Saturday, July 3, 2010

Lemon Blueberry & Raspberry Amish Friendship Bread





I made a few rounds of the Amish Friendship Bread many, many years ago.  I got the starter from someone and there were 3 recipes on the paper with instructions.  I have no idea what they were but one of them was lemon and we remembered that we liked the lemon the best.  So I knew as soon as I got this that I wanted to try one with lemon. 

I debated what to put WITH the lemon.  I've been wanting to put fruit in this bread and I knew this was the perfect time to do it. 

I've been having the best results cooking the bread in 2 - 8 x 8 pans.  So I decided to put raspberries in one and blueberries in the other. 



Both were awesome.  The raspberries stood out more as they are more tart but the sweetness of the blueberries was delicious. 

The lemon was fairly subtle and I think I would go another 1/4 tsp. of the lemon extract next time. I was afraid of overpowering it so I was cautious.  This was delicious bread, so very delicious that I ate way too much before giving the rest away. 


Check out my other Amish Bread creations:
Week 1 - Cinnamon Bread
Week 2 - Almond Joy

 


Lemon Blueberry or Raspberry Amish Friendship Bread

About 1 cup of starter
3 eggs
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. lemon extract
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
2 small boxes of lemon instant pudding
Raspberrys or blueberries.

Spray 2 loaf pans or 2 - 8 x 8 pans with cooking spray.  Lightly sugar the pans.  Mix all ingredients together but for the fruit. Gently fold in raspberries or blueberries and pour evenly into the sugared pans.  Lightly sprinkle with a bit of sugar on the top of batter. Bake for 1 hour at 325. Cool and serve.





20 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic. I love fruity treats in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cake or bread? That is the question.

    Either way, with the fruit it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is another delicious looking one! I love the combined flavors of the raspberries and blueberries and this recipe sounds easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would not be able to resist the blueberry bread! I'm crazy for them and this looks so scrumptious! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks awesome :)

    I might suggest an apple cinnamon too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, this looks delicious! I may have to give this a try once I work up the courage to attempt to make the starter lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. The BSI is Raspberries this week- you should enter your bread!

    http://thenondairyqueen.blogspot.com/

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds great. Did it taste more cakey or still like bread?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not made friendship bread in probably at least 13 years!! Oh man, the memories! I've never actually added anything like fruit or nuts or the like to it! Perhaps it's time for me to start the trend around here again... Looks delicious, Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great combo of fruits to make this great bread.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like sourdough bread and these seem like great variations on the ususal straight ahead bread recipes. They'd be a nice addition to a grilled meal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your breads look seriously delicious. I've never thought to experiment with the dough. I've always used it in the same state I received it. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. can you please send me a piece of that? YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds wonderful. Thanks so much for the recipe. I have been trying to eat healthier and this will fit right in Ü

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an awesome creation! I love raspberries.

    Also, your blog has received the Sunshine Award. Stop by my blog to pick it up :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The raspberry bread looks like cake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this looks yummy

    but in reply to the comment you posted on my blog.
    YES the mailbox happiness is totally dying.
    Its weird I was just thinking about that last night
    It's so sad, and I REFUSE to let that happen...at least for me anyway.
    Have you ever heard of Postcrossing??? if not, and you love to mail things and recieving mail
    you should Join.
    OH MY HEAVENS, it is SO SOOOo much fun.
    You send postcards all over the world [its free, except for the international stamp, which is only $.98]
    Check it out:) www.postcrossing.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my... I'm soooo trying to make the first one tomorrow!!!! =) thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. My Mom is an Amish Bread person... she has had started for as long as I can remember, we have really appreciated your recipes! I've passed them on to her and she is baking away.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks Yummy! I'm having a link party Cast Party Wednesday. This recipe would be a perfect addition. Would you come over and share some of your recipes with us?
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete