Thursday, July 22, 2010

Fruit with Pina Colada Dip






We've had a number of parties and family picnics this summer!  I've enjoyed them all and have been having so much fun trying new recipes out. 

Last year for a party, I made a fruit dip consisting of cream cheese and marshmallow fluff.  I got this idea from my mother in law.  It was highly delicious but super high in calories too. I don't even want to THINK about how many calories I was putting on my nice, healthy fruit!

So this year, I wanted something tasty yet way healthier.  I've had this recipe in my bundle for many years and just haven't made it.  It was super easy, delicious and wayyyyyyyyy healthier than the other fruit dip. 

I went a bit easy on the rum extract as I knew kids would be eating it.  Most of the kids even liked it and it was a great hit!  I would have loved to have pineapple on the fruit tray as well but the one that I bought went bad and there wasn't time to get another one.  Kiwi would have been awesome too.

This is linked with:
 Ultimate Recipe Swap from Life As Mom.
On The Grill over at Our Homeschool Home
Eat at Home Ingredient Spotlight: Coconut

Fruit with Pina Colada Dip

2 (6 oz) Fat Free French Vanilla Yogurt (100 calories)
1 tsp. rum extract or dark rum
3 tbsp. flaked coconut, toasted
2 tbsp. finely chopped pineapple

Mix everything together, serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.  Serve with assorted fruit.  You can sprinkle another tablespoon of toasted coconut on top if you want it to look pretty. 

Total calories for dip = 315 calories


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

25 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a dip! Will definitely have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I hear the phrase pina colada these days I start thinking of the song by jimmy buffett...

    This dip looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy. Would make a nice breakfast on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a fun dip! A friend of mine was looking for a dip for work. I wish I would have known about it sooner because she would have loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really tasty. My husband loves fresh fruit so we keep plenty of it around... and with papaya, honeydew and watermelon being our main crops..well, this will certainly be welcomed lift.
    Have a great day!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMmmmm! Sounds great! I'm not fond of the taste of regular rum, so I would probably use either coconut rum or some coconut extract. Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds perfect! A couple of my favorites: coconut and pineapple. Will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK. you had me with the pina colada. This sounds great and a must try! Thanks, Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum! ive actually done it with cool whip free and yogurt...SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum! That is my kind of dip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, this sound delicious, Debbi!

    Thanks for linking up to On the Grill this week. You were a fantastic Guest Judge last week!!!

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That sounds really good, and much lower in calories than the cream cheese and marshmallow fluff.

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My MIL's fruit dip tips the scales at 1100 calories and it only has four ingredients!

    I am bummed because its too hot to turn the oven on and I wanted to do your cauliflower/artichoke side dish . . . waah hot weather!

    I think the temps will be in the 80s next week - hope so, otherwise I'll have to figure out how to make it on the grill!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a scrumptious treat! Refreshing and healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This dip sounds super delicious! (But the cream cheese and marshmallow fluff sounds pretty darn good too!) =o)

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like a great fruit dip. Since we eat a lot of fruit at my house [and are shooting for a lower-calorie dip], this looks perfect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is perfect for partes! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a keeper fruit dip. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will try this dip for sure. I am such a "dippy" kind of person. I will let you know what I think...havent tried a thing I dont like yet. Turkey burgs again tomorrow....cant wait. Oh, and my mom called me tonight to tell me she had the meat all ready to have them tomorrow night too. haha

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. This pina colada dip sounds great. Plus if the kids are getting a little loud and boisterous, you can always add more rum to it ;) (joking! ish)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice way to get the kids to eat fruit...not to mention the grown ups.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmm.. I love [virgin] pina coladas!!! Sounds like my type of dip (minus the rum :))

    clothed much, a modest fashion blog

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the tips it gives me more information about pina colada dip, Really it is a healthy or helpful for all the people. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete