Monday, July 12, 2010

Cheesy Artichokes, Cauliflower and Red Pepper



Well, the steak here was less than impressive. I didn't do anything fancy with flavor and it was overcooked.  These vegetables totally made up for it!  They completely rocked!



The whole family loved this and polished the whole thing off in one night so no leftovers for me. 

I have a secret though.

I didn't tell the husband there were artichokes in here.  They kinda hid themselves amongst all the cheesy sauce. He asked at one point "what are the green things?"  I just vaguely said something about green onions.  Tee-hee.  He never knew. He doesn't even know what an artichoke IS but he won't even eat my cheesy, delicious artichoke dip JUST because it has an "unknown vegetable". 

Well, the jokes on him because he loved this!  Yea!







Cheesy Artichokes, Cauliflower and Red Pepper
Adapted from Cooking Club magazine, January 2010

4 cups cauliflower florets (about 12 oz)
1 can artichokes, drained and chopped
2/3 cup red pepper, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp. butter
1 garlic clove
1 1/2 tbsp. flour
3/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup gruyere cheese (or swiss)
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Place cauliflower in a bowl with some water and microwave for about 3 minutes until starting to soften but still crisp.  Drain and rinse.  Toss cauliflower, artichokes, pepper and green onions in a large bowl. 

Melt butter in a pan.  Cook and stir in garlic for about 30 seconds.  Whisk in flour, cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Pour in milk, whisking constantly.  Whisk until smooth for a couple of minutes and starting to thicken.  Add salt and pepper and shredded gruyere cheese.  Pour cheese sauce over veggies and mix. 

Spoon vegetables into an 8 x 8 pan sprayed with cooking spray.  Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake 35 - 40 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbling. 

Total calories = 920 calories
6 servings = 153 calories

4 oz. steak with steak sauce + Cheesy Artichokes, Cauliflower and Red Pepper + watermelon = 413 calorie dinner





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

17 comments:

  1. This artichoke dish looks fantastic! I love that you tricked your husband into eating it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good Deb.. have to try this one..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so going to make this dish! Lucky for me, my husband likes artichokes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, I thought I was one of your followers but apparently I was not. Now I am:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good! I am going to have to try this one soon. I will probably tell my daughter that it has celery and not artichokes, seems to work most of the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, artichokes are my favorite and combined with cheese and red pepper. Yum. This looks so wonderful. I can think of so many occasions to use this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAH. This is why I adore you. Smart move, my friend. Smart. Move.

    I love this side dish! I'd rather have a whole dishful of this than steak anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks and sounds great! Way to go with the green onions, you gotta' do what you gotta' do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never even tried cauliflower until a few years ago - its so good! Maybe because I don't like it raw and always saw it on a veggie tray is this hard white thing?

    Putting it on my ever growing list of things to make!

    BTW, I tried to add pureed veggies into my husbands meat loaf once, um, that didn't fly too well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't need any steak. This would do for me. Happily, I don't have to trick anyone into eating artichokes (but I loved that you did). This looks absolutely scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can't go wrong with cheese and cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see why these vegetables rock! Rock on! The steak is now irrelevant. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's sly! I do the same thing to my family sometimes...or I try to. They usually figure it out. This is some serious comfort food. Totally delicious! Thanks for sending it to the Showdown!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't love artichokes either but covered with cheese and mixed up with the other veggies I love - all I can say is yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love ravioli. this dish looks so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tee-hee...I sneak veggies into my hubby's meals as well.

    ReplyDelete