Friday, June 11, 2010

Zucchini Egg Frittata Nests

Breakfast for dinner.  Seriously, I could do it every night. I love eggs.

Although I do eat eggs practically every morning too.

These really were the cutest little muffin cups! 

The nest is the zucchini, onion and pepper in the bottom of the muffin cup.

Then fill the bad boys up with delicious cheesy egg mixture.  I had just a tweak left over before my muffin cups would overfill.  Fill them up right to the rim.

I'm pretty sure I cooked them longer than 20 minutes.  I don't remember how much more though, not a lot.

They turned out delicious.  Mine sorta stuck to the pan.  My pan is not very good. In fact, I threw it away after making these. I bought a nice new shiny one that my eggs won't stick to. 

They were quite tasty and fun to eat.  :-)

Zucchini Egg Frittata Nests
Adapted from Sweet & Savory who adapted it from Rachael Ray
2 medium zucchini, grated
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
Salt and pepper

Egg Mixture:
4 eggs
4 egg whites
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp. parsley
3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 3 oz.
Salt and pepper
1/4 tsp. dry mustard

Cook the nest ingredients for about 5 - 7 minutes in a pan with cooking spray. Spoon evenly into 12 muffin pans sprayed with cooking spray. Push the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of each cup to form a nest.

Combine the egg mixture and spoon carefully into the nexts. I had a small bit of egg mixture left over. Bake until eggs are set and puffed, about 20 minutes, I can't remember how long I cooked them. Sorry.

Total calories = 924 calories
12 servings = 77 calories per Zucchini Egg Nest

Apple Baked Oatmeal + 3 Zucchini Egg Frittata Nests = 478 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from Some numbers are approximate and rounded.


  1. Oh goodness! These look super yummy. We do breakfast for dinner a lot. I'm also thinking these might be good to freeze so the kids can pop them in the microwave before school. Thanks for the recipe!

  2. Wow, these look really great! I love that you have so many veggies in there. I'd probably make them for breakfast, but maybe I'd go your route and cook them up for dinner too. Thanks.

  3. What a fabulous idea!!! Those look so, so good ... :)

  4. It looks delicious and I could eat breakfast for dinner all the time ~ my favorite meal of the day and you did it just right!

  5. You sound like me. I don't always time things I put in the oven so I'm not sure exactly what to say when I'm writing a recipe. These look so good. I did see RR do it, I think she got the idea from her travel show. I always wanted to try it. I think this one is great with the zucchini.

  6. I also love breakfast for dinner...but we mostly eat pancakes or french toast on those evenings :)

  7. This is my first time to your blog but it won't be the last. I love recipes for healthy food and these look yummy!

  8. How cool is this?! Two muffin tins were just delivered to my door with my new food processor so I must try this.

  9. These look great! I think I have everything on hand to make them so may have to try it this weekend. As I was reading this, I was thinking I'd need a decent muffin pan, and then you said you got a new one! Yup.

    I'm with you - could, and often do, eat eggs everyday.

  10. Breakfast for dinner just feels so much more fun than breakfast for breakfast. It's almost like subterfuge.

    I love these little nests! Full of zucchini goodness.

  11. I love breakfast for dinner too! And I like these little nests! They look totally delicious! I could eat them any time.

  12. Delish! Gotta love breakfast for dinner!

  13. This is great. I just found your blog and am really enjoying it.

  14. I tried these last night along with the Apple Baked Oatmeal. Both were really good, but one thing. The egg nests were watery, not firm. Just wondering when you cooked the onion, zucchini, pepper mixture did you cook it until the water was absorbed or strain or something? I love your blog, the recipes are good and kid friendly!


  15. These are great Debbi! I am posting the recipe on my facebook nutrition page for all to enjoy. :-).

  16. Have you tried to freeze these Debbi? I'm looking for some new OAMC ideas and these sound really good!