are out of the oven.  Cool and loosen from pan.  The original recipe says it makes 48 but I got 60, apparently I didn't use as much dough.

Total calories = 5060 calories
60 servings = 84 calories per cherry tassy

Other desserts you may enjoy!

Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies















Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownies














Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

33 comments:

  1. Debbie, Those Tassies look delicious! I am such a fan of all things cherry - thanks for sharing the recipe too. I just signed up to follow your fabulous blog! Please stop by and visit me sometime at www.stephaniesavorsthemoment.com. Looking forward to your next post! Cheers:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look fantastic...The peppermint suprised me...I wasn't expecting it in a cookie with a cherry on it, but it sure does make me want to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so yummy and cute! I will definitely add these to my Christmas cookie list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute recipe. I have never seen these before. I am sure they would make a lovely Christmas cookie with the peppermint and red cherry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As soon as I saw these had peppermint, I thought "Chirstmas Cookies!" can you tell I'm already excited?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cherries coming out of the top of these are super adorable! I love that there's a mint surprise mixed in as well.

    Perfect timing on the ground turkey as I'm posting a recipe with it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous cookies..picture perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh - these would be perfect on a Christmas cookie tray! I love maraschino cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be running for these the minute they got set out. What a great idea and how much fun the kids had helping with making them. I love the cherry in the middle it just screams "Eat me!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so darling. I love tassies! The cherries look so terrific with the stem still on. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are so cute and yummy looking. I think my girls would love baking these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look awesome!!!!! And so beautiful. My oldest would flip over those. We have to make them.

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did I mention that I have a serious sweet tooth?! I am drooling :) They look great and I would love to make them.

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This recipe reminds me of something I had as a child. I wonder if it was the same thing. I agree, they would be adorable for Christmas...or Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. MMM, they look so good. I bet the peppermint givs a great flavor. And, they look so pretty too. A must try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look amazing!! I have never seen anything like this before. YUM!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are beautiful and remind me of the cherry financiers I saw on the Cooking Photographer's blog last year--no peppermint in hers though. Was the peppermint strange with the cherries? I can't imagine it tasting right.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are adorable...loving the cherry stems!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful tassies! I haven't made tassies in years! You've inspired me!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I would have fun eating around these until I get to the cherry in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mint and cherries sounds like a fun combination. And I'll bet the stems make for interesting conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are super cute and sound so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fun and unique cookies! I love mint, and I love cherries... sounds like a winner to me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those are so cute! My husband would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think my husband would love these :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for participating the Smackdown Battle. Best of luck to you. These cookies look delicious! :)

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a creative twist on a tassie. I love the cute little cherries on top.

    ReplyDelete
  28. They look fantastic!!! I will make these for my son's birthday party!! They will love them. :) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those are adorable! I love the stem still in the cookie. Almost makes it fun to pick up off the plate :) Very original. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for linking at our virtual cookie swap! So creative! Love the stem!

    ReplyDelete