Sunday, June 13, 2010

Ravioli with Roasted Zucchini, Tomatoes and Garlic

I never really used to like ravioli. I'm guessing because the only time I've ever had ravioli is from the can. Not impressive at all. Well, this is most certainly NOT from a can. I did use frozen ravioli but it's really awesome. I used chicken ravioli today but I really prefer the cheese. The cheese has slightly more calories but more flavor I think. It doesn't matter, use what you want. It's the vegetables that shine here!

Look at all those tasty roasted vegetable! Yum!

I had a whole other pan of zucchini along with this. This was some tasty grub. Next time, I think I will throw an onion along with it. I love onions and firmly believe that every meal in the world should include an onion. Although, this was the perfect amount for the ravioli that I made.

I made the Garlic Cheddar Biscuits again with this. I don't think I used as much garlic and salt because they weren't quite as flavorful. Still excellent though! I also made them smaller so 2 of them didn't have quite as many calories.

This is linked with Just Something I Whipped Up over at The Girl Creative. Also linked at Meatless Mondays from My Sweet and Savory. Also linked with Vegetarian Food Fridays at Breastfeeding Mom's Unite.

Ravioli with Roasted Zucchini, Tomatoes & Garlic

1 head of garlic
1 - 1/4 lbs zucchini (I used about 3 fairly big ones)
1 lb of plum tomatoes (I used about 7 or 8 plum tomatoes)
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
1 package cheese or meat ravioli (I used Rosetto chicken herb, 25 oz)

Preheat oven to 500. Cut off top of head on garlic. Place in a piece of foil. Drizzle with a little bit of oil, season with salt and pepper. Close foil tightly and place on baking sheet. Slice zucchini into 1/4 in. circles or strips. Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and juices. Place both on baking sheet. Drizzle with the rest of the oil, season with salt, pepper and about 1/2 of the italian seasoning.

Roast all of the veggies until the zucchini and tomatoes are softened, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and turn off heat. Leave the garlic in the oven for about 20 more minutes. Coarsely chop the zucchini and tomatoes when they are cool enough to handle. Place in a small bowl with any of their juices. When garlic is done and cool enough to handle, squeeze it out of the peels into the same bowl.

Cook ravioli according to package directions. Heat a saute pan sprayed with a bit of cooking spray. Add the vegetable mixture, add the rest of the italian seasoning and heat. Drain the ravioli and either add it to the veggies or put veggies over the ravioli on individual plates.

Total calories = 1472 calories
4 servings = 368 servings

1 serving Ravioli with Roasted Zucchini, Tomatoes and Garlic + 2 small Garlic Cheese Biscuits = 488 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from Some numbers are approximate and rounded.


  1. That sauce really sounds great with the roasted vegetables. I think I could eat it by its self...I think frozen ravioli is pretty good too...much better than the canned stuff.

  2. Oh Yummy! Yummy! Yummy! Yummy! I too believe onions should be in every meal....I had never thought about it until you brought it up, but I can totally get behind that! :)

  3. This looks amazingly good and healthy. I have never had chicken ravioli. My favorite is mushroom ravioli but I usually just buy the cheese since that is easier to find. I still need to try your roasted pepper ravioli.

  4. I usually have ravioli in the freezer for days when dinner is just not going to happen. I love the idea of all the veggies added to the ravioli - I'm going to try this!

  5. oh debbie i love the sauce you made with all the veggies....what a great way to top your ravioli! hope you are having a great sunday night!

  6. Oh Debbie! This looks delicious! Yum!

  7. looks yummy, I will have to try that! thanks for stopping by, I will definitely be back! ;)

  8. Debbie, this looks so good! I LOVE zucchini and have definitely been craving it lately. I think I'll have to make this soon!
    I'm so glad that you are planning on participating in Two for Tuesdays and I can't wait to read your post! Thanks!!

  9. It looks delicious! You're so right about the frozen ravioli and this sounds great with the zucchini!

  10. What a wonderful recipe and yes, all those beautiful veggies. I have to print it, shop and hopefully make it, this week.

    Thanks for linking this to My Meatless Mondays. I find the best recipes there.

  11. It does look so good, I don't think you need the ravioli. Or you could stuff your own using wonton wrappers, then all that goodness you created would be all wrapped up! :D (It looks great as is!)

  12. cant wait to try them roasted i usually stir fry with olive oil

  13. Nice ravioli the idea of roasting the zucchini...very tasty looking dish :-)

  14. Those roasted veggies are such a delicious idea! Love that you paired them with ravioli!

  15. I just realized that you may not know I have a badge for My Meatless Mondays and I would love it, if you chose to add it to your other badges. I love that you always add your great food to the weekly link. Thanks for considering it.

  16. My hubby loves ravioli and I love what you've got to put on it here. Yum! We'll have to find some cheese ravioli and try this out! Thanks for linking!