Thursday, July 8, 2010

Southwestern Butternut Squash



I bought a butternut squash last week. I had no specific purpose for it but I love squash and thought it would make a simple side dish. I never used it. It sat on my counter for a week.  Then it came time for me to make these delicious turkey black bean burgers so I wanted a dish that would go along with it. 

So I googled Southwestern Squash.  I saw a recipe that sounded good, needed some changes but it was a good starting off point.  Then I realized that it was a recipe for summer squash, not butternut squash.  I couldn't figure out why the recipe wanted me to puree the squash.  Huh? That didn't make sense.  

Well, what the heck, I was still going to make it with the butternut squash.  So I added some stuff, changed amounts and this is what I came up with.   



This was fantastic! Even my squash hating husband liked it and my daughter raved about it.  I ended up eating the leftovers for breakfast!  Seriously.  This rocked!




Southwestern Butternut Squash

1 butternut squash (mine was 1 lb. 10 oz. after cut and peeled)
4 green onions, chopped
1 small can of green chiles
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
1/3 cup sour cream, light
2 eggs
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used colby jack)
Salt and pepper to taste

Peel and cut squash into chunks. Steam on stove with some water until soft enough to mash.  Drain water and mash squash.  Add the rest of the ingredients except for the cheese.  Pour mixture into an 8 x 8 pan sprayed with cooking spray.  Add cheese to the top.  Cook for about 25 minutes at 375. 

Total calories = 928 calories
6 huge servings = 155 calories per serving

Turkey Black Bean Burger with toppings + Southwestern Butternut Squash = 455 calorie dinner





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

27 comments:

  1. I love squash! This looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting dish, sounds good though with sour cream, garlic and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. And if your squash hating husband like it, maybe mine will too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now my mouth is watering! I am looking forward to checking out your blog!

    Stopping by from NFF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe sounds great and very easy to make. I am definitely going to try it. I love butternut squash, well actually I like any winter squash.
    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so good!! I made squash last night and just ended up cooking it with olive oil and onions...boring LOL I'm going to have to try this recipe out :)

    I'm your newest follower and hope you have a great day!

    murrayfamily213.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE squash
    and Zuccini
    YUMMMM o
    I am a Veggie LOVER!

    xoxo
    bB

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really good! I love squash and am always looking for new ways to prepare it! Thanks for the recipe. Visiting from NFF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe you made a delicious looking dinner under 500 calories!!

    GREAT SITE!! I can't wait to explore more!! I am your newest FRIDAY follower!

    Plz visit and follow at:
    http://www.withourbest.com
    -Karissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE squash too and will give this a try but will have to leave the chillies out! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks good! your newest follower from follow me fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that sounds really delicious!
    I've never had squash like that..was it kinda like a giant baked tasty squash omelette?

    Debbie thanks so much for linking up to Wholesome Whole Foods!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, that does it. Now I'm hungry.

    I'm your newest follower from New Friend Friday, have a great weekend!

    http://www.thanksmailcarrier.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That squash dish looks great. Wonder if my squash hating husband would eat it? Worth a try because I love it, especially winter squash. Girl you need to get yourself a little garden even if its just a row of carrots. Its fun to see them grow. Thanks for joining in on Flashback Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm your newest follower from New Friend Fridays! I really look forward to trying your recipes!

    http://dearheartdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the flavors in this. Thanks for sharing it and thanks for participating at Dining With Debbie. I really appreciate it. Maybe I'll get that button made soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks so good! My family will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. NIce! I like that it has cheese and chilies in it. Will make it more palatable for family members who don't like squash!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very clever of you, Debbi. I love butternut squash! And am always looking for new ways to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how you just trusted your instinct on this. And yeah, summer squash would have been weird to puree...this looks infinitely better!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great recipe! I love Southwestern flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That does look good Deb!!

    I would definitely try that. It's another veggie I almost never eat!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely LOVE squash. This looks like a great recipe to try. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love squash!! This looks fabulous, great post.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog!
    Have a great weekend ~LeslieMichele

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love squash, and butternut is my favourite. I will definitely be trying this!

    Now me, I'm lazy, and I HATE peeling squash. Truth to tell, I'd never even HEARD of peeling squash until this year. You want nice soft squash innards? Cut it in half, top to bottom, scoop out the seeds, and lay the halves cut side down in a casserole dish. Pour in an inch or so of water, and bake at 350 for an hour. (If you don't want to worry about the water drying out, you can cover the dish with foil.)

    When it cools a bit, all you have to do is scoop out the perfectly soft flesh with a spoon.

    It takes a little longer, but for me, totally worth it to avoid the peeling, chunking, and mashing. But mostly the peeling!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds insanely delicious! I love butternut and all of the flavors here! I'm so glad you went ahead with it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks wonderful. I love recipes with squash! And this sounds like a great combination!

    Thanks for stopping by for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete