Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Everything Kids Cookbook - Cinnamon Apples & Broccoli, Ham & Cheese Potato

-

I won a cookbook!  It's The Everything Kids Cookbook.

Robyn from Our Homeschool Home sent me this awesome kids cookbook.   She has an awesome weekly event, On The Grill.  Link up every Thursday and she or a guest judge picks the winner on Sunday. You don't even have to have a grilling recipe, follow the theme or whatever floats your boat! 

Anyways, this is a great cookbook. My kids got a hold of it immediately and started putting markers in recipes they wanted to try. My 13 year old daughter has shown interest in learning to cook but my 11 year old son, hasn't ever wanted to. Until this cookbook. He was excited to try a few of the recipes. 



So first up was Cinnamon Apples.  I can't believe I've never made this for the kids before.   




First I cut the apples with the apple wedger into 8 pieces. Then I cut them each in half so there were 16 pieces.




He proceed to measure out the 1 teaspoon of sugar and the 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.   



Then they all took turns shaking the bag.  That was the fun part!!  Those apple really got shaken pretty well!!




Voila!  The result was sticky, sweet, cinnamon apples. 



They all absolutely loved them! We have made them several times now and they always have fun shaking the bag! 




Another thing that I loved about the cookbook is the fun and games. On every page, there are games, trivia, fun facts and a bunch of other tidbits.  I would totally recommend this cookbook to anyone with kids.  If I hadn't won it, I would have bought it. Seriously. My kids have looked through it dozens of times in just the few weeks that I've had it.   



He also wanted to try the Broccoli Stuffed Baked Potato. Its funny, he loves baked potatoes, he loves broccoli but I've never combined the two for him.  We added ham to this and he loved it!  We've made it a few times already.  And he's my picky eater so if he likes it, it's totally a winner! 

Thank you Robyn again for this fantastic gift! 

This is linked with:
 Works For Me Wednesday at We Are THAT Family.
What's For Dinner at Hon, What's For Dinner? 
No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table.
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries.





Cinnamon Apples

1 apple (we like green granny smiths or fuji)
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Cut apples with an apple slicer into 8 slices. Cut apples with a knife until you have 16 slices.  You can cut them however you'd like but the more apple surface, the more cinnamon taste you'll have.  Place in a gallon sized baggie.  Put sugar and cinnamon in baggie, close and shake until apple is coated. Then shake some more because it's fun!  Eat apples and be sure to wash your hands after because they are really sticky!


Calories = 114 calorie snack

Broccoli Stuffed Baked Potato

1 medium potato
1/4 cup broccoli florets
2 tbsp. cheese, shredded
2 oz. ham chunks. 

Wash and scrub potato. Poke it with a fork a few times. Cook in the microwave for about 5 - 6 minutes until soft.  Cut the potato open, set aside.  Place broccoli in a small bowl with about 1 tsp. water and cook in microwave for about 2 minutes to soften and heat.  Heat ham chunks in microwave until hot (I actually pan fried them). Drain any excess water.  Stuff potato with broccoli and top with ham and cheese. Place in microwave again and heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute until cheese is melted.  Cool a bit and enjoy!! 
Total calories = 292 calories

1 Broccoli Stuffed Baked Potato = 292 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

15 comments:

  1. Woohooo, The Everything Series...I just had my cookbook with them....The Everything Rice Cooker Cookbook :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have just as much fun with the cookbook as the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cinnamon apples idea as a snack. Always looking for ways to get the kids to eat more fruit.

    I also like the Broccoli Stuffed Potato as a quick dinner option.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! That baked potato is calling my name. That sounds like a really cute book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fun cookbook! love the pics of your kids helping you-too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on winning the cookbook! I am going to give the cinnamon apples a try today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome cookbook! I love that your kids are having so much fun. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun recipes for kids. I started my kids on the William Sonoma cookbooks for kids years ago. Ten years later, we all still cook from them! It was invaluable when they went away to college - they are just used to cooking from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun cookbook! Apples and cinnamon just seem to go together. And I totally dig the potato too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My girls love making cinnamon apples. Congrats on your tv spot. How exciting! And I'm flattered that you love my recipe (actually it is my mom's, but used here often).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love On the Grill! Congrats for winning a cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Debbie, I noticed you were hoping to win some of the dressings being given away...I, too, have a giveaway going on..you can leave comments on my giveaway post until Fri. night at 10..Central. I'll announce the 5 winners on Pink Saturday.
    Come on over...and GOOD LUCK.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats!! Love the pictures of the kids. So cute!! Both recipes look great!! Sounds like food my family would love!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man, what kids wouldn't love those cinnamon apples!? This (big) kids totally would! What a great cookbook...I think I need to hunt this down =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks great.. thanks for sharing recipes.. my home was burned to the ground 2 weeks ago so I lost all my cookbooks sadly.. so nice someone got us a computer so I can find some .. this looks like it would be fun for my grandkids too! Thanks

    ReplyDelete