Friday, June 18, 2010

Sweet and Sour Meatballs - Taste Testing






Meatballs!  Meatballs!  Meatballs!


We had a sweet and sour taste testing!  I made my favorite meatballs and several different sweet and sour sauces. 


I kept seeing the grape jelly/chili sauce recipe.  It didn't appeal to me but I just had to try it.  I first couldn't find the chili sauce. So I used sweet chili sauce (the one with the chili flakes in it), which is used for an Asian sauce.  It was really spicy as the sweet chili sauce is quite zippy.  It was good but I could really taste the grape jelly.  Maybe it was just because I made them because everyone else couldn't specifically taste the grape jelly. 


We all liked the sauce but it wasn't the sweet and sour sauce I was looking for.  I made this version last week so there are no pictures of it. 






Then I found the Heinz Chili Sauce that all these recipes call for.  So I made the grape jelly and chili sauce version.  I used about 1 part jelly to 1 part chili sauce.





We liked this but I could still taste the grape jelly, not as much though.  I think I might have liked this more if there was more sauce.  I covered the meatballs in the sauce and then finished them up in the oven so the sauce cooked on the meatballs so it wasn't overly saucy.

Then there was the version with cranberry sauce and Heinz Chili Sauce.  This I liked better but someone else said it tasted ketchup-y.  It must have been the chili sauce they tasted.  Again, I used about 1 part cranberry sauce and 1 part Chili sauce.  This too, I think would have been even better if it was more saucy.  I liked this one more than the grape jelly one. BUT, to me, it's wasn't the sweet and sour sauce I wanted. 
Then came Uncle Bill's Sweet and Sour Sauce.  This originally caught my eye because of my kids having an Uncle Bill.  This isn't actually my brothers recipe though.  I pretty much followed the recipe as stated but I wasn't about to add MSG to it and I didn't feel the need to add red food coloring. 

This was good. Really good, it could be a little sweeter though, I like things sweet. I made this with splenda instead of sugar to cut the calories.

So now I'm torn between Uncle Bill's Sweet and Sour sauce and the one that I made several weeks ago.  I have a luau coming up and I really want to make sweet and sour meatballs.  I didn't add any pineapple or peppers to my most recent batches of sweet and sour meatballs but which ever I decide to make, I will dress up nicely and make them look pretty. 

Moral of the story. I obviously love sweet and sour meatballs and have eaten WAYYYYYYY too many in the past few weeks.  I'll let you know what I decided when I write about the Luau party.


11 comments:

  1. I think if you make the Uncle Bills and add the pineapple and peppers to it, it will give it the sweetness you are looking for. I am disappointed that the cranberry ones didn't work out I was hoping it would turn out because they sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love meatballs!!! Sorry this one didn't turn out as planned. I have a great BBQ Cola meatball recipe if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be curious to see which sauce you end up using. I sorry these didn't work for you as planned. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. the problem with sweet and sour meatballs is i can eat a ton of them.....must stay away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those meatballs look so very tasty!!! you would have to make a really big pot of those I would eat them till I burst!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sweet and sour tasting sounds fun! I don't think I've ever made them before, which is surprising given my love of meatballs. I will have to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun idea to taste test all these different sweet & sour sauces! I hope you find the most perfect one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had sweet and sour meatballs before but it sounds like just the flavor combo I would love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious!!! I haven't had sweet and sour meatballs in years! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super yummy!

    I have a Sunshine Award over on my blog "Chubby Cheeks Thinks" for you! Hope you're having an awesome weekend!

    Kim
    http://chubbycheeksthinks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never think of making meatballs so you have inspired me to try. After my weekend food extravaganza, I also need to focus on better controlling my portion sizes. Anxious to hear how the Luau turns out!

    ReplyDelete