Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Crockpot Chicken Mole




Chocolate for dinner.

This really has chocolate in it.  Plus it's made in the crock pot.  A winning combination if you ask me!   

In the original recipe, from The Domestic Engineer, she dredged the chicken in flour and seared it before putting it in the crock pot.  I dumped frozen chicken tenders in the crock pot.  She probably had more flavor but mine was easier.  

The sauce, while delicious, is slightly annoying.  It is prepared on stove and then pureed.  When cooking with the slow cooker, I'm all about just dumping it in the crock and dinner is done.  But I went with it as I was super eager to try this.  

So I simmered away on the stove and then pureed most of it, I left it pretty chunky as I figured I would like it that way. I did. It was great.  

Personally, if I were to make this again, I would just dump it all in the crock pot and forget about simmering and pureeing on the stove. You're going to get a completely different texture and meal, it's going to be chunky, you'll have some almond bits but that wouldn't matter to me.  If it matters to you, go ahead and puree. I'm okay with that.

Those of you who know and care what TRUE chicken mole is, are probably incredibly insulted but this method of cooking but hey, I'm all about simple here. I'm no chef, just a mom who likes to eat good food!  I think that the flavor would be the same, just more chunky. 

I LOVED the cinnamon in here and the flavor was wonderful.  You could put the chicken mole over rice or pasta. We chose to put it over a baked potato and broccoli. After photographing, I quickly mixed it all up and it was fantastic!  I did put a bit of sour cream on it too.

I enjoyed it on lettuce for a couple of lunches this week too! 

Don't forget to enter my CSN Giveaway for $40!

I am the guest judge this week over at On The Grill over at Our Homeschool Home.  I will feature the winners recipe here on my blog and of course will get a snazzy button from Robyn's blog as the winner!  You can enter any recipe you'd like!  Go there now and enter your recipe, the link is open until Sunday evening!

This is linked with Recipe Share over at Harrigan Howdy!  Also with Cooking Thursday over at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.




Crock Pot Chicken Mole
Adapted from The Domestic Engineer


1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp.cinnamon
1 - 14.5 oz.can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 oz. bittersweet chocolate (I used semi sweet)
1 tsp. oregano
Salt and pepper
1 chicken bouillon cube
1/2 cup water (or you could just sub 1/2 cup chicken broth)


Put chicken breasts into slow cooker, turn on low. Mine were breast tenders and they were frozen. 

Saute onion in a bit of cooking spray for a couple of minutes.  Add almonds and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often as not to burn the almonds.  Add in chili powder, cumin and cinnamon, stir in for a minute.  Add diced tomatoes with the liquid, chocolate, oregano, salt, pepper, bouillon cube and water (or chicken broth).  Stir around and let it simmer for a couple of minutes. 

Carefully place into a blender or use an immersion blender to blend together to make a smoother sauce. I left mine a bit chunky.  Continue to cook until slightly thickened, you don't want to put it in the slow cooker too thin.  When sauce is done, pour over chicken in slow cooker. Cook on low for 5 - 7 hours or until done. Shred chicken and mix in with the sauce.  Serve over pasta, rice or baked potatoes.  We ate ours over baked potatoes and broccoli.


Total calories = 1437 calories
6 huge servings = 240 calories per serving

Baked potato, sour cream, broccoli with chicken mole = 461 calorie dinner




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

15 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! One of the things I love about recipes is they are just a starting place. You can change then and make them your own and along the way sometimes you come up with a great new recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of dishes like this but find it hard to imagine what it actually tastes like. Only one way to find out I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my slow cooker! Keep crockpot recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely making this when I get home from TX. It kind of reminds me of my chili I make. I think I will leave it kind of chunky, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mole is far and above one of my favorite meals! Any excuse to have chocolate for dinner :P I love this crockpot version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is so amazing about crockpot recipes is that it's so easy to prepare yet you can enjoy a hearty dinner with the rest of the family. Imagine going along with your daily house chores and routines while dinner is simmering away, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am on your side - I believe the crock pot is for dumping, turning on and you are done! I bet that would be good on a baked potato too!

    One of my favorite crock pot recipes, or what I like to call $27 meat sauce, is amazing.

    http://biz319.wordpress.com/2009/01/26/italian-sunday-gravy/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love mole and I love your crock-pot version of the dish. You always feature such great food. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH MY!!!! That looks SOOO yummy I am going to have to try it out! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now this looks fabulous. anything in the crockpot makes me happy :) And I cant believe how low the calories....

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could get on board with a chicken dish that has chocolate in it - YUM!

    I made your chicken salad the other day but had to subsitute poppy seeds for black sesaeme bc my local grocer didn't have any poppy. It was still delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love mole! I wish I could have some right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks so good! i love chicken mole.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow... this looks so good! it has been added to my recipes to try list. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbi, I made this last night and LOVED it! So delicious and filling!

    ReplyDelete