Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pistachio, Pineapple, Coconut Amish Friendship Bread

This is my favorite Amish Bread so far. And it was green.

I made them in 2 - 8 x 8 pans. It cooked way better.  The last 2 were overbaked around the edges to get the middle done.  This has happened to me before with a loaf pan.  Maybe it's just me. I like the 8 x 8 better so I am going to stick with that. Unless I decide to get fancy and make a bundt cake.  We'll see.

Clearly I'm sticking with the amish bread thing.  Everyone is enjoying it and it's fun. I'm not a baker.  At all.  So this is fairly new to me.  Plus it's fun to "invent" new ones.  I've been getting a lot of advice so the creativity is NOT my own.

The only problem with cooking in an 8 x 8 pan is that it officially becomes cake.  I could rationalize calling it bread when it came out of a loaf pan but clearly in this pan, it's cake.  It cooked perfectly and was light and spongy!  Yum!  My kids asked if there was frosting as it LOOKS as if it should have frosting but let me tell you, it doesn't need frosting at all. It's plenty sweet! I suppose if you serving this at a party, a nice glaze would look nice but it's fantastic just the way it is! 

Check out my other Amish Bread creations!
Week 1 - Cinnamon
Week 2 - Almond Joy

Pistachio, Pineapple, Coconut Amish Bread

About a cup of Amish starter
1 cup oil
3 eggs
2 tbsp. milk
1 cup crushed pineapple, throughly drained (I pressed it with a paper towel)
1 cup flaked coconut
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
2 small boxes of instant pistachio pudding

Coat 2 loaf pans or 2 - 8 x 8 pans with cooking spray.  Coat lightly with sugar.  Mix everything together and pour into pans. Bake 1 hour at 325.  Let cool before serving. 


  1. Looks yummy, but I fear if I made it, I'd methodically eat it til gone! I know my family would love if I made more stuff like this, but they are the kind of folks who can have a piece a day and leave it alone the rest of the time. What's that about?!

  2. What an interesting combination. I would never think to pair pistachio with pineapple and coconut but it sounds good and it looks good too.

  3. That sounds yummy. I think i have a starter in the freezer...if not I'm going to have to hunt someone down that has one.

  4. Yumm!!
    I clicked onto your blog today after seeing your post on Leslies blog...wow, I'm loving your blog so far!! I can't wait to try your summer squash cassarole or your apple chili! I must come back with a cup of coffee and read the whole thing lol.

  5. Lov everything in them...looks delish...

  6. I have a funny story about Amish bread. My friends mom had been "feeding" her starter for 10 days and was so anxious to make bread!

    My friend thought it was pancake batter and made pancakes with it!!

  7. I love this tropical combination of coconut and pineapple! So summery!

  8. I think it sounds like a great combo too. I guess the pistachios made it come out green!

  9. It's so flavorful and delicious. I love every ingredient you used.

  10. Jenn@slim-shoppinJune 16, 2010 at 11:31 AM

    That looks awesome!

    I was just given Friendship bread starter and started to follow the directions, keep it on the counter, mush it every day for several days, add stuff, then mush again. Long story short, it got pushed behind a cereal box on my counter and it got all moldy! EWW!!!

    I've had that type of bread before and you are right, it's so good!

  11. That looks delish!!!!My mom always throws a handfull of sugar on top of her breads before baking them and it's fabulous. I wonder how that would be on this?
    CONTENT - my new favorite word!
    Thank you for the comment today on my blog, I agree with what you wrote!
    Have a pretty day,

  12. It looks delicious and I love breads such as this. Interesting addition with the pistachio pudding!

  13. These flavors sound great together!

  14. OMG this looks and sounds soo good! Any idea how many calories? I am new to your blog and loving it!


  15. This one sounds awesome! Great flavor combination. I might just have to crank out some babies to try this :-)