Thursday, July 29, 2010

Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato Pasta Salad




I love quick easy salads.  This one totally fits the bill. Plus it has bacon. How can you ever go wrong with bacon???

I've seen this at deli's for a lot of money, it's quite expensive and by the time you've brought it anywhere, the lettuce is all wilted and worthless. 

Save yourself a ton of money and make this one. Seriously. It's good.

I made it for my Luau recently and it was the only salad that completely disappeared.  I made it again a month later for a BBQ at my dad's.  Again, it was a complete hit. 

I like to make the noodles and the bacon the night before. I put about 3/4 of the ranch dressing in the noodles right away so it soaks in all the nummy-ness.  (that's a word, right?)  Then it's easy to just grab it and throw it together. 

This is linked with:
 Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home.
Flashback Friday over at Kitchen Bouquet.
Presto Pasta Nights hosted this week by Daphne from More Than Words.
Ingredient Spotlight:Bacon at Eat at Home




BLT Salad
Adapted from Full Bellies, Happy Kids

1 - 14.5 oz. box of Rotini, Barilla Plus (you can use any rotini, I just like this kind)
1 bottle ranch dressing, light (I used Kraft Three Cheese Ranch)
2 - 3 tomatoes, diced
1 pack turkey bacon (I used Jennie'o Extra Lean Turkey Bacon)
1/2 head lettuce, shredded

Cook pasta according to package. Cool.   Cook bacon until crispy. Cool and crumble. Stir ranch into noodles. Add bacon, tomatoes and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Add lettuce right before ready to serve.  **I like to make the noodles ahead. I add about 3/4 of the dressing and leave overnight. Then I add the rest of the ranch, bacon, tomatoes later. 

Total calories = 3115 calories

This is a huge salad. I didn't measure out the portions.  If you stick to the low calorie bacon, you could probably get a large sized portion for about 150 - 200 calories tops. Feel free to add more tomato or other veggies to bulk it up a bit too! 

Other salads you might enjoy!

Quinoa Black Bean Cold Salad
Asian Coleslaw
Summer Spiced Carrot Slaw



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

22 comments:

  1. This would be great to take for lunch at work. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom used to make this she just used mayo instead of ranch. Nice job making it a little healthier using the light ranch and Barilla plus pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i first saw the photo i thought--now that doesn't look healthy at all...sign me up! then i saw all the low cal ingredients and i really thought...SIGN ME UP!!! i am definitely going to try this..i actually think i could fake out my husband with the turkey bacon too. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right about bacon...nothing can be bad with bacon in it!

    Thanks for you comment on my post yesterday. You are right...the weight will/is more stubborn to come off at this weight and it makes the losses even more exciting!

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from NFF!
    This looks and sounds really good. I'm not a huge fan of Light Ranch dressing...so I think I'll make it with the regular ranch!
    I also like the black bean cold salad recipe!
    Have a great day. I'll be back to check out your slow cooker recipes too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it has bacon, it HAS to be good. Now, I must admit, I've not tried the turkey bacon...but I will.
    Thanks for the recipe.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think you can ever go wrong with bacon! Great looking salad! My kids would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bippity Boppity Bacon!!! Can't go wrong with Bacon.

    I'm coming back from your visit to my blog. Yes, we are in the middle of MAJOR rennovations. We're building a 1250 sq ft. addition on our 780 sq ft. house...when we move into the addition, we'll tear down the old house and rebuild that to fit with the addition. We're about 5 years into a 10 year gig. It's quite an adventure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have thought for sure that this was a Rachael Ray recipe. She always combines things like this. I love the combination. This sounds like a winner when it comes to picnics or parties. I love that it is easy to make too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yum!!!! what a delicious combo of flavors. have a great weekend Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My visiting grandson's will love this recipe. It really sounds delicious. They are of an age where calories don't count :-). I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another fantastic recipe. I've made several of your recipes since you've been here! You, Biz and TJ are my go-to recipe people!

    I hear you on the weight maintenance at a place you'd rather not be. Siiigh! It's hard to get and stay consistent. And it would be a lot easier if food wasn't so good:)

    Yesterday I read on someone's blog that another blogger recently reached her goal, but for several years (YEARS) she did the same thing we're doing. Ahh, hope!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi There,

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog. That means a lot to me.

    I love pasta salads during the summer. They're so versatile and flavorful. The fact that you made this version healthy, but cut down none of the flavor is wonderful! I can easily see why it disappeared so fast at the Luau and BBQ. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm, bacon. That one looks like another winner! Happy Friday!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's for Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This seriously is making my mouth water! I must try this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love pasta salads and I usually make mine very similar to this. Thanks for joining in this week with Flashback Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. awesome idea on BLT! I like how u give suggestions to make this low calorie or even a smaller portion size. Great entry to this week Presto Pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks soooo yummy! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. If it has bacon and ranch dressing, I'm a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great salad! I should make some of this for my dad. I think he'd like it, and this is a lot more healthy than what he normally eats!

    Thanks for joining me for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete