Sunday, June 27, 2010

Slow Cooker Barbecue Baked Beans



I'd planned burgers and beans for dinner. It ended up just being the beans. We ate the burgers for lunch the next day.  I LOVE baked beans and these had the meat right in the so I didn't feel the need for a burger.  And Hubs was working.  He would have liked a burger with the beans. 

There are probably 11,100 different ways to make baked beans and I have several recipes that I want to try. I was in the mood for the slow cooker today so I chose this one. It was delicious with the smokey flavor of the liquid smoke and bacon.  I enjoyed the next day as well. 



Slow Cooker Barbeque Beans
Adapted from Allrecipes

1 lb. ground turkey
6 slices of raw bacon
1 large onion, chopped
2 cans of baked beans
1 can red kidney beans with liquid
1 can of white beans, partially drained
1 cup ketchup
2 tsp. liquid smoke
1 tsp. salt
Several dashes of hot sauce
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Cook ground turkey until done. Dump into the crock pot. Cook bacon until crispy, throw onions in with the bacon for about 3 - 4 minutes to get them started.  Throw the bacon and onion into the crockpot.  Mix all the rest of the ingredients together with the meat mixture.  Stir and cook for about 5 - 7 hours or until ready to serve. 

Total calories = 2978 calories
8 slightly heaping cups = 372 calories per cup

1 1/2 cups of Barbecue Baked Beans = 558 calorie dinner




 Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

17 comments:

  1. This makes me happy. :D I love baked beans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love beans and yours look excellent! Love the idea of using the slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely a meal in itself. This is like a baked bean chili. Very tasty looking. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Definitely would work as a meal for me and I love that you made it in a slow cooker. I will have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE baked beans! Your recipe sounds delicious!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! This looks so yummy and really, what else would you need? It's a meal in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great. I've always liked baked beans, should try making my own one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never had baked beans with ground turkey before - looks delicious!

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love baked beans! My sister in law makes some with ground beef, bbq sauce, bacon, and a jillion other things and its awesome!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup, gonna be making those soon! They look great and beans really help me make it through the day with their "stick to the ribs" staying power.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look yummy Debbi! I love liquid smoke. Just a little bit adds so much flavor. YUM! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, love, love baked beans. And in the slow cooker is even better. I could probably eat them all myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like theease of it, so good in the slow cooker. You sure don't need a burger with these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. baked beans are one of my favorite foods for sure! great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I can smell it from here! YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was looking through your recipes again....was looking for something to make for our fellowship meal after church on Sunday. This sounds perfect....I can handle dump and throw =)

    ReplyDelete