Thursday, August 19, 2010

Beef Burritos from Slow Cooked Roast and Spice Rub




So this meal was a 2 day process. It wouldn't necessarily have to be that way, it was just that way for me. I cooked the meat one day and we enjoyed the burritos the next evening.  

My meat was partially frozen so I knew it would take a LONG time to cook.  I left it in the crockpot for a good 12 hours.  It was perfect, I chopped it up, stirred it around in the delicious spicy juice and stuck it in the refrigerator for the next day.




I sauteed a bunch of veggies because almost everything I make HAS to be pumped full of veggies, right? 






Then I added sour cream and cheese to the veggies.  This was awesome!  I could have eaten this as a dip!



I got this recipe from Food Junkie in Texas. She then put the sour cream/veggie mix on a tortilla with some meat on top and rolled them up.

I like to simplify as much as possible.  So I measured out a pound of the meat and threw it right in the sour cream/veggie glop. 

It no longer looked as pretty, but it was easier. Then I knew it would be evenly distributed and makes measuring for calorie counting easier. 
Plus, it's all going to the same place, isn't it??

There are a LOT of spices in here. I think her cut of meat was larger so I cut down the spices from her recipe.  There was PLENTY here and it was quite flavorful.  It is pretty spicy by itself but with the veggies and sour cream mixture, it was perfect.




Then I distributed the tasty, scrumptious goo between 10 tortillas. She topped them with salsa and called them enchiladas. I'm not as much of a salsa fan so I left them naked and just called them burritos.  My brother and hubs dipped theirs into salsa.  I just added a bit of tomato to mine.  Perfect.  

Plus I still have a tub of meat to either make these again or just use for tacos.  I actually might make some enchiladas with them.  Who knows.

This is linked with Foodie Friday from Designs by Gollum. Also, Friday Favorites by Simply Sweet Home.   And Fabulous Fridays from Saving Money and Living Life.   Also Wholesome Whole Foods from Healthy Food Lover.  Also Family Food Fridays from Get Healthy Cheap.

Also linked with Something I Just Whipped Up from The Girl Creative!!  Also Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. Also Tuesday at the Table from All the Small Stuff. And with Tuesday Tastes at Crazy Daisy.  Also with The Supper Club over at Fudge Ripple. And Two for Tuesdays over at Girlichef and a bunch of other awesome bloggers showcasing real food recipes!






Spiced Rub and Roast


2 tbsp. ancho chile powder
2 tbsp. chile powder
2 tbsp. ground cumin
2 tbsp. ground coriander
2 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. ground ginger
1 tbsp. pepper
1 tbsp. salt
2 tsp. allspice
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. chipotle chile powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 tbsp. brown sugar


3 lbs. chuck roast
1/2 cup water or beef broth


Trim any fat off roast.  Mix all the spices together. Rub on all sides of the roast.  If you can, put it in the refrigerator for awhile. 


Place in a big crock pot, cook, covered on low for about 8 - 12 hours.  Add the water or beef broth.  Mine was partially frozen still so I let mine go for about 12 hours.  Remove roast, chop into small pieces or shred. Add to spiced liquid in crock pot and stir to combine.  Separate into 2 or 3 containers for burritos or tacos.  I cooked mine all day but we didn't eat it until the next night. 




Beef Burritos
Adapted from Food Junkie In Texas


About 3 cups of beef from chuck roast (1 lb)
1 zucchini (about 1 1/2 cups), chopped
1 large onion (about 1 1/2 cups), chopped
1 poblano pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
3 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup sour cream, (I used light)
1 cup cheese, colby jack or cheddar (4 oz)
10 - 100 calorie whole wheat tortillas (8 in)

Total calories = 2769 calories
10 burritos = 277 calories per burrito

2 Beef Burritos = 554 calorie dinner

More recipes you might like!

Chipotle Bean Burritos

Shredded Beef, Bean & Corn Fajitas

Beef and Bean Chimichangas

Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

29 comments:

  1. This looks really good. I like that it was a two day process though. It makes for a speedy dinner the following day. Perfect for when you know that you will be pressed for time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good!
    I'm sure you could freeze these too for a quick lunch...so your two days would last a lot longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look absolutely delicious. My hubby would love them. Thanks again for being a feature guest on Between the Lines today. I am so happy to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's got to be the happiest 554 calories I've ever seen....and I get TWO? Yeah baby!

    Thanks for linking up at Family Food Fridays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love burritos and yours look great. It was very smart that you cut the procedure in two. That makde your life a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. please note that i would eat the meaty filling right out of the hot pan... no assembly required. send it over! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks amazing! I don't mind the 2 day process, I've done that making pulled pork sammy's...

    I've never made anything like this, I think my family would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Burritos are one of my favorite things, and the husband would love these, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great...but you just made me want to make those pizza burritos again. Off to the freezer to take out the frozen ground turkey :)

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love two day processes! They make me feel like I'm not cooking at all on the second day. Love all the veggies you threw in there....but you probably already knew that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey Deb just checking in... missed you all.. YAY MY HIGHSPEED IS BACK up...

    just catching up

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. :-))
    I adore the burritos and yours using wholewheat wrap with richly spiced beef sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks really good. I love chuck roast and it makes this delicious for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum!! I love Mexican and can always use another burrito idea. I also love shredded meat. These would probably freeze well wouldn't they??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glop ;) Too cute. Don't you just love the slow cooker? Thank you for sharing this spicy one with Two for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debs! This looks awesome! I love using the slow cooker to make meat that is so tender it falls apart! These burritos are totally something I would make and my whole family would enjoy! Thanks for linking to the two for tuesday blog hop! :) Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbi,
    I love this - I actually have a roast in the freezer that needs cooking and we LOVE Mexican flavored meat. Thanks for linking this to Two for Tuesdays!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yet another delicious recipe. And low cal as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the sound of that spice rub, Debbi! Plus, I love slow cooked meat that gets pull-tender...stuff it all in a burrito...and well, perfection! Thanks so much for sharing this with Two for Tuesdays this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So smart to mix up the veggies, cheese and sour cream like that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm the same way in the kitchen - make it simple! I love the shortcuts you shared and the calorie counts!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That sounds delicious! My husband loves burritos, too, and would love that sour cream mixture.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love any meat with a spice rub. All that slow cooking makes for a tender meat. I can think of a lot of ways to use this recipe and I've bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. seriously...554 calories? delicious and low cal...what a treat. you make the best stuff! thanks for linking up to TNSC

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your burritos sound really good!

    Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete