Monday, July 19, 2010

Sweet Potato Bean Burritos



I pretty much love anything on a tortilla.   

I also adore sweet potatoes and beans.

So clearly I knew that I would love this even before the first bite hit my mouth.  What I loved about these was that I didn't need to add anything to them.  I certainly could have added tomato, avocado, lettuce and sour cream as I often.  With the sweet potato adding so much sweet flavor, they didn't seem to need anything else.  That makes things SOOOO much more simple when preparing. 








The recipe that I sorta followed called for cheese but as usual, I didn't put any one and didn't miss it. One. Bit.  Seriously, save yourself a ton of calories and just skip it.  Especially with the sweet potato, it just would have been overkill and I think it would have just dulled the flavor of everything rather than enhance it. 

We also cheated and didn't put these in the oven.  We just toasted the tortilla on the stove and then rolled it up. It's really the same thing and we're just used to it that way.

This is linked at Tuesday at the Table at All The Small Stuff.  Also Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.  And Tuesday Tastes over at Crazy Daisy!  Link up there and then vote for you favorite! And Two for Tuesdays over at Girlichef.  She and a few other bloggers have a link for some awesome real food recipes!  Also linked with Vegetarian Foodie Friday's over at Breastfeeding Mom's Unite



Sweet Potato Bean Burritos

1 onion, chopped
3 - 4 cloves of garlic
2 cans of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup water
1 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. prepared mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
Salt and pepper
8 - 100 calorie whole wheat tortillas

Saute onion in cooking spray for about 5 minutes.  Add garlic, saute for about 2 minutes.  Stir in beans and mash.  Gradually add in water and heat until warm.  Remove from heat, stir in chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce. 

Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potato evenly between the tortillas.  Fold tortillas and place seam side down on a baking sheet.  Bake for 12 minutes in oven at 350 until warm and serve.

Total calories = 2235 calories
8 servings = 279 calories per burrito

2 Sweet Potato Bean Burritos = 558 calorie dinner

Here are some more awesome meals you might like!

 Pineapple Black Bean Enchiladas



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

30 comments:

  1. I love just about anything on a tortilla also! I have never thought of sweet potatoes. We can't have them because of allergies but I bet pumpkin or acorn squash would be similar. Thanks for linking to Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good and healthy too! I would love to try it someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMMMMM can i use black beans?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a combination of flavors I had never thought of. I love to try new things so I will give it a go. I am sure I will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome! Love sweet potatoes and black beans so this should be great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet potatoes and black beans are a favorite combo! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely n healthy burritos...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm! How interesting! These look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yum. Great idea. And thanks for the oatmeal/meatball tip. I'm going to try that.

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmm...the beans and sweet potato combo intrigues me! I don't find tortillas over here in Japan very often, what else do you think it would be good on? It looks good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This would be great with the sweet potatoes! I agree, no cheese needed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I liked sweet potatoes - somehow its a texture thing for me - but your burritos look delicious, even without the cheese! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love anything in a tortilla, vehicle of the gods in my opinion. I bet the sweetness of the potates marries perfectly with the beans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! only 500 calories for a heavy filling burrito! great recipe! thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just watched my 20 y.o. cousin eat a $1 covenience store frozen burrito, egads, because he thought it was cheap nutrition! I wish I could convince him to make his own. These look so quick and easy. Thanks for sharing your recipe on the blog hop at Two for Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I've ever had sweet potatoes and beans together before, but it sounds like an excellent combo. These sound super simple and yummy. Thanks for sharing this recipe on Two for Tuesdays blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i am with you i love anything in a tortilla-this is a great combo for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beans and sweet potatoes sound like a great combo in a burrito!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so with you. I love anything on a tortilla! This sounds like a wonderful filling!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yum yum yum yum yum!!! Debs, this brings back good memories of my vegetarian days! I love to add a few meatless meals during the week and will put this one on the menu shortly! Thanks for sharing the real food love at the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all things in tortillas too. When I was up with family I made spaghetti tacos. I thought that my niece would get a kick of it and she did. These sound really good. The only thing I am missing to make them are sweet potatoes. I guess when I go to the store to get groceries today, I will just have to pick some up. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful combo! I'll have to try this one out for sure. Thanks for linking up to Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I too love the sweet potato bean combo! You have inspired me! Have I told you lately I love your blog? Because I do!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I never would have thought to put sweet potatoes in a burrito! Now I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love anything burrito. And one of my favorite recipes I don't make as much as I would like uses potatoes too. One day I will have to make it and share it with you too. Thanks for linking!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting. I'm gonna have to try this. I have whole wheat tortillas, beans and sweet potatoes in the fridge right now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. PS found you through Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  28. Finally! We had these for dinner tonight--they've been on my "to make" list since you posted them. I liked them but the hubs wasn't too thrilled about the sweet potato part. Doesn't surprise me--he just doesn't like contrasting flavors and never enjoys sweet with his savory. picky! That means I get ALL the leftover and I'm not complaining! :)

    ReplyDelete