Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Oven Baked French Fries



So my brother was reading his monthly fitness magazine and frequently shares some interesting tidbits that he runs across. He read a "chef secret" for making oven baked fries crunchier in the oven. The magazine said:

"Many restaurants double fry spuds to make them extra crispy. Get the same result by boiling the sliced potatoes for 2 to 3 minutes (to release the moisture), then draining, tossing with olive oil and baking."

Sounded interesting.

So I tried it. The fries were good. They got crispy-ish. I'm not sure it was leaps and bounds different from just cutting them and sticking them in the oven with out the preboiling. I don't make fries like this too often so I really can't compare.

Either way, these fries were good.

This is my submission to Tuesday Tastes over at Crazy Daisy. It's also linked with Tuesday at the Table from All The Small Stuff. And lets not forget Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.



Oven Crunchy French Fries
Adapted from Fitness Magazine/May 10

2 lbs. potatoes, washed and scrubbed
1 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese (optional)

Put pot on stove with water, bring to a boil. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, spray with a bit of cooking spray. Cut the potatoes into wedges, place in boiling water for about 3 minutes, drain and put into a bowl.** Add olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put on the foil lined pan in a single layer. Bake at 450 for about 12 minutes. Turn potatoes, sprinkly with parmesan cheese if using. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes more until tender and crunchy as desired. This will vary depending how thick you cut your potatoes.

Total calories without parmesan cheese = 968 calories
6 servings = 161 calories per serving

**A magazine said this helps to release the moisture allowing them to crisp more in the oven.



Maple Glazed Pork Loin + Apple Slaw + Oven Baked Fries = 473 calorie dinner




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

19 comments:

  1. Yum, we'll be making homemade fries soon here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love oven baked french fries, and yuca fries, and sweet potato fries....etc...

    I wonder if you can do that with sweet potatoes to get the moisture out of them? That's the only problem with baking sweet potatoes too much moisture and they don't always crisp up, but they're still good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! They look delicious! There's nothing like potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love baked fries. It is the only way I eat them. I have never done the boiling or soaking, I just pop them straight into the oven. I will have to give it a try to see if I can tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbi, thank you for your comment! Don't worry about witty! You blog is awesome!!! I can't do recipes or even pictures! hahhaa!
    Love your blog as is. It is perfect
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love potatoes! Boiling the potatoes first is a new idea for me that I am going to have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hardly ever fry fries, I almost always cook them in the oven....but Ive never tried them cooked this way. I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love oven roasted fries... yours look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yumm...I like just about anything involving potatoes! Your fries look nicely browned and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another tip I read when making oven fries is to bake them on top of a cooling rack so that they get crisp on both sides at the same time b/c there's not any contact with a solid surface to make them retain moisture. I haven't tried it but it sounds like it would work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll have to give your recipe a try. I don't have very good luck with oven fries. I'd love to find a recipe that really makes a crisp fry. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is it just me or is there an irony to the fact that you submerge these potatoes in water to release the moisture? The wonders of food science will never cease.

    I was actually thinking of making chili fries sometime this week for dinner and may have to give the parboiling a shot. Just so I can say parboil. It's kind of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm interesting...I never preboil my potatoes before I roast them but I'll have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you for finding me! i love biz's challenge and i love your oven baked french fries!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually like oven fries better than the fried kind. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love oven baked fries! So much better for you, too makes them even better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to try this technique! And I love them with Parmesan! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great recipe. We love oven baked french fries in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for linking such a YUMMO recipe to Tuesday Tastes! People's Choice Award polls are open, stop by and vote for your fav when you get a chance! http://crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com/2010/06/tuesday-tastes-peoples-choice-award-10.html

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

    ReplyDelete