Saturday, June 5, 2010

White Chocolate Almond Craisin Amish Friendship Bread




So did you know that the starter for this bread, that sits on your counter, is alive?  I knew this but was trying to live in denial because it sounded creepy knowing this this bag was alive.  Until it became.  A pet.

Yes, a pet.

My kids even named it. Fred. Fred bread.  Cute.

So in order to keep Fred alive, he has to be fed every 5 days at least. So we add the sugar, flour and milk to feed Fred.

Are you as creeped out as I am?

Strange as it is, we are still enjoying the progeny of the original Fred. With many more in store for the future.

As long as we keep feeding Fred.

I'm actually going on vacation in the morning so my brother will have to take care and feed Fred. I'm sure he'll be okay.  We're going to Wisconsin Dells, the kids are excited beyond belief.  I have a few things posting automatically throughout the week but you won't actually be hearing from me.  I'll be at the waterpark. :-)

This batch was delicious.  I'm still trying to get the knack of cooking time with adding different ingredients. I added a cup of white chocolate chips to the bread and it took much longer to cook.  Mine took about 1 hour and 20 minutes, maybe even a bit longer. The outsides were slightly overdone but the insides finally got done.  I think I am going to try cooking Fred , the bread in 2 - 8 x 8 pans next time. The only problem is that by cooking them in bread loaves, I can convince myself that they are bread, cooking in an 8 x 8 pan clearly make them cake.  Oh, who am I kidding. It's cake. Tasty, moist, rich, sugary cake.

Check out my other Amish Friendship Bread recipes! 

Amish Cinnamon Friendship Bread
Almond Joy Amish Friendship Bread




White Chocolate Almond Craisin Amish Bread

About a cup or so of starter
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
2 small boxes of white chocolate instant pudding
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup craisins

Topping: 1 cup white chocolate chips, 1/2 cup slivered almonds

Spray 2 loaf pans with cooking spray and sprinkle with a dusting of sugar.  Mix all ingredients except for topping and divide evenly into the 2 pans.  Sprinkle topping evenly over the top of the loaves.  Bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes at 325. Check to see when the middle is done. Cool until bread loosens from pans, about 10 minutes.  Turn out into serving dish.  Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. I wish I had Fred bread. This bread sounds amazingly good with the white chocolate pudding. Have a fun and safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever you are. A co-worker makes friendship bread all the time for years. She is not as creative as you have been!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a gr8 recipe...will giv a try,looks perfect

    ReplyDelete
  5. This bread looks wonderful. And not to worry, you're not alone in naming your starter. In fact, I have a few friends who have done so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the name!! So cute!! You are so creative with this Friendship Bread..You make it gourmet!! Have a great vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to work in a yeast biology lab so yeah I know how alive they are (it IS a different kind of yeast though!). I try not to think about it. Although now when I smell beer, I think of bread. And not beer. Lol.

    I love this version of Friendship bread! My favorite yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made another variation of frienship cake, also delicious. I Like the flavor combo of white chocolate, almonds and craisins. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am with you....i have always been creeped out by the starter thing....good for you to have named it and fed it becasue the end result looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had some starter for this kind of bread once and it creeped me out so bad I couldn't do it. I threw it out! Now I'm disapointed because yours looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Asking about this recipe, toO! LMK Susie arteachersusan at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete