Saturday, July 17, 2010

Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Red Onion Jam



I won some cheese!!!! 

Jennifer from Slim Shoppin' graciously sent me a coupon for a free pack of cheese from Sargento!  She also sent a bunch of Lean Cuisine coupons which is perfect because I LOVE those and always try matching up sales with coupons!  So go over to her blog and give her a high five for me!

This proved to be the perfect time for me to try some different flavors of cheese that I don't usually buy.  Plus I've had this recipe for awhile and have been dying to make it!!  

I read about these grilled cheese sandwiches from Kristen over at Holy Cannoli.  I saw this red onion sauce and knew it would be a winner.  It didn't disappoint!




I often make grilled cheese for the kids, we usually just use cheddar, colby jack or the dreaded american cheese.  Pretty standard. I already had cheddar and gruyere in the frig so I took my coupon for free Sargento cheese and got me some muenster!  

The caramelized red onion jam is incredible. I could seriously just eat it with a spoon.  I already have ideas for how to use it again.  Burgers, pork loin or quesadillas would be awesome with it.  

Have you ever had an Arby's beef and cheddar?  It has an onion bun, roast beef, cheddar and a sauce.  The flavor of this grilled cheese totally reminded me of a beef and cheddar sandwich. Without the roast beef of course. 

We didn't use any fancy bread, I just used my standard low calorie bread.  Even with that, it still is a pretty high calorie sandwich.  I paired with a very low calorie coleslaw and it was a delicious meal.





Grilled Cheese with Red Onion Jam
Adapted from Holy Cannoli

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 large red onion, sliced
3 tbsp. splenda
1 tsp. molasses (or use brown sugar instead of splenda/molasses)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3 tbsp. water
4 slices muenster
4 slices gruyere
4 slices sharp cheddar
8 slices - Sara Lee wheat 45 calorie bread

Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat.  Add the onions and cook for about 10 - 15 minutes.  Add the splenda, molasses, red wine vinegar and 3 tbsp. water and cook until the liquid is reduced completely and the onions are caramelized, about 10 more minutes.  Set aside.

Butter the outside of each slice of bread and arrange, butter side down, on a plate or sheet pan to assemble.  Place 2 pieces of cheese, then a heaping tablespoon of the onions and another slice of cheese.  Cover it with another slice of bread, butter side up. I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter to keep the calories low.

Heat large pan over medium. Put the sandwiches into the pan and cook until the bread is toasted and golden and cheese is melted, about 4 minutes on each side. 

Total calories = 1590 calories
4 servings = 398 calories per sandwich

1 Grilled Cheese with Red Onion Jam + Apple Cole Slaw515 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

19 comments:

  1. I love grilled cheese! Every year they have a grilled cheese festival and contest in LA. This would be a great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have just given me such a craving for grilled cheese! That sandwich looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always a huge fan of grilled cheese, but this sounds so much better than the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for visiting our blog!

    I love seeing blogs that have recipes for healthy eating options. I'll have to browse around a bit and look at the tasty pictures.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got coupons from Jenn also - isn't she awesome! I love the sound of red onion jam...I need to make some, and then make this sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a fantastic grilled cheese! Which we love in our house. I have to try it because I love the beef and cheddar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a perfect recipe for my husband because he likes to a little touch of sweet with his savory...I may just give it a try!

    Also, if you have a chance to visit my blog I hope that you will enter my LATEST Vera Bradley Giveaway that I just posted!

    J. Claire

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those onions sound delicious! I bet they go great with the savory cheese. Sounds like a great lunch dish. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the sound of the red onion jam! It's a wonderful twist on grilled cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! I love a new twist on grilled cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So you realize how good this looks? Not fair to tempt us, like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very creative Debbie. You make low cal food look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yum!!! I would so eat 7 of those!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The red Onion jam sounds really interesting,I gonna try it soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nothing better than free cheese! :D And from my sister to boot!

    I am making your cauliflower dish later this week - I'll let you know how it turns out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh yeah! There is a sandwich like this at witchcraft! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am glad that you liked them. Yours look so good that I want to make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks like a slightly decadent and very delicious sandwich--I love a good grilled cheese. Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays!

    ReplyDelete