Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Turkey Black Bean Burgers



I have been in love with the Morningstar Chipotle Black Bean burgers.  I seriously have been buying them in bulk and eating them everyday that I don't have leftovers.

I saw these burgers and knew I had to try them!  They are not completely vegetarian like the other ones but that's okay because I'm not a vegetarian! 

So with mashed up beans, onions, zucchini and peppers, these were a complete hit!  They were packed with veggies but still had meat so hubs wouldn't complain!





1 lb of ground turkey = 7 huge burgers.

Nice.

My only complaint (and it was my fault) was that they sorta crumbled when I made them in the pan.  The original recipe called for one part ground turkey and one part black beans. Well, I threw the whole can of black beans in there.  So the extra beans might have caused the slight crumbly-ness. No worries, next time I will just add another egg white (I already put it in the recipe below). 

I ate this with some Kraft Chipotle Mayo that I bought from the store. I just bought it because I had a coupon and it was cheap. I'm quite sure you could accomplish the same thing by just putting mayo and chipotle powder together.  In any case, it was delicious and I'm so ready to make these again.





I seriously loved this whole meal.  I served these with a southwestern butternut squash that was out of this world!!    

 





Turkey Black Bean Burgers
Adapted from Dine and Dish


1 can canned black beans, rinsed and drained
2 egg whites
2/3 cup shredded zucchini
2/3 cup sweet red pepper, chopped finely
1/2 cup onion, chopped finely
1 1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1 lb. ground turkey, 93%
7 - 100 calorie Arnold Select sandwich thins
Optional toppings: tomato, lettuce, onion...


In a bowl, mash beans.  Add egg white, zucchini, red pepper, onion, salt and pepper.  Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well.  Shape into 6 patties.  In a large pan, cook burgers with cooking spray until done.  Serve on sandwich thins with optional toppings.


Total calories = 1811 calories
7 burgers = 259 calories per burger without toppings


Turkey Black Bean Burger with toppings + Southwest Squash Casserole = 455 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

26 comments:

  1. That's great Debbi! My husband would love these, they look awesome! I'm sure I'll like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum i for sure have to try these

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...those look really great! and i just love those rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty soon I'm going to have to stop reading these recipes. I don't think I can eat them all. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to cook with only turkey, but most of it turned out to have more fat than hamburgers! Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tasty! I've made something similar... Black beans plus meat a little bit of frozen corn and taco seasoning. The sandwich thins are much healthier than the flour tortilla I put mine in, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a black bean burger last summer, but didn't think to add meat in with it - will try that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mixing black beans into turkey burgers is the perfect way to decrease meat...meaning cheaper burgers! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound like great burgers. I always have black beans on the shelf and it is a good way to use up zucchini from the garden. I love sandwich thins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never tried black beans in burgers..looks n sounds wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok I totally need to try the Morningstar bean burgers... Ive been having tons of the Boca ones ... The recipe looks soooo yummy I will try that too... You rock.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound great! Hubby eats those burgers all the time so it would be fun to make our own!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Black Bean Burgers! These sound so good with the Chipotle mayo! Thanks for sending them to the Burger Free For All!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Debbi - one thing I do when I grill or pan fry turkey burgers is put them in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes before cooking. They get a nice sear on one side as they "thaw" so that they stick together when flipped.

    Love it - of course, without the onions! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love turkey burgers and have added a lot to the patties before but surprisingly, never beans. What a great idea! I love that the equal parts meat and bean ratio would cut the cost on this meal as well. Definitely a winner :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that there is zucchini in this. I will have to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There you go again with another great recipe and a meatless one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The only black beans I've ever had is with beef and black bean sauce. I've only ever had red and white beans in a tin. Will have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These burgers look so healthy and yummy. And super budget friendly too! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Weren't those fantastic? I love your adaptations!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These sound wonderful! Thanks so much for linking them up at The Motivation Station :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so inspired by your healthy recipes each week! Thank you for sharing another yummy one. I just tried making half turkey, half hamburger burgers for the 1st time. My family actually ate those better than they usually do just regular hamburgers! Hmmm... makes you think, doesn't it? :) Thank you for linking to the Recipe Share Party last week.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  23. Also, what are sandwich thins? Are they like buns? We always use whole wheat, whole grain buns, but I usually just use the bottom of the buns because I don't like so much bread with my burger. ?? These sound like a solution perhaps.

    Thanks!
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  24. I make a black bean burger minus the turkey, I just put them on my blog tonight. Yours reminded me of mine, the mixture in your bowl looks very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I came via Reeni's blog. I love the vegetables mixed with the turkey and may fashion a meatloaf out of it for the family. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete