Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Broccoli with Caramelized Onions & Garlic



We eat a lot of broccoli. It's one of the vegetables that we will all eat.  Usually.  The kids like it plain. I like it with some flavor. 

I also love onions, especially caramelized onions so when I saw this recipe recently, I knew it would be a hit. 


I did add some garlic as we are big garlic fans as well.  I also skipped the cheese that she originally put on it.  Nothing against cheese, it's awesome, we just didn't need it with this. 

This was a fantastic dinner and I'll be making it again for sure!
 




Broccoli with Caramelized Onions & Garlic
Adapted from Food Junkie from Texas

2 large onions, sliced
1/2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
2 head of garlic
1 lbs. broccoli
1 tbsp. butter

Add oil to a pan, saute onions until caramelized on medium heat, about 20  minutes.  Add vinegar, garlic, butter and broccoli and cook for about 8 minutes until broccoli is steamed.  Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Total calories = 457 calories
4 servings = 114 calories per serving

Pork Tenderloin with Cherry, Strawberry & Kiwi Reduction + Broccoli with Caramelized Onions = 521 calories



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

19 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful. Broccoli was one vegetable that we all agreed on as well. Interesting!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy. I'm always looking for new veggie recipes and this is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for trying out my recipe! I'm glad your family liked it. The garlic sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I will have to try this next time I make broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that garlic and the broccoli looks pretty good too! I will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh, this sounds wonderful. CAn't wait to try it. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious and a nice way to serve broccoli. Good flavour combination here.

    PS - I used Splenda Brown Sugar in the chicken dish I posted today. It tasted just as good :) Most other recipes featured honey, but I liked this one as it has lemon juice for added sweetneass. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I LOVE broccoli and onions! I am definitely going to have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great and easy side dish! I hope you'll hop over to No Whine Wednesday and check out the leek side dish idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! Anything to spice up the only veggie my hubby will eat is great! Thanks for voting for my son! That was so sweet! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Onions - Check
    Broccoli - Check
    Garlic - Check

    I guess I'm going to have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to try that. I have to say, I almost never eat broccoli, so I have to make that and see if I will like it!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what does onions and garlic not make better? especially carmelized onions? YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! Two of my favorites. Maybe I could get hubby to eat cooked broccoli with this recipe. I am bookmarking this one. You are so GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!! I missed the balsamic vinegar the first glance. This had an incredible flavor combinations. Did I mention I LOVE this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We love broccoli and onions too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Broccoli is one of my favorites too...this sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Made this the other night!! One word..DELICIOUS!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I featured this on my Tried it Out Thursday post. Linked it to you and gave you all the credit!!

    ReplyDelete