Sunday, August 1, 2010

Apple & Pear Waldorf Salad




I've made this salad many times. Well, it's about time I share it!!

I love waldorf salad but hate all the calories. Or worse yet, not knowing how bad the calories are! 




This salad is light, refreshing and simply delicious!  I love the orange flavor, it's a surprise to everyone who tries it. I always get positive reviews when I make this.  

 

Two For Tuesdays over at Girlichef! 
Vegetarian Foodie Fridays over at Breastfeeding Mom's Unite




Apple and Pear Waldorf Salad Recipe
Adapted from Hungry Girl

2 medium unpeeled red apples, diced (we like fuji)
2 medium unpeeled pears, diced
1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup craisins
1/4 cup mayo, light
1/4 cup Yoplait fat free orange creme yogurt (from a 6 oz container)
2 tbsp. frozen orange juice concentrate

In a large bowl, mix apples, pears, celery, raisins and craisins.  In a small bowl, mix mayo, yogurt and orange juice concentrate until well blended.  Add to fruit, toss to coat. 

Total calories = 910 calories
6 servings = 152 calories

Other salads you many enjoy!

Broccoli Cauliflower Salad













Broccoli Apple Slaw

















Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

20 comments:

  1. What a great combination. This sounds really good. I have made a low calorie Waldorf salad myself with curry. I will have to give yours a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious - what a great way to lighten up a traditional Waldorf Salad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm! I love Waldorf salad but have never made it with pears. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, that looks yummy! I love Waldorf Salad; I've never had it with pear, so I will have to try that.

    I'm visiting from Just Something I Whipped Up. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nom Nom- something amazingly delicious about the way the flavors in a Waldorf salad come together. I just love it! Totally going to enter your giveaway. <3 the vitas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made Waldorf salad with apples and here I am thinking, how much better, it would be with pears. You always inspire me.

    Thanks for linking to My Meatless Monday. You add great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i don't think i've ever had waldorf salad, but i'll have to try your recipe. it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm still alive! just not as blog crazy as the past. i always read your recipes though!

    i usually have extra apples after making my freezer full of smoothies. usually they sit on the counter and go bad. now i know what to do with them! i really need to be better about not wasting food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I never would have thought of using orange in a waldorf salad. I think I'll give this recipe a shot using plain yogurt and orange zest. Thank you for submitting to Two for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks really delicious! I love the light idea-ha! I have never had a Waldorf salad but we just stated a Waldorf school! FUNNY :)

    Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! One of my favorite types of salads...this version sound awesome...and I totally wish I had some to eat for lunch today. Delish! Thanks for sharing it with Two for Tuesdays this week, Debbi! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Waldorf Salad, sadly it is a "thanksgiving" recipe - you have inspired me to make one soon! Love the addition of orange flavor. Thanks for linking to Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Debs! Lovely summer potluck salad! I have most of the fixings to make this, but would use whole mayo and full fat yogurt with some orange juice mixed in and a bit of honey. Just figuring it out as I go along, but now I am craving it! :) Thanks for posting on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these salads and yours looks great! Is it still healthy if you eat 3 servings??? Hmmmmm..... Thanks for linking to T4T.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all the ingredients in this Waldorf salad. What a great way to get your daily servings of fruit. I also wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate the visit and I hope you come back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow... Amazing... Delicious and healthy food. Must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My mom always made waldorf salad with chicken and I loved it - it's been way too long since I've made it. This orange version sounds super yummy - I think I'll have to make this soon. Maybe lunch tomorrow :) Thanks for sharing at Two for Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another delicious recipe!! You are so GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mm. I wouldn't have thought of adding orange but I think you just helped me improve my own waldorf salad! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the idea of orange yogurt in apple salad!

    ReplyDelete